Replacing Clutch on Pug 205 GTi '87

Justin B

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I'm planning to remove and replace my old clutch in my Pug 205GTi. This will be the first time that I've done something like this.

Can I please get an indication what else I should be doing while I'm there? I plan to get the flywheel machined.. but what else (i.e seals or something)

Thanks
Justin peugeot_

Make sure you use a good quality clutch kit.
Don't go the cheaper brands, it's just not worth it. Replace the clutch cable as well, and the waterpump, while it's easier to get to.

It's a good 7 hour job for a proffesional pug mechanic. (Costs about $1,000 supplied and fitted to get a good mechanic to do it.)

Check the clutch pivot point as well, cause they can tend to fatigue.

I have never changed a clutch myself, but i have had to get poor attempts fixed, and it cost me big bucks.. :(

Cheers
Adrian :) :)

<small>[ 11 August 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Cant_get_enough_of_peugeots ]</small>

Why would you change the water pump while you're doing the clutch? They're at opposite ends of the block on a 205! The only thing they have in common is lifting the hood!

I wouldn't recommend this job if it's your first clutch change. You need a few special tools that most folks don't have. ie 30mm socket with a 3 foot breaker bar, 11mm long series socket, torque wrench, special flywheel locking plate etc.

Hmmmm.

Well there you go, looks like i got ripped off by a mechanic as well :(

I am only going on my experience on getting 3 clutches changed in 3 seperate 205's.

Two different mechanics in Melb have done the job for me, and everytime they said to change the waterpump ?? :confused:

You can't bloody trust anyone anymore, can you !

Adrian :) :)

Hi all,

Tools arent a problem.. I'll have access to a garage with a hoist and all the tools that i'll need... the only thing I lack is the experience..

I've got a haynes book so that should help????
JUstin

Hey, um how confident are you! You have to de-gas the air-con because the main pipe runs under the gearbox, when you buy a clutch the geniune Pug one actually was cheaper than an aftermarket one. The genuine one cost me $325 I think the aftermarket was around $450. If are planning to do engine mods and track work a heavy duty clutch might be the way to go but if you drive it daily it will become a pain, if you go ahead check the gearbox for any visual signs of wear depending on how many k's it done it should fine, pug boxes are fairly strong as well as the gear linkage rods, the bushes on the roads are made from plastic and they wear away due to heat from the exhaust. New ones will make the gearshift sweet, and when refilling the g/box use Castrol syntrans and you will have a super smooth shifting box!

pugsy:
Hey, um how confident are you! You have to de-gas the air-con because the main pipe runs under the gearbox, </strong>

Well... I have access to a mechanics workshop.. so if I need to de-gas.. I'll get them to do it... the A/C on my pug is stuffed anyhow (I think the compressor is bung)....

<strong>when you buy a clutch the geniune Pug one actually was cheaper than an aftermarket one. The genuine one cost me $325 I think the aftermarket was around $450. If are planning to do engine mods and track work a heavy duty clutch might be the way to go but if you drive it daily it will become a pain, </strong>

It's a daily driver.. and I've got a clutch sourced from Auto France in Sydney for $250.

<strong>if you go ahead check the gearbox for any visual signs of wear depending on how many k's it done it should fine, pug boxes are fairly strong as well as the gear linkage rods, the bushes on the roads are made from plastic and they wear away due to heat from the exhaust. New ones will make the gearshift sweet, and when refilling the g/box use Castrol syntrans and you will have a super smooth shifting box!
Yea.. I was planning on using syntrax or redline... show I replace the linkage's as part of the process?? I am not sure how to tell if there are stuffed or not... can this easily be done at a later date?

Thank you for your imput
Justin

Oops.. blush yes syntrax silly me.

You can tell the gear link rod is worn by holding and moving it from side to side if it "clunks" or is rattly when you do this it needs replacing. Wow! $250 for a clutch kit is excellent value, when I had the air con gas out of my system i took the opputunity to re-route the hose around the box so any future work on the box/clutch can be carried out without needing a de-gas.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

I'm changing the clutch on the 6th/7th of Sept. I've got myself the following

New Rear main oil seal (behind the fly wheel)
Someone to skim the plate on a saturday
2 drive shaft oil seals
bottom engine mount and of course
a clutch kit

What I don't have, and I don't REALLY want to purchase for one use is a clutch alignment tool.

If there is anyone on the group from sydney (I'm in Lugarno, and working on the car at Kingsgrove) that has one of these, would you be willing to loan it too me for a w/end ???.

Thanks
Justin
justin@hiddenimage.com.au
0413 787 799

Justin you could ask a clutch repair shop to borrow one? nicely ask? some real fidlers like Adrian Wilumens (spell sorry adrain), or Peter Taylor might even have on to lend- chris

Didn't you get one in the clutch kit? I know the Valeo kit has one. You're welcome to drop by and pick one up in any case.

PeterT:
Didn't you get one in the clutch kit? I know the Valeo kit has one. You're welcome to drop by and pick one up in any case.
I got the Valeo clutch kit... no alignment tool...

I'd appreciate the use of your's... And when I drop by, I can pick your brain for any tips / tricks!!! :)

Justin

Im not the most experienced peugeot type person.. But I managed to pull off a clutch change in an MI16 by myself, took me a while, but when you get it all back together and working you feel like you've really achieved something.. ahh my Valeo clutch kit didnt come with an aligner either, they prolly dodged out and decided to save money, or the shops keep it themselves... hmmm...
uhh You prolly wont like my idea, but i found something that was the right size to fit in the hole, that was long enough to manouver the clutch around.. uhh basically i used a paint brush...
Good Luck Bloke....