Review - Cooper S JCW v Clio 172

blacklotus99

Fellow Frogger
As mentioned earlier, today I test drove the jcw car at a sydney dealer in order to compare it to my recently acquired Clio 172.

Quoted figures for the jcw car are as follows:

200ps @ 6950rpm (147kw)
240Nm @ 4000rpm
dry weight = 1140kg (cooper s)

First impression: A chunky little car. This particular car looked good on optional 17" shod with Pirellis. Strange two colour leather interior that didnt quite go, and all the jcw badges and the bigger twin pipes out the back.

Interior and equipment: The jcw looks to have excellent build quality. The doors are heavy and feel substantial unlike the 172. Feels like a very german car. Seats were the standard cooper s jobs, not the jcw seats which Im not sure if you can get here. Unfortunately they are flat and offer little support, though adjustment is good and they go quite low. Clio 172 seats are far better. The steering wheel is multi function with buttons for cruise control and audio. The wheel is too thin but also has good adjustment. Alloy pedals sit lower on the floor than in the 172 and are wider spaced. Gear shift placement is spot on. Audio is good unlike clio, but optional HK audio (8 speaker) sounds even better. Single cd player (stacker is $700 option). No climate control in tested car but air works adequately, unlike poor air in 172. (climate control $650 option). No xenon lights in car tested ($1160 option). The 17" wheels are optional (16" standard) at a cost of $1160 also.

Drive: First thing I notice is that the fairly short throw gearbox is quite direct somewhat like an mx5 but not as notchy, feels good but a touch light for my taste. The clutch is conventional and pedals seem to have less travel than the 172. Cant feel much as the clutch comes out gradually. The jcw feels quite stiff on 17s which I think may have to do with the very stiff sidewalls of the run flat tyres rather than chassis stiffness. Feels fairly pliable at low speed. Not as much suspension travel as the 172 and doesnt feel as well damped. (Smaller wheels help there).
Idling along in the traffic along a crappy road shows the steering has little dead ahead feel.
As the revs starts to climb the whine of the blower is different. Its not as eager to rev as the 172 and has poor throttle response in comparison, The jcw feels quite lethargic below 4500 rpm. Its torquey enough but feels quite a bit heavier than the 172. You can hear the supercharger start to wind up at around 3000rpm under which there is really nothing happening. In the 172 when the needle swings past 5000rpm the engine takes on a different character and you get the induction noise followed by the car rushing to the redline. The jcw is different. It feels much more linear but has no noticeable surge of power like the 172. It seems slightly faster (6.7 to 100) from the drivers seat and feels like it has a bit more top end than the 172. That said it doesnt feel a lot faster on the straight.

Handling: This was the interesting part. The jcw steering feels slightly quicker in the rack than the 172 and therefore a touch more direct, although the feedback is sadly lacking. Very tough to get much sense of the road surface through the wheel when in the twisty stuff. All in all ,172 steering is probably better. After the initial lethargy of the blower, when its spinning hard and the corner approaches, the car feels a touch lazy. It feels higher geared in 2nd and 3rd than the 172 and so keeping it in the zone in quite tight stuff was not that easy. It feels like it wants to go off boost. Throw it in hard and it sticks quite well up to 9/10ths. After that there is hint of understeer followed by a slight four wheel drift before the traction control comes on. The car has very little body roll, most likely because of the run flat 17s which have a very stiff sidewall and I suspect this is the cause of the drift. Car doesnt really feel taily in the same way as the 172 at full pace. Would be nice to have more feedback through the bum and the wheel when at pace but it feels a bit remote. Though the clutch has no feel also, the shift is a cracker. Very direct and positive. The shift is far superior to the 172.

To wrap up.
Positives: Gearshift action, linear power delivery, interior feel, build quality.

Negatives: Central tacho (why bother, its annoying), Supercharger whine (even with bigger exhaust still sounds crap), run flat tyres, suspension dampening and travel, crap seats, price.

