Renault Floride body rebuild.

The soft top..

A bit of research has gone into the manufacture of a new soft top...

In a moment of insanity I decided I could make one myself and the attached thread will document the journey of the last few weeks... http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102990

The rear window was marked/cut and the shape formed. The window plastic is 1.6mm thick and was glued in place with Selleys All clear, then a second window frame glued and sewn over top (see picture of interior in post #142 ).

Tensioning straps were installed along the edges of the frame, these are to help the mechanism open as well as acting as a wear pad to provide longevity for the top.

Chrome plated brass fitting clips were used in favour of Stainless steel and they seem quite robust.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,240
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,208
  • 023f.jpg
    023f.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,266
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,216
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,217
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,369
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,349
Last edited:
The soft top frame and bows painted...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,436
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,370
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,386
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,102
Last edited:
Looks fabulous, well done.
Shows what determination, some common sense, knowledge and the right tools for the job applied with care can achieve.

Trimming isn't part of my skill set and I respect your ability to begin from scratch.:headbang:
cheers
richo

Hi Peter,

The extractor to which you are referring isn't worthy of any ceramic coating because of the amateurish build quality, so it has been replaced with Mach 2.

Since returning from Junee I have installed a new extractor built to the exact same specification but with mandrel bends and vastly improved welding. I made a home built mandrel bender so was able to do a proper job of it as my welding and fabrication skills in general have improved vastly since my first attempt.

I really enjoy the satisfaction of designing and building the system myself and the added power and torque that comes with it...not to mention the sound.:tongue:

As for a ceramic coating, I will leave it as is for now as I am saving my ideas for the next project for which I haven't decided on the exact name, maybe "Daufenator" or " Frankendauf"
...havent decided yet..:)

(before all the Renault tragics give me cheek about the dirty engine bay, the car gets driven every day when I can, and I have a persistent fluid leak from the water pump)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,140
Last edited:
If others knew what I now know about the performance benefits of a 4-1 extractor I am sure they would beat a path to my door, the labor cost would be the killer tho..:cry:

If others knew what I now know about the performance benefits of a 4-1 extractor I am sure they would beat a path to my door, the labor cost would be the killer tho..:cry:

I considered 4:1 (after correspondence with Frans) but ended up with 4:2:1 for 4CV & R8 on the grounds that they give a better mid range while still not stifling the top end unless one has a "hairy Harold" cam. Mind you, any Ventoux or Sierra style motor benefits greatly from either type (& from induction changes).

Incidentally, a maximum effect sometimes does not yield a maximum result; some action is futile. And some results are not worth achieving anyway.

Although less snappy, how about: 'the effort devoted to achieving an end should be a function of that end's importance relative to others one might have, the achievement of which might be in conflict with the given end & of one's appraisal of the probability of achieving that end (& of achieving others in rivalry with it) & the extent of that achievement'? Nah, still overly simplistic.

I await the advent of the Dauphine-Gordorlmity with considerable interest. Even though it doesn't guarantee success, I hope that you will put in a maximum effort , not to mention quality wallet time.

cheers! Peter

Last edited:
I considered 4:1 (after correspondence with Frans) but ended up with 4:2:1 for 4CV & R8 on the grounds that they give a better mid range while still not stifling the top end unless one has a "hairy Harold" cam. Mind you, any Ventoux or Sierra style motor benefits greatly from either type (& from induction changes).

Incidentally, a maximum effect sometimes does not yield a maximum result; some action is futile. And some results are not worth achieving anyway.

Although less snappy, how about: 'the effort devoted to achieving an end should be a function of that end's importance relative to others one might have, the achievement of which might be in conflict with the given end & of one's appraisal of the probability of achieving that end (& of achieving others in rivalry with it) & the extent of that achievement'? Nah, still overly simplistic.

I await the advent of the Dauphine-Gordorlmity with considerable interest. Even though it doesn't guarantee success, I hope that you will put in a maximum effort , not to mention quality wallet time.

cheers! Peter

Peter,

Even though I agree with you wholeheartedly I must remind you that as a great orator and communicator one must communicate at a level to suit the audience, therefore I will opt the KISS principle and leave it as it is....:)

Peter,

Even though I agree with you wholeheartedly I must remind you that as a great orator and communicator one must communicate at a level to suit the audience, therefore I will opt the KISS principle and leave it as it is....:)

A-Fers sub-literate? - nah!

Time to bling up the dashboard..

I haven't updated this thread for quite a while so now would be a good time to round the whole thread off.

The gauge pod needed a thorough restoration as not much of it worked and to make matters worse it fell off the shelf while waiting for me to repair it and broke the plastic surround into 8 pieces. I repaired it with superglue and then glued linen inside with clear epoxy resin, a bit like fiberglassing I guess. Once the resin dried mixed up some red resin and coated the outside twice, then sanded and polished. It looks like new I think.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The faceplate was carefully cleaned and the bezel surround re-gilded, while the result was terrific more needed to be done.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The temp gauge was broken and the fuel gauge refused to park back at zero. Bob and Harley came to the rescue with a NOS 6 volt gauge dated 1958 (still in it's original package) and a voltage reducer to suit my 12 volt system. A small earth magnet was strategically place near the positive terminal to entice the fuel gauge to return to zero once turned off....worked a treat.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

And the finishing touch was Delivered in the mail a few days ago from Greenblood. I asked him to print me a new decal in reverse to be applied inside the gauge glass, noice! Legend Chris.:headbang: I have quite a few spares if anyone wants one (Just send me a PM and I'll post one out).

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5999.jpg
    IMG_5999.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,340
  • IMG_6000.jpg
    IMG_6000.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,344
  • IMG_6503.jpg
    IMG_6503.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,275
  • IMG_6009.jpg
    IMG_6009.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,319
  • IMG_6529.jpg
    IMG_6529.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6133.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_6507.jpg
    IMG_6507.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 2,190
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,261
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,438
  • IMG_6778.jpg
    IMG_6778.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,884
Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_6522.jpg
    IMG_6522.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,686
  • IMG_6550.jpg
    IMG_6550.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,366
Last edited:
[Hi all, the whitewalls are available in Nankangs from John Cain in Newcastle.

Mike.[/QUOTE]