Replacing C2 standard head unit

BalleR

Tadpole
I know its been posted before, just wondering if anyones attempted replacing the standard head unit from a C2 or any other similarly wired car.

Ive been doing alot of looking around and research, but havent really made progress.

All that i can work out, based upon reading some of the UK forums, is that certain adapters are required so that the head unit can plug into the existing wiring that is there. I dont want to cut any wires, or make any changes to the way things are now. I want it to bolt straight in, end of story.

So all ive gathered thus far is that, a harness adapter is required to plug the ISO head unit into the multiplex connector from the car. Also, an adapter is required to attach to stalk controls i believe.

Im not sure if the C2s in the UK are the same or not. But the reason I havent bought anything to replace the head unit yet, is that i have heard of central locking problems, head unit power problems, display problems and stalk functionality, and issues with the car not starting, ect.

Some people have had some of these problems, and it seems some have no issues. I have also heard that any change to the head unit, once connected, has to be reset in the ECU, as when the car starts up, it sends a pulse out to all the devices to check their functonality, and if the unit has been changed and not recognised, the car gets confused.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything replacing head units in these cars, or of any places that can do it for me, or anyone that sells the adapters i have mentioned. Im pretty unsure as to the extent of the problems, or if its straight foward. Its a 2005 model c2 vtr.

Source of advice

BalleR,

At the risk of telling you something you already know, Nexxia in the UK are a good source of parts and advice for dealing with the spagetti involved changing head units. The relevant part of their website is http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/Citroen/c2.htm .

I'm in the process of replacing the near-dead head unit in my XM with a new Kenwood thing. Still waiting for head unit to arrive from UK (had to get the Euro-spec one as the Aus-spec doesn't interface with steering controls, and it was cheaper to go OS). I have the adaptor harness and steering control bits - arrived from Nexxia in five calender days. You could email them, or why not give them a ring, as international calls are very inexpensive now.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the reply, its exactly what I was after.

I found the link to nexxia a while ago, but totally forgot about them, and lost the link to them after formatting my computer, and failing to back up favourites list, and since, ive had no luck finding anything.

Ive visited some local installers, but they had never done a c2, so i wasnt totally confident in letting someone do this install. Id like to preserve the original connections so that i can revert the head unit back to stock eventually.
With the right adapters, im sure it will be an easy swap.

Thanks again,

Ben