Renault 25 Support

Along with the Fuego, 18, 12 etc, they have a fundamental design flaw with where the steering rack is placed - right behind the engine block. The engine being slung way out front means the rack is pushed back as soon the engine moves back, and without a properly collapsing steering column and suitably rigid dash support, the steering wheel ends up under your chin and breaking your neck....

Somebody knew and they did nothing.
ps - thanks Yoda :cool:
Haakon,
your too kind.
Some of us put survival at a premium.

Interesting the Peugeot 306 do not have this problem, rack set lower.

Somebody knew and they did nothing.

Haakon,
your too kind.
Some of us put survival at a premium.

Interesting the Peugeot 306 do not have this problem, rack set lower.
Totally different drive train layout. Also a newer design where crash performance was a little more included in the design process ;)

It wasn’t until around 2000 that carmakers started paying proper attention to safety - and it was Renault that kicked off the step change in the industry with the Laguna 2.

Renault Magnas I affectionately called them.

Maybe mentioned before but the R25 was the 'slipperiest car in a wind tunnel' of it's time, I forget what the drag co-efficient was.
It was achieved by creating a flat bottom on the car to reduce turbulence.

If you want a similar barge with way more power a few 3.0l v6 Lagunas II are still kicking around with 6 stars of safety.
You also get a talky female voice for various warnings like the R25.

The only problems I experienced on the goon (once I arrived in TAS ) besides rough roads and broken suspension was low RON fuel.
The computer would start complaining and put the car into limp mode until I pulled over for 5 mins.
They want premium 95 minimum.

5th Gear I think it was, shot one at a tree at 100km and hour. "That'd give you a headache". However all the doors still opened, and besides some leg intrusion and obvious brain trauma you'd get from a hit like that, the fact the passengers aren't part of the wreckage is quite remarkable. Safety standards have only improved in future Renaults, and were often best safety rating in their class, such as the megane hitting 6 stars for the first time any car had.

Their only achilles heel to my knowledge is their gearboxes are known to pack up and require an expensive replacement. My Laguna did 320k kms before I retired her the engine and gearbox still going strong, I got sick of repairing rims hitting potholes on it's low profile tires, less than ideal on Tassie roads, but wonderful on autobahns / city and highway driving.

R25 first released in 1983.
Let's say it took a conservative 5 years to design.
That makes it a 43 year old design.

Fall off your high horses and stop applying modern FEA safety to something like 8 generations old.
Accept the fact that they weren't the best in design and drive accordingly.

Where is your bleating about sub-quality/standard tyres that are allowed to be sold?

R25 first released in 1983.
Let's say it took a conservative 5 years to design.
That makes it a 43 year old design.

Fall off your high horses and stop applying modern FEA safety to something like 8 generations old.
Accept the fact that they weren't the best in design and drive accordingly.

Where is your bleating about sub-quality/standard tyres that are allowed to be sold?
Settle down tiger! I'm as big a fan of the 25 as anyone :) Just think its not really a good option as a daily anymore - I love the 25, but I love not being dead more... It was about average for safety in its day, but the road toll was also pretty horrific back then too!

I'm not really applying modern standards to the 25, more commenting on what's my priority - I'll happily punt around in a 25 for the occasional drive and roll the dice, but for daily ill stack the cards more in my favour and drive modern.

Settle down tiger! I'm as big a fan of the 25 as anyone :) Just think its not really a good option as a daily anymore - I love the 25, but I love not being dead more... It was about average for safety in its day, but the road toll was also pretty horrific back then too!

I'm not really applying modern standards to the 25, more commenting on what's my priority - I'll happily punt around in a 25 for the occasional drive and roll the dice, but for daily ill stack the cards more in my favour and drive modern.
precisely why I'm running a fleet or RX4 Scenics as the kids learn to drive.

R25 was way ahead of its time and although a barge compared to most Renaults, very comfortable.
I do agree, especially the v6 was very nose heavy and lead to oversteer, same as many FWD V6s.

The Scenic RX4 reminds me of the ride and versatility an R16 gives you, and is zippy enough, the AWD grippy enough, but the Laguna II is a beast compared like the PRV V6 R25 was, and much more refined.

