Renault Koleos air con problems

mthutt

Fellow Frogger
Hi i have a 2010 Renault koleos and im having trouble with the air conditioner , it works ok for a while then blows warm air and today it was only cold on one side of the car. On other days it seems to work ok for a hour or so.
I have replaced the cabin filter which did not help and was not very dirty anyway.
I have also vac and re charged the air con system which also did not seem to be low on gas.
Now thinking it could be the TX valve but can not find where it is. other than it might be inside the car which may need the complete dash removed.
Also the air con compressor is very noisy but as i have another koleos and its compressor is at times noisy but not as much and works fine.
Any one else had any air con problems ?

Nope! Interesting that it favours one side. Is it the climate control or manual version?

The climate control system has two independently operating sides. It could be that the control system has broken in the distribution area. Can you check that both sides still work independently with the heater temperature settings different fom one side to the other?

As the compressor is very noisy i think that's where the problem is , I have a good one to replace it but wondering what caused it to be noisy in the first place , As i have not heard of any one else with air con problems on a Koleos

I think I'd try and find something cold inside the car before changing the pump, but it could be.

As the compressor is very noisy i think that's where the problem is , I have a good one to replace it but wondering what caused it to be noisy in the first place , As i have not heard of any one else with air con problems on a Koleos

I would be checking very carefully for a crack in the components or a split hose. Look for oil leaks. Run UV dye through the system with the old compressor if you can get pressure up and check EVERYTHING under a UV light. Loss of compressor oil is a big cause of failure.

pretty sure if its even a bit low on gas then only half of the evap core will cool ,which could be why one side is cold and the other is warm air.
I would still like to locate the TX valve as dont want to replace the compressor and damage it cos the TX valve is stuck closed

Have a trained aircon technician put some gauges on the system and do a proper diagnosis.

It likely to save you a fortune compared to "forum guess" method of fault finding and actually result in fixing fault :blackeye:

Yes it has UV dye and have had a look with UV light a number of times over last month and can not see any dust around joints etc, Also had a good look inside the car when i changed the cabin filter as ya have to take out the glove box etc to fit the filter

yes been tested gauges used, no sign of a problem. high and low side as they should be depending on ambient temperature

Then, I'd be looking at the behavior of the mixing doors and sensors for them. You have already had one "hint"- hot on one side of the car and cold on the other.

Generally, refrigeration systems are simple to check basic operation by the "feel" test on the lines.

Did you ever get a result for this problem? I am having the same issue. Mine must be leaking gas somewhere as when it is regassed, both sides work fine for about 4-6 weeks. Two different mechanics have not been able to find it in the engine bay or underneath after using dye in the gas.