Renault Fuego Turbo alternator not charging

Kaiiwi

Tadpole
Hello
I removed the engine to carry out repairs and refitted
Since installation the battery light on the dash on the dash does not illuminate
The +feed to the regulator at the alternator is not alive so clearly there can be no L signal coming out of the reg - I'm suspecting
On checking, there is only battery voltage at the main terminal on the alternator when the ignition is turned on
Everything worked fine when the engine was removed, but it has been two years
I'm a qualified mechanic who is not afraid of electrics but this has got me beat
I'm sure that I am overlooking something very simple
HELP
This car has done a genuine 20000miles and in original condition

Without checking out the Fuego wiring diagram.

My first thing to check is make sure that you have everything connected up correctly?

Next again without checking wiring diagrams is there a fuse for the charging circuit? and also is the charging globe blown?

A generic comment as I do not know the details of that alternator. Generating devices can loose their magnetism when left for a while. If the alternator has lost its residual magnetism and if is self excited to produce the excitation current for the regulator it may need a bit of help to kick away. Some alternators do have a set self excitation diodes to provide the control current. Hmm I cannot say more without more information.
But if that is the problem then exciting the rotor direct with 12V for a short while may get it going. Just be careful you do know what polarity is what.
Jaahn