Renault Fluence 1.6 16V Automatic Gearbox "Check ESP & Check Gearbox Failure"

alex392

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hello everyone, thank you for having me here. I have a problem with my 2009 Renault Fluence 1.6 16v Automatic Gearbox LZBR0A

When I drive the car at an interval of about 80 km, a message appears on the board, namely "check auto gearbox", after which it disappears instantly and another message "check esp" appears, which is constantly on. When this message appears on the dashboard, the gearbox goes into safe mode, or so I think because the gearbox doesn't change normally. In order to be able to drive it again, I have to remove the card key and restart the engine, after which it works normally, but after 80 km it appears again.

My question is, has anyone ever faced this problem? What can it be?

Thank you all.

Hi Alex welcome :)
I think that your problem is most likely the pressure control valves starting to fail. These are a common problem on these transmissions (called DPO in Renaults and AL4 in Citroens and Peugeots). They need changing most likely, there are two of them but not very expensive. This could be done by most automatic service shops I believe as well as a dealer. Change the oil also and good for another lot of years. They are otherwise a reliable transmission and it is recommended on here that you do an oil change occasionally too even though the manufacturers do not recommend that.
If you wanted to be sure you could get someone to scan the system for codes.
Jaahn

Hi Alex welcome :)
I think that your problem is most likely the pressure control valves starting to fail. These are a common problem on these transmissions (called DPO in Renaults and AL4 in Citroens and Peugeots). They need changing most likely, there are two of them but not very expensive. This could be done by most automatic service shops I believe as well as a dealer. Change the oil also and good for another lot of years. They are otherwise a reliable transmission and it is recommended on here that you do an oil change occasionally too even though the manufacturers do not recommend that.
If you wanted to be sure you could get someone to scan the system for codes.
Jaahn
Thank you so much for information provided, i will do so. Let u know as soo as i get an answer from my mechanic. Have a good day !

Hi Alex I hope you have progressed your problem.
My friend was going to do the two valves in his daughters Renault soon and had the valves on his table so I took these pics for reference to the part numbers. As you can see the packets reference both Renault and Citroen/Peugeot (and sometimes even Fiat) as they all use the same transmission in various models.
Jaahn
20211217_120935 (2).jpg
20211217_121026 (2).jpg

Hey Jaahn, thanks for the pictures mate, i would one question about it, what manuf. year is this Renault ? Because i've heard that there are different types of Valves. And do you also know if it is needed to write some codes after the instalation of these 2 ? Thanks buddy.

Hey Jaahn, thanks for the pictures mate, i would have one question about it, what manuf. year is this Renault ? Because i've heard that there are different types of Valves. And do you also know if it is needed to write some codes after the instalation of these 2 ? Thanks buddy.

Hey Jaahn, thanks for the pictures mate, i would one question about it, what manuf. year is this Renault ? Because i've heard that there are different types of Valves. And do you also know if it is needed to write some codes after the instalation of these 2 ? Thanks buddy.
Sorry I missed your reply/question.
I do not know exact year possibly ~2004 or so. But the valves are all the same. The colour of the plastic connecters changed from white to black to show the new type. They fitted the new ones in new transmissions after some mystery date but they still need changing after some time.
The software was probably the updated version but they work OK with the new valves and the old software in my experience anyway. No one but the dealers have the software update available here. Overseas the reflash is easy to find.
Jaahn

Hi Alex I see you are in the UK. So it should be easier to get a software reflash done there, ask around, but I cannot help you really as I have not done it myself.
If the valves you take out have black plastic connections like the ones in the pictures, it should have the new software as it has the new valves.. But the new valves work ok with the old software anyway. The new software just cycles them on and off faster but otherwise not any different I believe.
good luck Jaahn

a 2009 model will have the newer valves in it - just get new ones and plug and play. Dont stress about software.

Just an update. My mate did his daughters transmission. The car is a 2006, the valves were black topped so were the later type. Oil and valves, changed and the daughter says running better and smother than ever.
Bugger the passenger window failed AGAIN ! Should never have wound it down !! Had to jump it to get it shut AGAIN. The new module has failed. Gees its the little things that drive you crazy with these cars. :mad:
Jaahn