Renault19Auto's

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Can anyone tell me how to minimize damage to my auto box? I have just had the solonoids replaced in it as the cost of $1000.

David will probably be able to answer this better than me, but all I know is if has a Renault badge, and it's Auto, avoid it like the plague....

Having said that though, the R25 we owned for years never had a problem with the gearbox other than thumping into top when it was cold .

Give it freqent oil changes, there's probably not much else you can do.

seeya,

Shane L

You want to protect your auto wearing out, thats easy, DON"T DRIVE IT.
Shane sugested changing your oil, thats about all you can do, but be careful, I question the oil we use. How many km has your car done? I've seen cars that have been service regulary and the auto's died within 80,000, I've seen cars that have never seen an auto service and at 120,000 still going strong. I suspect and I can't prove anything, but I suspect that the oil the oil companies tell us is the equivelent to Renaultmatic is not the same and by using it you are damaging you auto, Elf Renaultmatic is very hard to get, theres only one Elf dealer here in Melb and he doesn't stock much but I think if your changing your oil try to get the exact stuff. I know Renault autos have a very bad rep, but if they were that bad Renault wouldn't be as big as they are and the only difference between Aust and Europe is the oil we use.
Like I said, this is only my theory and the oil companies will deny it, but does anybody have anything else.

David.