Replacing the 406 SV octopus

Armidillo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Well it looks like a (4-armed) octopus to me:

ES9J4S Oil breather pipe photo.jpg

This is the oil breather hose from the ES9J4S engine (not sure about the earlier ES9J4) - also fitted to C5s and the Laguna II.

The plastic gets brittle with age, and breaks easily. Once broken, you will get oily residue coating your engine and some impact on engine performance, as air can be sucked directly into the throttle body. Here is what was left of mine after removal.

IMG_0881.jpg

It is fitted on the RHS (as you face the engine bay) of the motor. The main secret to removal and refitting is to remove the aircleaner and the concertina pipe connecting it to the throtttle body.

This diagram gives some idea as to where it sits:

ES9J4S Oil breather pipe diagram.jpg

Each hose end is held in place by an inbuilt spring clip. To release, press in the yellow part of the enlarged end of each hose. This can be done by pressing with a screwdriver.

IMG_0885.jpg

I found I needed to use another screw-driver to lever each hose end off the spigot that it is pressed onto, at the same time as depressing the yellow release bar.

It is only the 'flexible' hose sections that get brittle and break, so no doubt it would be possible to replace them with appropriate length sections of flexible rubber tubing, but the complete part is readily available, and I would think that there would be a risk of rubber hose developing kinks over time, as the pipes follow very convoluted paths.

The part number is 1192v7, and it cost $171 (inc. postage) from EAI. I am sure that a noticeable flat spot in performance at low revs has magically disappeared, and gear changes may be a little smoother (due to better throttle response), although I'm not quite as convinced of that.

Cheers

Alec

Last edited:
Yep, mine cracked and the mechanic put a rubber hose over the outside to rejoin. Not convinced it has sealed properly though.
Engine will idle rough if not sealed.

I have a Laguna ii and have had these pipes crack.

My fix has been to remove the cracked bit of plastic pipe from the fittings and replace with a suitable sized rubber tube, this is also a bit more flexible and does not leak.

I have found that the fittings seem to last OK, its just the plastic tubing that cracks, presumably from the heat under the engine bay

My fix has been to remove the cracked bit of plastic pipe from the fittings and replace with a suitable sized rubber tube, this is also a bit more flexible and does not leak.

I have found that the fittings seem to last OK, its just the plastic tubing that cracks, presumably from the heat under the engine bay

So cut off the plastic tubing and push rubber tubing over the outside of the fittings?