Conclusion: This is a pricey car. $56K plus options and on roads. From inside and out it looks quality. Unfortunately its not fast enough and the suspension needs work. The run flat tyres are dreadful and hamper roadholding and steering feel.
Its a lot of money for a little car, and it left me a bit uninspired. The 172, although not as fast, has more feedback and feel just about everywhere, the seats are way better and feels much more athletic and agile when at pace. The down sides I think we all know. Crap build quality etc etc. For almost half the price the 172 is a more rewarding and fun car to drive at pace. Its nowhere near as sophisticated as the jcw but as a drivers car, and particularly a handling car, the 172 wins by some distance.
If its a cool retro thing you are after then there is no contest. The jcw has build quality and "coolness" in spades.

Thanks for the review. That's pretty much how I felt when I drove the Cooper S on the 17s. Except for me the air con didn't work very well on a 35 degree day.

I found it to be quite sterile, and well...German, really.

It's very interesting to hear the JCW really didn't get rid of the lack of eagerness from that engine. It's swift on paper, but in the real world it's still a vague toy that doesn't provide too many thrills on Sydney's cracked up roads.

Are you going to be able to make it to the Sydney meet on May 1?

Conclusion: This is a pricey car. $56K plus options and on roads. then there is no contest. The jcw has build quality and "coolness" in spades.
whoah $56K plus options and on roads vs. $35K inc. onroads for the RS Clio (another post on the forum quoted this figure)

Thats a helluva difference. Amazing what people will pay for retro styling ;)

Bit OT, but I drove an 02 Jag X-Type 2.5 today. Heavy turd really. Great cruising car on the high way and great traction but the engine is just too sluggish to make an inspiring drive. Gear box is nice though. Fuel efficiency is very bad. Used 30l with 200km, mostly on the highway too.

blacklotus99 said:
Its nowhere near as sophisticated as the jcw but as a drivers car, and particularly a handling car, the 172 wins by some distance.

That's exactly what the 172 is, a hot hatch of the old school. But in today's world, the fashion factor will win more buyers. But fashion dies as well, some rather quickly.

blacklotus99 said:
As mentioned earlier, today I test drove the jcw car at a sydney dealer in order to compare it to my recently acquired Clio 172.

You have a 996 Porsche 911!? Now tell us a bit more about that! :headbang:

jastanis said:

jastanis said:

Come on Stuey, dont be like that.........

Info: '99 996 C2 6sp in Arctic Silver. Bought it last year in brisbane after looking for a good one for ages, probably 6 months for the right car. Turned out to be my uncle's car. He traded up to a 996 turbo so I bought the C2 from him. Car is the best I have seen for its age, and I know my uncle, so no expense spared whatsoever. He has a couple other nice things ie Mk 1.5 E type Roadster etc so I know its been looked after.

Stock standard car is 1320kg. 3.4 Flat 6 puts out 300bhp. 0-100: 5.0.
My car is basically standard i.e no options. (they just add weight!) but they come with just about everything. (except sat nav and other crap like that.)
Car does have a couple things though which I have fitted since I bought it.
Factory sports exhaust kit, freer flowing, extra 20 odd hp.
17" wheels from '02 911. 2.5kg lighter per wheel than originals. (I kept the 17's instead of going to 18's due to ride quality. The suspension is set up for 17's. 18's on the 3.4 feels crashy. Good on track, bad on road. I can drive quicker on the road on 17's. Better feel through the wheel on 17's too. Wrapped in Pirelli P Zero Rosso, specifically designed for that car.)
New discs all round with Pagid pads.
Small things: 3 spoke GT3 steering wheel. Porsche wheel crests.
And the best money I have ever spent: Quick shift cut down gear shift action. The biggest criticism of the 996 is that the shift action is too long throw. The ABS plastic shift gate in the top of the gearbox is ditched and replaced with a stainless steel one. Shift action is cut down by around 50%. Shift lever is 20% shorter than stock. (already quite short) Only an expert can visually pick the difference (it has the same shifter). The difference in the drive is staggering. Changes the character of the whole car. Shift is ultra direct and much faster.
With those changes, car would be late 4's to 100.

Now my friends, the cost of those changes for those who are interested: (Shows you how much I like the car!)

Sports exhaust fitted: approx $8000.
17" wheels with tyres: $4000.
New discs and pagid pads: $2500
Steering wheel and crests: wheel $800. crests $200
Quick shift kit: $3000.

If you think french cars are expensive to run, you have no idea.
A standard minor service is over $1000 and a major is $2500.
The problem is porsche charge $150p/h labour cost. And my car is relatively cheap to run compared to the classic stuff (993 included).
Nice I have my cheap RS Clio to run around in, dont you agree?

