Repair to exhaust downpipe help.

Big Frog

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,
Seem to have a hole, ( damage from rock) on the bottom elbow of the exhaust downpipe on my Citreon D. It seems to be a cast part ?
I will need to repair.it for rego. Any suggestions?
Steve

The issue with the exhaust system is that it is securely mounted and no leaks!
There are some very good effective products available to repair leaks, so it depends how big the repair is and regretfully how fussy the mechanic issuing the roadworthy is.
JAJEA

Only the manifold is cast iron :confused: Any exhaust place can weld a hole in given 30seconds. Given the hole is impact damage, it must be at a very easy spot for them to access/weld.

seeya,
Shane L.

The issue with the exhaust system is that it is securely mounted and no leaks!
There are some very good effective products available to repair leaks, so it depends how big the repair is and regretfully how fussy the mechanic issuing the roadworthy is.
JAJEA

Patched exhausts will not pass muster, mechanics don't want to lose their licences. As the person may immediately onset the car after a RWC. The subsequent owner can then rightly complain to authorities

Patched exhausts will not pass muster, mechanics don't want to lose their licences. As the person may immediately onset the car after a RWC. The subsequent owner can then rightly complain to authorities

:confused: so long as it isn't currently leaking and isn't going to fall off, it should pass. Who cares if a patch is welded in.

Patched exhausts will not pass muster, mechanics don't want toto register usescences. As the person may immediately onset the car after a RWC. The subsequent owner can then rightly complain to authorities

If you want a RWC in order to sell your vehicle agreed. I would not try it.
If you want a RWC in order to register your vehicle for personal use, an inspector can be reasonable.
A vehicle is not necessarily unsafe on the road with a patch on the exhaust system.
VicRoads will not question the RWC - not their job to question the expert/professional.

On a 5-bearing post-65 DS, the downpipe needs to be securely mounted to the sump at the bottom, but the bracket often breaks. The movement is meant to be absorbed by the flex pipe. As Shane suggests, only the manifolds will be cast iron in this setup and everything else is mild steel, so weld away without abandon. The way the end of the downpipe is formed means it might look as though it is a lump of cast iron, but it's just layers of steel roughly melted together. The downpipe should slip inside the front of the flex pipe and the back of the flex pipe should slip into the muffler intake. Exhaust leaks where the downpipe joins the flex pipe are common.

Thanks all for the input. Once I got the car up on stands I could see the issue. The very bottom elbow on the down tube had a seam open / split from to back. It is steel as noted by others, so a simple mig weld repaired it. So there was not a hole as suspected.
Cheers
Steve