Renault tractor

Interesting. I didn't know the four wheels drives used a Zetor front axle, maybe from a 5545.

G'day,
Renault tractor advertised at Lake Goldsmith yesterday....
DSCN0321b.JPG

Bob

Last edited:
amazing the stuff that lurks on ancient HDDs in the drawer....

cheers,
Bob

Attachments

• d35_1.pdf
    538 KB · Views: 167
Early 1950's when equipment was in short supply and ag was booming, all sorts of tractors were imported. Some with an attempt to establish the make and others as one off consignments sold at the important annual metropolitan agricultural shows. As an example a NSW grazier came home from the Sydney Easter Show around 1950 with a 25hp Zetor diesel that came with a crate of tools and spares including a spare cylinder head. Even in the 1970's a Zetor came with a crate of tools, a feature of East European machinery. In the 1980's Zetor in Melbourne learned of the existence of the tractor and bought it. The apprentices in Port Melbourne restored it and it was displayed at field days.
Don't know if there was a Renault tractor dealer in the 1950's but they weren't common. The answer would be found in old copies of Power Farming and The Weekly Times.

Had a quick look, R3043 in 1954, Ira Berk the dealer, four cylinder, 35 hp, hydraulic lift an option, pto and belt pulley, first import 1950.

When you look at tractor restorers their heads are usually whiter even than car restorers. So it may still be there waiting for a young and enthusiastic tractor restorer.

My hair was grey when I started this thread. I need to sell the Lotus to make room and provide the necessary funds for this tractor project.
I have the desire and I think I am still capable of completing it, health permitting. Heck, I can still cut laps at Eastern Creek fast enough to be in the top 10 in most categories I enter.

Then you will cut a dashing figure in your Renault at Lake Goldsmith, leaving the traction engines in your dust. Have you seen the Czech tractor races? Picnic affairs, drivers showing their abilities in all manner of horrendous bogs, races against each other, old and modern, sometimes with passengers perilously perched on mudguards, real peasant festivities. Like this

Love it!

I would have to put some new tri-rib tyres on the front of my Zetor 8111 before I tried anything like that. At present the front would slide out so much under heavy lock I would be standing on the steering brakes the whole time. Apart from that I reckon it would perform well: it is quite supple over bumps and the big 4 clynder engine is very torquey and it hangs on up hills better than my newer, fancier, bigger New Holland tractor.

It takes a bit of skill to drive a tractor hard like that. You can't use the foot throttle because you are bouncing too much to control it so you have to keep adjusting the hand throttle. And without a synchromesh gearbox you have to be good at gear shifts. I ran an IH 444 around a Citroen club motorkhana course once, that's how I know. It was my own tractor, on my own property.

Roger

Fiat tractors are good, 450/550 excellent.
411 petrol cam chain bottom gear is not available and the gear teeth strip.
So your stuffed, 411 Diesel all parts available.
Romanian made Fiat , parts from Greece cheap, good service.

Carraro makes transmissions for other makes. Not well regarded. In the 1980's they made an equal drive small tractor for hill country that distinguished itself for being the most troublesome, fire prone machine on the Australian market and had an importer who absolutely was deaf to all the complaints of the buyers of the little horrors.

Then you will cut a dashing figure in your Renault at Lake Goldsmith, leaving the traction engines in your dust. Have you seen the Czech tractor races? Picnic affairs, drivers showing their abilities in all manner of horrendous bogs, races against each other, old and modern, sometimes with passengers perilously perched on mudguards, real peasant festivities. Like this
had two former workmates experience tractors flipping and almost flipping, both without top fitted. first was old diesel Fergie with driver holding chainsaw in left hand, tractor flipped over backwards,driver was left standing next to tractor still holding chainsaw. exhaust, fuel tank, bonnet and steering wheel crushed. driver thought he'd died and was looking under tractor for his body while grabbing his arms legs and body to make sure he was still alive. to this day he can't understand how he escaped being crushed. second one was old inter petrol again going forward up hill when front just climbed up to a point almost vertical where it stalled and came crashing down. a learning lesson for both workmates as I mentioned to both of them as my block was steep in parts I would always reverse up if in doubt, as well I had a sturdy 6point rop cage... jim

Not many tractor deaths now, most have heavy front drive axles so don't flip as easily, safety cabs and ROPs make them safer, some people still roll round bales down the forks of a FEL, a windmill being carried on a FEL under a power line arced, two killed, always something. The quad bike has replaced them as the most dangerous farm machine. Those grey Fergies were easy to tip.