Renault tractor

Tractor restoration is a well developed field with mostly older restorers. Early tractors can be surprisingly expensive if the model is sought after like the Lanz Bulldog. They have been bought up by European collectors. There were imports of small consignments of unusual brands in the period of shortage after the war so it's not impossible there's a 1950's Renault out there waiting for you. In the 1980's Zetor Australia found a late 1940's Zetor that had been imported into NSW and sold with a box of spares (including a cylinder head). The apprentices at the Port Melbourne plant did a very nice restoration. But if there is an early Renault about chances are you will have to pay more for a rusty pile than a going smaller tractor like Shane's.

Hey Bustamif. Have you seen this list of models?

Country car clubs often include tractor and small engine enthusiasts so a display will not only be of cars but also old tractors and engines. Even steam. Tractors are logically designed machines but are bigger and heavier than cars. They have complex transmissions and hydraulic systems. Parts can be very big and heavy. We bought a part recently that required a tightening torque of 565 ft lbs. Rallies like Lake Goldsmith attract such enthusiasts. There are tractor sports in Europe. The Czechs have Tractor Fairs where beautifully restored old machines are flung over boggy motor cross courses. Tractor pulling and racing exploits are on youtube.

I have been to a few of those shows, one included a race car display at the Campbelltown Steam & Machinery Museum where they had a few steam tractors. I assisted a guy start a small bulldozer with a shotgun cartridge in a chamber that you hit with a hammer to kick start it.
A local vintage machinery show in the Hawkesbury includes a tractor pull. Plenty of German, Russian and American stuff around, hence my quest for a suitable 50's- 60's-70's Renault version. I may get lucky and find something that could be a project I can afford.

Last edited:
If you want a vintage tractor for a tractor pull, get a Super 70 Chamberlain. With a big Detroit Diesel under the bonnet, they out-pull anything. They make quite a racket, too! Nice orange colour, too too far from a Renault. And they are Australian.

Roger

Hi :)
My mate bought a farm a couple of years ago. Good time to buy just as the drought started 🥴 There was an old MF there which badly needed servicing. We had to use the pressure washer to get the shit out of the oil bath air filter. Goes OK now, but it has no power steering and it was impossible to drive with a blade or implement on the front but ok with a big slasher on the back. But now he has 3 tractors. A small Kubota which anyone in the family can use easily for light work and now a cheap S/H chinese clone with a 4 way front end loader and a small backhoe on the er back :rolleyes: Gees it is useful for all those things you need to do getting a rundown farm going. Ya can't have too many tractors but they can waste a lot of valuable farm time if you need to fix them.!
Jaahn

Looked up the books and the 35hp Renault tractor was imported into Australia during the early 1950's. Advertised by Ira Berk in NSW and handled by some country Renault dealers like Advanx Motors. So the unicorn exists after all.

I recall that Ira Berk sponsored the occasional Bathurst race car. If I find a suitable tractor it will get some Ira Berk signage for sure!

In previous (pre-covid) years I've been to the 'Clarendon Classic' annual show at Hawkesbury Showground run by 'Sydney Antique Machinery Club' if you were looking for an "off the wall" tractor that'd be a good starting point (even if its just asking the owners of other marques). But with current conditions don't know when the next one's likely to be (supposed to be September 20 but no date announced yet).
I went the 'easy' route and bought an old Fergie Grey (TEA20) - but I broke it already :( Its leaking oil like a good'un - sadly from the middle bit where motor joins gearbox, problem is that separating those two means tractor collapses in the middle - without extensive "Temporary Works" :eek:

It's probably the rear main oil seal.

A grey Fergy is light, and easy to split. You don't need fancy equipment. A car size trolley jack and a few blocks of wood will do.

Roger

Last edited:
It's probably the rear main oil seal.

A grey Fergy is light, and easy to split. You don't need fancy equipment. A car size trokkey jack and a few blocks of wood will do.

Roger

Probably take a few hours once you have the supports setup. I need to do this someday. Mine randomly drags the clutch if you have it loaded (generally when your nose up to something fragile ... suddenly the clutch will badly drag)... I figure its the spigot bush (or bearing) is dragging when loaded.

There are several regular Renault tractors on the show circuit in SE Qld. Also at the Grand Display of French Cars last year. Another club member has a couple unrestored. He won't sell them they are part of his extensive Renault collection.

I have only 1.5 acres but have a 4 wheel drive Massey left over from my farm and kept it. It is amazing how often I use it. It does have a fork lift that is most useful.

Keep at it Bustamif you'll eventually find one they are about.

what about an old fordson .... I've never seen this setup before!

fordson.jpg

That's a Fordson Roadless half-track. The base tractor is a E27N, the original Fordson Major. It was quite clunky compared with the streamlined "new major". A neighbour had one when I was a kid. It was weird to drive because the clutch pedal was on the right and the brake pedals were on the left.

Roger