Renault: Genuine Top Tier F1 Team in 2004?

mistareno

G'day Guys,

I just got home from the GP today and I must say that the Renaults were damn impressive. They were the only cars that were consistently near the Ferraris pace, and neither driver had any off track expiditions (unlike ALL the other top teams)

The Ferraris came out early in the 1st session and set some blistering laps (Schu set a new lap record on his first flying lap :cry: ), but they didn't really improve on their times that much in the second session.

Renault was 3 and 4 in the first session and 3 and 5 in the second (Jenson Button got P4 towards the end of the 2nd session and then the car shat itself, so he may end up being knocked back 10 positions if it was the engine.

I hand timed Trulli doing about 6-7 1:26 second laps in a row in the second session, so I think they were running in a full "race trim"

The McLarens and Williams seemed to struggle with balance, but the BAR cars seemed to be very competitive (I think they have well and truly leap-frogged Toyota, Jordan and the other middle rank teams)

I have a feeling that the BAR cars may have some reliability issues, as they were short shifting for most of the laps, and only let them rip for a handfull of quick laps, after which Buttons car spat the dummy.

It will be interesting to see if Renault can maintain thier current position after quallifying tommorrow.

If they do, they could be a real outright chance in the race.

w00t!!!! RENAULT!!!

I cannot believe Alonso's start!!! 2 wheels on the grass & still goes past!!!! OMFG RENAULT!!!

I picked Montoya's stupidity from a mile off, he's got no control at all! he's got heaps of skill, but he cant control his hot head! lol...

There was NO merchandise at the GP!!! NOOOO but i picked up an AWESEOME shirt for $140 at the motorshow!!! Bargain!

Interesting that Montoya COULDNT catch TRULLI at all!!! which speaks volumes about the cars performance... i was hoping renault will be an easy-ish 3rd in constructors this year, but maybe they'll be a tough 2nd?
and we got new motors to come!!!
OMFG Soooo happy!

Not only that, Trulli's rear wing was damaged in the first corner incident with Sato, which is why he wasnt able to push for 3rd/4th etc.

Bargain compared to the other Teams merchandise...

& this Renault shirt REALLY turns heads!!!

According to f1-live.com Ralf Schumacher might be at Renault next year.

Craig said:
According to f1-live.com Ralf Schumacher might be at Renault next year.

I heard over the news tonight that he's officially bean signed up, the big fear now is. Who are they getting rid off??
I hope Renault are not stupid and get rid of Alonso. I don't nessecarily agree putting in Ralph (would love to see Weber and Alonso together), Ralph will never be like Micheal and I don't think he's any better than Trulli, hope they know what there doing.
Isn't it strange, normally all the rumours about driver swapping comes in the later half of the year, here we are after the first race and already Williams have lost both there drivers.

David.