Sounds like a nice car - silver will hold it's value well too. Used to work for a guy that was a 911 nut - he could drive too, won the club slaloms etc. He had a 88 Carrera Widebody in midnight blue. Bought some titanium wheels for it in the states at US$1K a corner and a US$5K exhaust which could house a full family of cats seeking shelter from the rain. Used to set off all the car alarms from the harmonics of the exhaust when he went into the undergroiund car parks.

blacklotus99 said:
Factory sports exhaust kit, freer flowing, extra 20 odd hp.

Just what a 300 hp porsche needs!?!? :D
I guess it's the old adage, there's never too much power!

I envy you mate, I've always wanted a porsche. Ahh maybe one day, even if it will be much older than a 996.

I just realised, just your mods come to a few K shy of what I paid for my used gti6!

Ok more importantly, how does it drive?? and how does it compare to the clio, both on the road and on the track, obviously just purely on corner speed..just for curiosity sake, I'm wondering how big the margin will be!

btw I don't want to piss off Stuey, so maybe you can post this on the Toad Pond heheh.

All that money for mods...

no where did i see:
* Missile Switch
* Sticker Kit
* Angel Eyes
* Pod Filter

tisk tisk... it cant REALLY be that fast ;)

bossxr said:
. Used to set off all the car alarms from the harmonics of the exhaust when he went into the undergroiund car parks.

LOL I did that to my bosses 01 WRX with my R25 - the back muffler is getting a bit sad and when I started it (parked next to the Rex) it set the alarm off :D We get some reverbarations in out underground car park, but thats still a way sensitive inertia sensor :rolleyes: .

jastanis said:
Ok more importantly, how does it drive?? and how does it compare to the clio, both on the road and on the track, obviously just purely on corner speed..just for curiosity sake, I'm wondering how big the margin will be!

jastanis said:

I havent had the clio on the track yet but from what I know of it on good roads, its very different. The guy with the v6 255 will soon realise its very similar to driving a 911. You need to put a different hat on than when driving a fwd or front engine car for that matter.
In terms of corner speed, the clio may well keep up. The thing I think it does best is its ability to carry really quick corner speeds. The 911 needs a different driving style altogether. Slow in fast out for the 911. Its best features are firstly brakes, the best without question, steering and traction (having all the weight at the back helps) You notice this when watching GT Prod cars racing. If a porsche is chasing a ferrari for example, the 911 will close in under brakes, the ferrari will get a little ahead through the corner (mid engine, can carry more corner speed), then the 911 will catch it out of the corner with better traction.
With the weight in the back of the 911, there are powerslides out of corners like nothing else!
On track, and in lap times its no contest of course. Driving a 911 well takes a lot of skill (and im no expert) and practice simply because there isnt really anything else like it. Its a hard car to master, and in a way thats what makes it so appealing to lots of people. With the clio, my grandma could get in and drive it fast, its that easy in comparison.
The 996 C2 has no traction control or ESP either, so one must pay it respect so it doesnt spit you out into the trees. It is a constant challenge to learn to master it, which is exactly why Im taking another advanced course next week and let Jimmy Richards (the real 911 master) instruct me how its done.

Its a very quick car. Evo quote it stock at 4.6 to 100. I have had it to 270kmh on a freeway and it was still going when I had to back off.
Not that fast Nate? Would you like to line up your clio for a demonstration?

blacklotus99 said:
The 996 C2 has no traction control or ESP either, so one must pay it respect so it doesnt spit you out into the trees.

Can you imagine what a pre-993 911 is like!? A colleague at work has a beautiful black 1979 (I think) 911 2.7. It's restored to perfection, sounds great, acceleration is reasonable at around 6.5 seconds to 100 km/hr, and has made several attempts on his life.

jastanis said:
Can you imagine what a pre-993 911 is like!? A colleague at work has a beautiful black 1979 (I think) 911 2.7. It's restored to perfection, sounds great, acceleration is reasonable at around 6.5 seconds to 100 km/hr, and has made several attempts on his life.

The 911 is like that, false re-assuring, then stabs you in the back when you're not careful. But that's the point of it, it is so much fun, and dangerous!