Renault 750 drum brakes help

bathst

Tadpole
I have recently bought a renault 750 with drums all round and i have vibration under braking from the front at least. I see there is a centering procedure. Does anyone have any resources they can point me to in setting them up correctly or advice on converting the fronts to discs? thx john

My father in law has early 1962-3 R8 discs (R1130) on the front of his 4CV with the standard drums on the rear. His brakes work quite well. Others have fitted the larger drums from the 1956 (first Year) star wheel Dauphine. Is your car a star wheel or disc wheel (1958 on?) type?

Using disc type wheels the change to disc brakes is not difficult, and with star wheels it would require a change of wheels to go to disc brakes. The later R8/10 discs can also be made to fit but require some machining of where the bearings are fitted as the stub axles on the later R8/10 are longer than the 4CV. The early R1130 R8 also has the same short stub axles as the 4CV so they fit easily.

I have fitted later R10 discs all round on my 4CV, but it is quite modified. I will be eventually fitting a "big brake" kit on the front of my 4CV using early R16 parts on this rebuild. Just doing it because I can, not because the R10 brakes are deficient.

I am sure others will give advice of how to sort your standard type drums, but the braking with these will never be anything like a modern vehicle.

My father in law has early 1962-3 R8 discs (R1130) on the front of his 4CV with the standard drums on the rear. His brakes work quite well. Others have fitted the larger drums from the 1956 (first Year) star wheel Dauphine. Is your car a star wheel or disc wheel (1958 on?) type?

Using disc type wheels the change to disc brakes is not difficult, and with star wheels it would require a change of wheels to go to disc brakes. The later R8/10 discs can also be made to fit but require some machining of where the bearings are fitted as the stub axles on the later R8/10 are longer than the 4CV. The early R1130 R8 also has the same short stub axles as the 4CV so they fit easily.

I have fitted later R10 discs all round on my 4CV, but it is quite modified. I will be eventually fitting a "big brake" kit on the front of my 4CV using early R16 parts on this rebuild. Just doing it because I can, not because the R10 brakes are deficient.

I am sure others will give advice of how to sort your standard type drums, but the braking with these will never be anything like a modern vehicle.

My car is the earlier star wheel although it is 53 or 55 i will look out the oval number. I will try and suss the centering procedure for the drums first but thank you!

It may be that your drums themselves are out of round and need to be machined. I have had to do this on some of my old bikes.

Reactions: COL

The vehicle is R 1062

It may be that your drums themselves are out of round and need to be machined. I have had to do this on some of my old bikes.
Yes that is possible but i wanted to not do that unnecessarily if centering could improve the issue? Also what do you do to get the wheels balanced?