Restoring paintwork on a 404 sedan

Gilow

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

About to start repainting the body of our 404 sedan and have some questions regarding the removal of chrome from certain areas.

The first problem we’ve encountered is we’re not sure if we can remove the roof gutter trims with out damaging these strips, and if we can re-attach them with minimum difficulty later on.

We are also a bit puzzled with the rear chrome strips conecting the two fins to the top of the rear window. How should we go about removing these? Or should they just be taped for the painting.

And finally is there any general advice about removal of trip strips that you think we should know?

Regards Ben and Matt

Hi all,

About to start repainting the body of our 404 sedan and have some questions regarding the removal of chrome from certain areas.

The first problem we’ve encountered is we’re not sure if we can remove the roof gutter trims with out damaging these strips, and if we can re-attach them with minimum difficulty later on.

We are also a bit puzzled with the rear chrome strips conecting the two fins to the top of the rear window. How should we go about removing these? Or should they just be taped for the painting.

And finally is there any general advice about removal of trip strips that you think we should know?

Regards Ben and Matt

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/132037-removing-gutter-trim-404-a.html

The rear trims can be removed with the tail light off the car. The are held by internal clips which sit over the lap joins of the rear guards.

Spray inside the trim with CRC or similar and carefully lift the trim by pulling upwards and the clips should release.

Personally, depending of your commitment to the restoration, I'd consider masking up the gutter trims, provided no rust is present.

They are difficult in the extreme to remove and replace without damage.

The side strips are held on mostly with plastic clips with a sneaky end fitting with a small nut in the inside of the door.
I have most of the clips you will need NOS in fair quantities

Hi all, sorry, we lost track of this thread. Thank you all for the replies, we are starting today. Fingers crossed.

404 strips

This was discussed on AF a few months ago, with good advice on atraumatic removal of strips

One thing to consider on reassembly is whether to use the original metal clips, which can become a locus at which rust starts, or whether to use small blobs of Siccaflex or suchlike, which do not have this problem

Good luck, nice to see another 404 being resuscitated, they are A very special car. I have lost count of the number of times I’ve been stopped in the street with “ used to have one of those, cried when I sold it, worst decision I ever made”

Hope all goes well

Andrew