Replacement of Aux serpentine belt on 2008 Peugeot 308 hatch

Gordon1712

Tadpole
Replacement of Aux serpentine belt on 2008 Peugeot 308 hatch with petrol THP engine.

As the car is getting a bit old , I thought it be a good idea also to change the Auxilliary drive belt that drives the alternator and air conditioner (and engine water pump).
As a clue to wether the belt has been changed before, I'm told that the cars were fitted with Dayco brand belts out of the factory.
see attached photos.
Use a 30mm socket and rotate the spring loaded adjuster anticlockwise until the locking pin can be engaged.
Locate the "tab" on the water pump drive tensioner and pull it out.
It is just held in by a sealing O-ring. Pull it out (like a tape measure) about 25mm, it will be loose.
And then pull it out another 50-75mm under moderate tension and it will release the tension on the water pump drive wheel. (unconventional way to drive a water pump)
You can now remove the belt from the crankshaft pulley.
The belt was a Gates 6PK095, a direct replacement for the original 10 year old Dayco.
Replace the belt, release the belt tensioning pulley (with the 30mm socket)
Insert the water pump drive "tab" fully, and start the engine.
I heard an unusual noise (but not alarming) that disappeared after about 2 minutes, that I assume was the water pump tensioner doing its job.
All good.
IMG_3037.jpgIMG_3039.jpgIMG_3040.jpgIMG_3041.jpgIMG_3042.jpgIMG_3045.jpg

Just make sure that belt has a rough back side it needs to drive the water pump

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

It might be a German idea. The original EP6 engine is a joint design. The aim is to save wasting energy and fuel when water circulation isn't wanted. The chain drives only the camshafts.