Renault Floride body rebuild.

Why don't you sort Chris's sunroof, he's a good bloke!

and Citroens are better than Renaults, or they used to be...

You're right, he is a good bloke and we've had dialog behind the scenes re said sunroof...I figure I have a bit of time up my sleeve before his car's finished tho.

Headlight booster kits..

For those with old cars who are interested, I have installed one of these headlight booster kits from ebay and found it to be of good quality and easy to fit. The kit cost AUD$27.65 delivered which is less than the individual cost of the components to make it up myself.

The lights are definitely crisper and more reliable as the old headlight sockets in my car were original and quite rusted, the bonus of course is the existing lighting circuit is carrying much less current as it is now only used to trigger the new relays which do all the work.

The only thing missing from the kit is an inline fuse...in my opinion it is unwise to have a cable running directly from the battery unfused, it is a potential fire hazard if something shorted out. In line fuse holders are easy to obtain and install too.

[video]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180768073611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649[/video]

Captureaaaaa.jpg

Last edited:
on a couple of my cars, I installed New Era relays using existing wires. They have a two circuit all-in-one relay that has a fuse on each circuit inbuilt. You can buy them for around $30 from autoshops. On the R10 I have two - one for main beam, high beam headlights; and another for the two sets of driving lights. I'll try to dig up a photo.

The good book MR056 says we should use cone washers and nylon inserts for the hardtop latches.

I couldn't find the correct size cone washers so have used these wavy washers and a bit of Vaso and they work well, a bit of teflon thread tape around the securing bolt in lue of the nylon insert firms the whole mechanism up nicely.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 782
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 604
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
For those with old cars who are interested, I have installed one of these headlight booster kits from ebay and found it to be of good quality and easy to fit. The kit cost AUD$27.65 delivered which is less than the individual cost of the components to make it up myself.

The lights are definitely crisper and more reliable as the old headlight sockets in my car were original and quite rusted, the bonus of course is the existing lighting circuit is carrying much less current as it is now only used to trigger the new relays which do all the work.

The only thing missing from the kit is an inline fuse...in my opinion it is unwise to have a cable running directly from the battery unfused, it is a potential fire hazard if something shorted out. In line fuse holders are easy to obtain and install too.

[video]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180768073611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649[/video]

View attachment 37530

You need to watch those kits. They will be OK for the majority French cars which switch positive in the headlights.

However European and Japanese cars sometimes switch negative (ie common of lamp hard connected to positive)

Here's the New Era ones I put into my R10.

Attachments

• DSCN1694.jpg
    DSCN1694.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 539
Hasn't been a problem so far. I try not to have loose items in the. Front and have a tub with lid for storage.
There is one relay with a circuit for high and low beam, then the other serves a set of driving lights each circuit.

~!

great effort to revive a fine Floride in the nick of time
i agree enamel paint needs to bake in the sun all Summer
pro-painters use a few dozen flood-lamps on a panel overhead
in cold weather you can get thermo-active thinners that dries faster

Crewe once made a Bentley Continental coupe
with fins quite like the Floride
the Bentley was on a Silver Cloud III chassis
i recall you have to remove the mudguards to change the V8 spark plugs
the lengths they go to so as to be in fashion! :confused: :rolleyes::eek:

New tonneau cover...

I purchased an industrial sewing machine a while back and after a lot of testing and self education I am starting to get some decent results...

I took the car out to a professional tonneau maker to purchase materials and told him what I wanted to do and he smirked at me, bastard, ( obviously he didn't know who he was dealing with..:clown: ) but he was happy to sell me the materials for $35.

And this is the result.

002.jpg
015.jpg
014.jpg
007.jpg
010.jpg
012.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,287
Last edited:
Hi John,

I will make it black from the same material, I think, as it is pretty well priced and that allowes me to completely stuff it up on the first attempt. But I will have to reserve a whole 3 or 4 days to do the job as it takes a lot of concentration and head scratching to get the sequence right, but I'm up to it no problem.

I have the original soft top as a pattern and plenty of manuals so the rest is up to me.

scan0010.jpg

Last edited:
After I installed new exhaust extractors the tail pipe had moved to the right hand side straight below the heater core and I've had a feint hint of exhaust fumes being drawn into the cab from the negative pressure. The gas was being sucked through the rear grille and straight into the cab via the ducting. So I fabed up a tiny air box and no exhaust fumes have been detected since.

It's not original but is looks passable and is a solution to the problem.

Footnote: Mr. Greenblood if you are watching, all the leaf litter on my garage floor is from the damned Leopard tree even after I swept it the day before..:disappr:

003.jpg
002.jpg
004.jpg

Last edited:
After I installed new exhaust extractors the tail pipe had moved to the right hand side straight below the heater core and I've had a feint hint of exhaust fumes being drawn into the cab from the negative pressure. The gas was being sucked through the rear grille and straight into the cab via the ducting. So I fabed up a tiny air box and no exhaust fumes have been detected since.

It's not original but is looks passable and is a solution to the problem.

The exhaust isn't original either! I reckon that's a pretty tidy and authentic looking approach to the problem.

Great fabric work. I presume it is at least as good as the factory originals.

Footnote: Mr. Greenblood if you are watching, all the leaf litter on my garage floor is from the damned Leopard tree even after I swept it the day before..:disappr:

Oh, I'm watching, :)

As always nice work Mr. 59 Floride. . .
. . . and like you I spent a whole day last week cleaning up the mess from our Leopard tree after the winds and rain.

Cheers
Chris

Mr 59 Floride and Mr GreenBlood, are you Leopard trees in your yard/s or a curse on the footpath courtesy of the council like mine is?

Nice work Mr 59 Floride, very nice.