Renault 25 Support

No fan, no radio, no temp gauge, no speedo. Talking voice works. No rear spare tyre cradle at all ! Front lower oil leaks. Slightly hunting idle. Some minor panel damage. Sloppiest gear lever ever ! Willing engine. As I write this I’m thinking my last fuego was a smarter purchase-super reliable. Can’t find one not interstate now😢
I have a parts car in central Victoria you can have the cradle from, but will be a while before I can get back to the farm as I’m interstate …

I've seen R25 parts for sale from suppliers in France - the trick being to buy in batches to spread the high postage costs. There's a fair bit of R25 underpinning the Avantime too if I recall. There are owners also on the Facebook page of the Renault Classic Car Club in England, with some folk who even know the cars!! Parts maybe as well and they are responsive.

Have you found one with working electrics??
I have a parts car in central Victoria you can have the cradle from, but will be a while before I can get back to the farm as I’m interstate …
Thank you ! Any other bits for sale on the parts car ?

My 25 would stop in the same place regularly on my drive to work. The mechanic couldn’t replicate it despite idling it for ages.
finally worked out the computer was getting to warm, $$$ for a second hand one with no warranty, I put a small computer fan on the side of the box and it never happened again. Other than that it was a great drive.

Have a look at my thread free shed sale.
I will be listing some R25 stuff in a week or so.
Would prefer to quit it all in one go.

I have two in a paddock wrecking.
One manual needs a driveshaft. Other auto.
Heaps of spares.
These are a wonderful car, elec problems like Haakon said but otherwise brilliant tourer.
Nearly as good as a Lancia Flavia 2000. Very low level of fatigue.
Replaced rear springs with R20 as the back-end was too soft.

Gear shift was always sloppy and soft. I liked it !
" waning engine overheating! stop engine immediately and contact your Renault service centre!"

Attachments

• Reno25.JPG
    Reno25.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 117
I have two in a paddock wrecking.
One manual needs a driveshaft. Other auto.
Heaps of spares.
These are a wonderful car, elec problems like Haakon said but otherwise brilliant tourer.
Nearly as good as a Lancia Flavia 2000. Very low level of fatigue.
Replaced rear springs with R20 as the back-end was too soft.
Independent rear would prob mean you could run firmer shocks.

Sulla,
not my reason.
The rear springs on the R25 were too soft which meant the rear of the car steered, unstable oversteer.
I do things for good reasons.

Gear shift was always sloppy and soft. I liked it !
" waning engine overheating! stop engine immediately and contact your Renault service centre!"
When I got that warning luckily I was right out side a radiator repair shop. The car was not boiling yet but very close. A small hose that is almost impossible to get back on was the culprit.

French Car Care in Brisbane have wrecked a number of these over the years, and Denis the owner still uses an R25 as a daily, so has a good knowledge of these vehicles. They have collected quite a bit of new old stock for Renaults over the years and in my case I have bought a lot of new parts for my Fuego from here.

Hi all,

I'm considering
buying a Renault 25GTX. It needs a few like gearbox bushes to tighten the shifter. Renault Aust says no parts for models prior to 1990.
How are you folk keeping these '25's going ?
Where will i get bits for this manual one ?

I think this one is a bit good for the scrap heap.
Thanks in advance 😀

'
These are the R20/25/30parts: All N.O.S. :2x rear axle brgs
1X r20 HYDRAULIC RAM 7910 016 928
1X cv Boot
1x R18 fr 1/4 light 7701365552
1x Strg rack bellow
1xR18 A/C fan rheostat
3x R18 fr gearbox seals
2x R20 driveshaft seals
1x R18 outer w/brg
1x Tweeter spkr cover
1x R20 w.washer sw
1x set alternator brush kit
4x R20 silentbloc bushes 7701 349 055
1x R18 int lamp
1x Instrument frame surround 7700 675 100
1x Hazard sw
1x Fan rheostat sw
2x R18 fr seals 7703 087 079
1x Door checkstrap
1x R20 fr hub seal kit
1x R20 fuel sender
1x R20 EGR valve
1x R20 central lock solenoid
1x R20 ind sw
1x R20 outer door handle
1x R18 g.b brg
3x Retaining straps 7700 630 451
1x Temp control unit
1x Retaining belt 7700 647 328
1x R20/25 fr ball joint
1x Hazard sw 7701 348 545
10 x W/W handles
1x set fr brackets
1x R20 clutch fork
6x R20 dash knobs
1x RH steering stay bar 7700 580 572
1x Rear axle
1x Gear lever 7701 580 572
1x R20 door latch assy
1x Bonnet release catch 7704 501 974
1x R18 int lamp
4x W/W jets
4x R18 lower grill trim clips
1x Spare wheel adj holder
1x Oil pressure sw 7700 755 752
5x c/s srews 7903 004 007
1x Union bolt 7700 650 239
1x R20 seal 7703 065 102
1x Roll bar mount
2x Moulding end caps
1x Indicator sw
1x Handbrake cable
2x Distributor caps , side entry.
I have other cables etc which I can't identify but with a picture sample I may be able to help with. Obviously I would prefer to sell as a job lot , otherwise the cherries get picked leaving the pits behind. Let me know your thoughts. Chris Hartwell.

