Renault 9/11 ??

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I hope this is not another topic of controversy..I know the 19 was the successor to the Renault 11 & 9 overseas. I have a couple of Renault 9's advertised in Australia. Did the 9 ever get sold in Australia or were these some kind of private import? I saw one 9 advertised in the "just cars" magazine, & another advertised in the tradingpost this week. Maybe the TP add was a typo but I have never seen a 9 in the flesh on the roads. Were they sold in Australia or made here like some older models years ago? I know the 11 has never been in Australia. Can someone advise otherwise Ill have to start dance

Well Daniel you won't have to start dancing.

The 9 and 11 were never officially sold in Australia, and as far as I know none were ever imported for evaluation like the 18 Turbo and Superfive range around the same time.

Any 9 or 11 advertised for sale in AUS is likely to be a private import.

Simon

Ahhh the good old days when i lived in europe and seeing a Renault was about as common as seeing a commodore...

Renault 9 and 11 were so common up there. Not that we're missing out on anything that they werent brought here although it wouldve been good to see the 11 turbo here. I think Renault really did miss out on the turbo craze of the '80s in Australia. They should have imported the 5 turbo, Fuego turbo,21 turbo, 21 4x4 turbo, Clio Williams, 19 16v 2-door and all the rest.

People bought Pulsar ET Turbo's, Mitsubishi GSR turbo's, VL turbo's etc. Why didnt Renault stick theyre finger in the pie too???? question

9's and 11's are still common in Europe, especially Spain.

As for being replacements for the 19..I don't think so.
mallet

No the 19 was the replacement for the 9& 11. Check out: <a href="http://www.renaultfreaks.prv.pl/" target="_blank">http://www.renaultfreaks.prv.pl/</a>

The 9 is plentiful in places like greece and the balkan countries. I saw heaps when I was there.

renaulturbo:
Renault 9 and 11 were so common up there. Not that we're missing out on anything that they werent brought here although it wouldve been good to see the 11 turbo here. I think Renault really did miss out on the turbo craze of the '80s in Australia. They should have imported the 5 turbo, Fuego turbo,21 turbo, 21 4x4 turbo, Clio Williams, 19 16v 2-door and all the rest.

People bought Pulsar ET Turbo's, Mitsubishi GSR turbo's, VL turbo's etc. Why didnt Renault stick theyre finger in the pie too???? question
After trying out a private import 9TC some years ago after a Renault dealer wanted to off load it, I know that AUS didn't miss out on the 9. It had no Renault flair as well as the accommodation not being as comfy as Renaults of old as it had small seats. Probably that was the reason it sold so well though, it conformed to what people thought of as a normal car without lots of oddities to learn.

As for no turbo's. One reason was cost, in 1987 Renault Importers LNC imported the Superfive range for evaluation. The proposed sale price for a 5 Auto was to be $25K, and the 5 GT Turbo was $30-32K at a time when the Pug 205 GTi was $29,500. The other reasaon was that the cars were not engineered for airconditioning which would have been a major omission in equipment for the time.

The series 1 Clio in 1991 suffered a similar problem, not engineered for power steering and air cond which were considered essential for AUS.

Simon

I think I'd better come on and defend the poor little 9, my wife and I had a 1984 1.4 litre auto for years (with air cond), it was a private import from England, it was very light and easy to drive, great handling and surprising performance, my brother-in-law had a 17TL manuel at the time and in a straight line drag they were neck and neck. The only real worry with the 9 was that the A/C wasn't real good, we had to switch it off in traffic as it couldn't pump in enough cool air to do any good, but it was reliable (for an auto) very nippy, very easy to drive, comfortable and plenty of room for a small car, I recon we should have got them instead of the 18, it was a much better package.
One day I was reading the listing for the local damage car auctions and I couldn't beleive it, there was a 9 listed. I thought it had to be a misprint so I went down and there was a 9 GTL hit front and rear, I bought it for a next to nothing to use for spares and a year or so later our poor little 9 got T boned, the insurance co wrote it off and I repaired it with all the bits from the other car. The 9 served us well for many years and the only reason we sold it was because the family grew but the car didn't.

David.

Just to think the old 9/11 spawned the current strange shaped Megane until now. It really was a great little car. There is a bit on the net about it. I think David yours is the only one in australia.

Never see any..Brilliant little car.

The 9 I drove must have been a badun, it made the 12 feel like a sports car! Then again my 12 has got very close to a 17TS and given a 17G a good run for its money. But the 9 seemed on a road to nowhere with nouveau plain Toyota Corolla clone styling and the monotrace seats that I found exceptionally small and uncomfortable after the chairs of earlier Renaults. Perhaps I just have a big bum. I was allowed the car for an afternoon for a test drive so it wasn’t as though it was just a quick thrash and from memory it had 40,000odd miles on the clock so it wasn’t totally worn out.

Even the person who eventually traded a long owned Sage Grey 12 on it only had it for about 6 months before an orange Virage replaced it in the driveway. I wonder where that white 9 has gone now?

But the punters seemed to like it as it did sell exceptionally well in France and its export markets, and the new found ease of production should have made Renault a lot of money. Although I suppose the dalliance with AMC in the States ate up a lot of cash that caused Renault to pull out of F1 just at the time things seemed to be coming good.

Really I think the 9 will end up as one of the less well remembered Renault’s. There would be a few kicking around in AUS though, there are two in Adelaide (one the ex David C car), and another to keep it company as well as a cut up 11. There was a Champagne 11 TXE in Adelaide, but that has disappeared along with the white 9 I drove too.

For those keen on a Renault 9 experience, here's one from the Victorian Trading Post

Renault 9 4dr. Sedan, 1982mdl, 5spd, reg 1/03, VG mech/interior, paint fair, QAD705, $1100, (03)98011842 Vermont S