Renault 16TS Parts?

Damien

Fellow Frogger
I have an old Renault 16TS which has not been driven for nearly 2 years.

The engine was always strong and never gave me any problems. The manual gearbox was great too. From memory, I think that the thrust race (is that right??) needed replacing, but it didn't hinder me from 3 years of trouble free motoring.

The body is as rough as guts, but the seats and door trims were good, and there are some good mechanicals on the vehicle.

There is also a spare 16TL, with lots of spare parts with it, and I would hate to think that some of these parts don't eventually find a good home.

The cars are located near Wauchope, west of Port Macquarie, on the NSW Mid-North coast, so if you are interested in the engine/gearbox, or are looking for anything else (eg- bumper bars, headlamps, etc, etc), please give me a bell, and I will be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

BTW, are parts for R16's becoming more difficult to come by, or are they still quite easy to come find?

Either way, I would like to see the parts go to a good home!

regards,
Damien

yolk74@yahoo.com.au

Hi Damien,

It seems that there are lots (in relative terms) of R16's out there in a similar state to yours, great mechanicals but stuffed bodies. I know of two in Melbourne for sale at the moment....Actually make that four, I own two more also!

Hope someone up there can use the bits as I hate them going to the tip. It's great to have parts cars but I'm still looking for a good R16 to use the parts on!

Ed.

<small>[ 01 May 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Ed B ]</small>

Ed B:
Hi Damien,

It seems that there are lots (in relative terms) of R16's out there in a similar state to yours, great mechanicals but stuffed bodies. I know of two in Melbourne for sale at the moment....Actually make that four, I own two more also!

Hope someone up there can use the bits as I hate them going to the tip. It's great to have parts cars but I'm still looking for a good R16 to use the parts on!

Ed.
You're right! We were followed home by an early 1970s 16TS in original and very tired but straight condition tonight. Trouble is, by the time the mechanicals wear out, the rest is completely stuffed! These cars are still going in much unaltered condition after 30 years - not bad!!

I have many parts I'll never use but keep in the hope that one day someone else will really need them. Then I'll happily part with things I don't need.

JohnW

My first car was an early model 16TL, which ended up being a lemon, due to a blown head, and a missing drivers window I never checked existed. Learned my first lesson, never buy a car in the dark. Since then I owned another 2, and eventually 1 became of them after dropping a TS motor, into an immaculate body, and driving it over the Nullabor from Perth to Melbourne. Totally reco motor, new shocks, bushes, tyres.. beautiful straight car. Managed to roll it, swerving to miss piles of wood on the road (fully laiden) drove it a further 100kms to the border and had to leave it in Norsman. I have driven an 84 Fuego since. I am now looking around for a 16.. a little work to be done is ok.. but my uncle has many parts still in boxes from the renault factory in Melbourne when it closed down. So I am on the hunt to restore a 16, preferably without much rust, and running condition. If anyone out there knows of any for sale please let me know. Thanks

David (vivid@australia.edu)

vivid:
My first car was an early model 16TL, which ended up being a lemon, due to a blown head, and a missing drivers window I never checked existed. Learned my first lesson, never buy a car in the dark. Since then I owned another 2, and eventually 1 became of them after dropping a TS motor, into an immaculate body, and driving it over the Nullabor from Perth to Melbourne. Totally reco motor, new shocks, bushes, tyres.. beautiful straight car. Managed to roll it, swerving to miss piles of wood on the road (fully laiden) drove it a further 100kms to the border and had to leave it in Norsman. I have driven an 84 Fuego since. I am now looking around for a 16.. a little work to be done is ok.. but my uncle has many parts still in boxes from the renault factory in Melbourne when it closed down. So I am on the hunt to restore a 16, preferably without much rust, and running condition. If anyone out there knows of any for sale please let me know. Thanks

David (vivid@australia.edu)
David,

They are "around" but "relatively rust-free" is of course the issue! Best of luck.

If ever you need doors I have too many (in Perth). 4 completely stripped, straight and rust free, although with badly cracked paint are always available - just can't bear to send them to the tip even though I'll never use them.

Your uncle doesn't have any surplus rear suspension trailing arm bushes does he? The component has a needle roller mounted in a bonded rubber block in which the torsion bar housing tube rotates?

Cheers

JohnW

unfortunately more cosmetic type parts, such as a brand new dash, door trims and aluminium kick trimmings. I was offered to buy a TX a few years back in Melbourne, wish I had now.

Hi
My dad bought a French built 16TS in 1969. We have been tring to locate the car recently.
Burgandy colour brown interior last seen in the Dubbo area.
I am also on the hunt for 16TS bits mainly engines. I am also looking for 18 engines and manual boxes.
Graeme
ytau@bigpond.net.au

vivid:
unfortunately more cosmetic type parts, such as a brand new dash, door trims and aluminium kick trimmings. I was offered to buy a TX a few years back in Melbourne, wish I had now.
I would count yourself as fortunate! Hard to get, even harder to make than most mechanical things! I have a spare grill (plastic) and most of a Mk1 aluminium grill - now these are hen's teeth.

JohnW

even though I dont own a 16 anymore, (moreso 'yet') I noticed there were quite a few 16s last time I looked down at pick-a-part, and the last time I went there was 1. I am tempted in grabbing some cozmetic bits off it for the future, such as the aluminium grill.

My father had a 16TS when I was a couple of years old. It was dark brown.
Somebody sugared the petrol tank twice. The second time was a couple of days before we were due to move from the east coast of NSW to west of Bourke.
Not wanting to do the trip in a non frog, he traded itin on a tired R10. Halfway across NSW the engine began to rattle, but it kept going all the same. It expired 5kms from our destination.
When he stripped the engine, he found that all of the rings had been broken for some time, and the rattle had been caused by a piece of the piston breaking off and rattling in the chamber.
He often says the 16TS was one of the best cars he ever had.

If you are looking for rust-free R16s then Canberra is the place to look. Our club is often offered cars for free and generally the bodies are good, though paint can be a little tatty. Will try to remember to post them on Aussiefrogs next time we are offered such an example.

that'd be awesome.. I would prefer a TL body, and throw a TS motor in it. I know it costs about $200 to put a car on a truck from Sydney to Melbourne, anyone know what it costs from Canberra?