$245 THE LOT PLUS FREIGHT.

Hi all,

I'm considering
buying a Renault 25GTX. It needs a few like gearbox bushes to tighten the shifter. Renault Aust says no parts for models prior to 1990.

Thanks in advanc

Hi all,

I'm considering

Thanks in advance 😀
Contact me if you are interested in a bulk R20/25 parts puchase, see my previous ads. Chris.

Thanks to all who replied regarding my pending decision on buying a ‘25 and Parts support for such.
I’ve decided not to go ahead.
Just seems risky with the electrics. Even here there’s division on 25 electrics.
I need dependability. Had that with Fuegos , could drive them 6-8hrs a day no probs.
So if it’s a Renault it’ll be a good Fuego ( like a Unicorn with hens teeth) or a Clio Sport 172.
Ive suggested Aussiefrogs to the ‘25 seller…

Thanks to all who replied regarding my pending decision on buying a ‘25 and Parts support for such.
I’ve decided not to go ahead.
Just seems risky with the electrics. Even here there’s division on 25 electrics.
I need dependability. Had that with Fuegos , could drive them 6-8hrs a day no probs.
So if it’s a Renault it’ll be a good Fuego ( like a Unicorn with hens teeth) or a Clio Sport 172.
Ive suggested Aussiefrogs to the ‘25 seller…

They are a very old and pretty rare car - if you want dependability buy a Camry. Or if you dont turn your own spanners, buy a Camry.

But if you want something cool that is reliable if youre mechanically literate and sympathetic and are willing to learn new things then theyre a fun car.

My electrics were good, with a resolder of the instruments the only thing it ever had done. Drove it Perth once in 3 days fully loaded even...

But they are very old and essentially toys these days. I wouldnt advocate anything that old as a daily just on safety features - the R25 obviously doesn't have airbags or ABS or anything, and frankly they're pretty terrible in a serious crash. There is a crash test video of one on YouTube and its not pretty!!

"There is a crash test video of one on YouTube and its not pretty!!"
Haakon,
surprises me this .
As you say no airbags or ABS but well designed and safe interior.
I dragged one into an erosion gully with the tractor and inverted it , rolled down and i was surprised how little damage.
Have hit a couple of wombats with one and no serious damage, P206 or 307 would have been toast.

However my wife had a small truck run into the side of her Scenic RX4 in Nimmitabel and there was slight damage, wheel, guard , engine mount. Garage across from the accident was mighty impressed.
Real world safety!
but strangely Scenic are not popular? Maybe too sensible and French?

"There is a crash test video of one on YouTube and its not pretty!!"
Haakon,
surprises me this .
As you say no airbags or ABS but well designed and safe interior.
I dragged one into an erosion gully with the tractor and inverted it , rolled down and i was surprised how little damage.
Have hit a couple of wombats with one and no serious damage, P206 or 307 would have been toast.

However my wife had a small truck run into the side of her Scenic RX4 in Nimmitabel and there was slight damage, wheel, guard , engine mount. Garage across from the accident was mighty impressed.
Real world safety!
but strangely Scenic are not popular? Maybe too sensible and French?
Along with the Fuego, 18, 12 etc, they have a fundamental design flaw with where the steering rack is placed - right behind the engine block. The engine being slung way out front means the rack is pushed back as soon the engine moves back, and without a properly collapsing steering column and suitably rigid dash support, the steering wheel ends up under your chin and breaking your neck....

ouch! lucky I never crashed a Fuego that hard!
I did crash 2 of them until I learned my lesson that old TRXs are hopeless in the wet.
one was skidding on tram tracks, following a drunk person.. other was rear ending stopped traffic uphill in the wet.