Renault 19 hatch

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Dave,

my sister just bought a R19hatch. Nice car but feels very flat compared to my old BX19tri... Are these cars particuly quick, or do they all feel like they have a massive flat spot?? It goes well, just doens't have the instant urge from all revs that the old BX does... At least is wont be spinning the wheels in the wet all the time
smile.gif
Fuel pump is extremely loud to, are these in tank, or sill mounted pumps. My guess is she'll be after one soon.

seeya,

Shane Leviston

Hi Shane,
Good choice, but no the 19 doesn't come close to a BX, any BX, I dont know why but remember the BX is an exeptional car when it comes to performance, probably because its so light, have you driven a 405? Its hard to believe there the same underneath. I like the 19 because to drive it feels like a modern 16TS, needs more power, but so did the 16.
David.

Hi Dave,

don't start me on 16TS's. My fist car was a R12, course I wanted a 16TS, but there was no good ones to be found..... For some reason they all got driven into the ground. Used to love driving my mother 16TS when I was about 15, why didn't they put that motor into the R12?? Why didn't the R12 handle like a 16? Of course I also wanted a GS as a close 2nd to a R16 as a first car.

Now I have a GS, um, and CX, and DS and ID, and BX and..... No R16 (must be a TS and manual, I did find a couple of Auto TL, but they didn't interest me at all), I'd still like one, oneday
smile.gif

Nope, my next car is my old man's old 85 CX2500 gti Turbo I series II... if he'll ever sell it
smile.gif

cxturbo.jpg

seeya,

Shane Leviston

Shane, is that really your old mans car? Dare I say it but it looks to good to be a CX, I couldn't imagine your father driving that, I wish my printer worked, I've driven a GTI turbo 11 and its weird driving a CX with attitude.
David.

Hi Dave,

yep, that's my old mans car. He bought it when my parents did a job exchange to the UK. It a bog standard CX gti Turbo I series II except for the wheels. It's no race car, but still gently pushes you back in the seat at 200km/h (er, alledgedly). Now if he'll just sell it to me, did I hear anyone mention a machonics conversion??

It's just a higher pressure wastegate and computer mapping that give slightly higher mixture at high revs. Give's upto 400hp (seriosly). The normal machonics converison is about 200hp and does no damage to the motor in the long term (after all it's very strong and based on the diesel engine block/crank etc).

seeya,

Shane Leviston

Hmm, a 19 is like a modern version of a 16TS, sort of putting the 16 in a bad light really :). Apart from the heavy steering on the 16 a 19 (the ones sold in AUS, not sure about the 16V) really is dynamically inferior to the 16. The 19 has no flair or imagination in its design. Sort of French Ford Laser, but it did sell well in Europe, so I suppose taking the Frenchness out of a car (and this applies to both the Citroen and Pug too)certainly helps it to sell better!

Simon,
Yes your right, the 19 is rather boring compaired to the 16, but the 19 is a pracital front wheel drive hatch back with torsion bar suspension and even the upright driving position (compared to other cars) is very 16 and it is the closest thing Renault have built to the 16 since the 16. Put it another way, if you had someone come to you with a 16 they have had since new and was getting tired and rusty and because it was such a good car they want to stick with Renault, what model would you recomend?
David.

Hi all,
just to put my two bits in..
Having owned a couple (if not always running) 16's, I would have to say the 19 is the 16ish renault, but if I had to choose between a 5 speed TX and a 91 chamade in similar knick, the TX would get my vote. A 95 Alize might tempt me with mod cons.

I did love my 73 Triton green TS with matching carpet and seats though...

Let's see if this message gets me flamed!!

If someone was to have a trusty rusty 16 that needed replacing, I would probably point them in the direction of a Subaru Impreza or Liberty wagon. Both of these are well built tough cars, as opposed to the 19 which has a certain flimsy feel. If they HAD to have a Renault I would suggest a 1993-95 Laguna, they seem to be built that bit tougher and of better materials, also they have a bit more go in them, as well as more room for people in the back seat.

Before I get the full flambe treatment, note that I don't and have never owned a Subaru, and have stuck with Renault for the last 18 years. I also remember going to see the first Citroen GS in AUS, a LHD model at Chateau Moteur, being an impressionable non-driving youngster at the time I liked the odd gauges and humungous boot, so French cars have been a large part of my life. It is just that Renaults the late 80's and early 90's all seem a bit of a yawn, apart from the 5 and 25.

My two bobs bit - I agree about the renault 25 - I think that they are still really very nice to drive and nicely equipped. I also drove a R5 around the UK many years ago and it was good. I drove a Megane hatch through southern France last year and it is a very nice little performer indeed in manual/petrol. Today I drove a brand new Nissan work car - and it was such a cheap looking plastic piece with no style & boring to drive- the moulded floor carpet has already come away at 13,000 kms.
QUOTE]Originally posted by Simon:
Let's see if this message gets me flamed!!

If someone was to have a trusty rusty 16 that needed replacing, I would probably point them in the direction of a Subaru Impreza or Liberty wagon. Both of these are well built tough cars, as opposed to the 19 which has a certain flimsy feel. If they HAD to have a Renault I would suggest a 1993-95 Laguna, they seem to be built that bit tougher and of better materials, also they have a bit more go in them, as well as more room for people in the back seat.

Before I get the full flambe treatment, note that I don't and have never owned a Subaru, and have stuck with Renault for the last 18 years. I also remember going to see the first Citroen GS in AUS, a LHD model at Chateau Moteur, being an impressionable non-driving youngster at the time I liked the odd gauges and humungous boot, so French cars have been a large part of my life. It is just that Renaults the late 80's and early 90's all seem a bit of a yawn, apart from the 5 and 25.

[/QUOTE]

Hi,

yep R25 get's the thumbs up by me as well. We owned one for about 8years, and the only time it held us up was when the plastic Radiator died in Adelaide. I don't like Automatics (which this was) but I agree if feels much bettter to drive than an R19....

It'll take more than that to get me out of my 22year old CX2400 5spd. Doesn't look like a C5 will do anything for me either
smile.gif

Havne't driven a Luguna yet, but will as soon as I get a chance. Still can't see myself leaving the old Cit CX for that either(but ask me again the first hot day next summer).

5GT turbo or 8gordini is me
smile.gif

seeya,

Shane Leviston

Well guys, good to see people read this, keep the comments coming,
Really we are arguing about personal taste and sure the 25 and Laguna are far better cars than the 19, but there in a different class, were talking Mercedes, BMW class. The 16 was simply a good honest working mans car that had alot (and still does) going for it, it wasn't fully optioned or the fastest or even the best put together car on the market, it was affordable, reliable, pracitcal, comfortable, safe, and on the modern car market the 19 is the only Renault that falls into the same catagory, You all must admit that parts and running cost for 19 is alot more affordable than a 25 or Laguna and yes a 19 is dearer than a 16 but all new cars are.
See Ya's,
David.