The GTX with a 5 speed had a bit of magic about it as a very comfortable cruiser.

late504with side intrusion bars t boned i bought off owner when i had my workshop impressed owner so much he wanted me to find another one for him. intrusion bars were at least four times the size of much touted Volvo marketing campaign intrusion bars. on said damaged 504 intrusion bar stayed rigid where door skin either side of it was pushed in approximately 50mm .quality of design is everything we safety, unfortunately most consumers see cosmetic design first.

Later model Clios impressed me with with their rollover protection.
There was a post a few years ago where a clio ended up roof first into a pole and the drivers walked away.

I remind myself of how dangerous the little RWD renaults are.
The Dauphine was well known for diving nose down and tail up squashing its occupants from the roof down. The Dauphine is all crumple zone.

Renault have lead the way since the 60s and before for crumple zones so it's not like they weren't thinking of safety.
I don't think anyone could have imagined how safe cars would be today, breaking the 5 star rating system.

Later model Clios impressed me with with their rollover protection.
There was a post a few years ago where a clio ended up roof first into a pole and the drivers walked away.

I remind myself of how dangerous the little RWD renaults are.
The Dauphine was well known for diving nose down and tail up squashing its occupants from the roof down. The Dauphine is all crumple zone.

Renault have lead the way since the 60s and before for crumple zones so it's not like they weren't thinking of safety.
I don't think anyone could have imagined how safe cars would be today, breaking the 5 star rating system.
I remember having a speeding commodore running a red light in St Kilda one day and missing the front bumper of my R10 by inches... I parked it up and put the Rover 2000 back on the road after seeing my life flash before my eyes!

I remember having a speeding commodore running a red light in St Kilda one day and missing the front bumper of my R10 by inches... I parked it up and put the Rover 2000 back on the road after seeing my life flash before my eyes!

Since it's turning into a crash thread, I lost control at 70 on a dirt road, and rolled my R16 on the nullabor.
It flipped over 2 times, and slid on its roof into a sand bank for a face full of glass and sand.

It landed on the side and drivers side A pillar before coming to a stop. That pillar was barely bent. Very impressed considering how heavily the car was packed, and what caused the accident (over steer, over correct a couple of times and the wheels bit sideways in doing about 60 )

I drove that car a further 100kms in 45C heat to the border of WA/SA.
We used both the packed spares as 2 tires popped rolling the car back onto its wheels.

The police impounded the vehicle after parking it up at the roadhouse. Couldn't drive much over 70 with no windscreen and eventually the pressure pushed the back window out too.
It seemed appropriate to crack a cold beer whilst driving at that point. I learned what wind burn and sun stroke was that day.

Last edited:
try Ebay France This currently up

Renault R18-Fuego-R20-R21-R25-Espace gear lever repair kit

Cliquez pour agrandir

• miniature 1 - Renault R18-Fuego-R20-R21-R25-Espace gear lever repair kit
  • miniature 2 - Renault R18-Fuego-R20-R21-R25-Espace gear lever repair kit
Do you have one to sell ? Sell yours

Buy with Confidence​

EBay Customer Guarantee
Get a refund if you don't receive the item you ordered. Find out more- eBay Customer Guarantee - page opens in new window or tab

Seller Details​

data974 ( 12883 )
99.7% positive feedback

Save this seller

Show other objects
Contact the seller
Visit the Boutique

Registered as a professional seller

Renault R18-Fuego-R20- R21-R25-Espace gear lever repair kit​

State :
New: other (see details)

“In accordance with the reference and the photo ”

Amount :
More than 10 available / 24 items already sold

Price :
5,00 EUR

immediate purchase
Add to Cart
Add to the list of cases to follow
24 items already sold
Long-time member
23 people are following the sale

Delivery :
Delivery to the following country: Australia. Check the item description or contact the seller to learn more about delivery options. | Details

Located:
Blandy, mainland France

Place of delivery :
Whole world

Delivery time :
Varied

Payments:
PayPal
Google pay
Visa
MasterCard
Amex

Returns:
Refund within 14 days, buyer pays return shipping cost | Details

Rover 2000 had a front suspension very similar to a Alfa 156/147... 35 years before Alfa.