Renault 16TS 4 speed man, Tasmania.

frogs4ever

Fellow Frogger
1975 model. "Trak Yellow" paint work, with black plastic radiator grill. Full instrumentation (round dials).

Good points:
============

Original, if a little rough;
Registered (but only till Feb 11th 2003);
Motor and gearbox good;
Brakes are excellent after $500 expenditure;
Reconditioned upper wishbones and steering rack;
Spare panels and other parts;
Haynes workshop manual and R16 owner's manual included;
Many receipts and tips;
All mechanical work has been done by ex Renault dealers.

Bad points:
===========
Rust here and there and some dents, but all repairable, with the help of the above spare panels;
Rear suspension needs work;
Cylinder head needs the top welsh plug replaced (common problem);
Tyres will need replacing soon;
Top of fuel tank rusty;
Front door locks have the usual Renault 16 problems.

A much loved car, which has been my daily transport on and off for 8 years, but is now in need of restoration if it is to be used as everyday transport. I do not have the space or facilities to do this myself, or the money to pay someone else to do it for me so, reluctantly, she must go, to someone who can return her to former glory.

To arrange a viewing and/or test drive, send a 'private message'.

$? Best offer!

<small>[ 29 January 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: frogs4ever ]</small>

SOLD.

To a young Alfa enthusiast who is a spray painter by trade. He'd never driven an R16 until this one and was very surprised. He plans to restore the bodywork over the next few months. He originally planned to do it up for his mum (who loves old cars) but after a test drive decided he wants to keep it for himself. His girlfriend was very impressed to by the smooth ride, comfort and performance.

It's really heartening to see young people being impressed by these old classics, instead of just diehards like me.

I'm also glad to hear it went to a good home and that you didn't just dispose of it!

JohnW

UPDATE:

The new owner plans to photographically document the restoration, and I have offered to upload the photos to a web site which will follow the restoration from start to finish. This is nice for me, because I'll take great pleasure in seeing my old beast returned to something aproaching its former glory.

I actually sold the car to him for just $2!

Financially it would have been better for me to just put an ad in the local paper something like:

"Cheap, reliable car, ideal for student, $500"

... but I couldn't bear to see such a lovely car end that way.

blush

Sounds like a really good car for only $2. Good to see young guys still interested in these cars.
I miss my old R12 too at times.

Wonderful!!!

I have more 16TS bits than I need or could possibly use, so if he is short of anything, I won't mind being asked. If I can help him, I will be pleased to.

JohnW