Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red

Sarosa

Fellow Frogger
I'm getting stuck into a 16TS over this spring/summer and are motivated to get it done, so I thought I'd write a thread on it here, given I don't think there has been a 16 restoration thread on here yet.

I love the spec of this 16. My favourite year (1969), my favourite colour (Barossa Red) and my favourite model (TS). I'm just looking at restoring it to a level of a good "daily driving" R16.

The car came from another R16 enthusiast (Thanks Jason!) and before that was pretty much a paddock car for I'm not sure how long. Has a bit of rust that needs to be sorted (mainly rear floors) but structurally, in the right places, it is surprisingly very sound. It is one seriously dirty car though. Lot's and lot's of dirt. It also has, at some stage, had a respray and the colour match was terrible. (See Photo's below of the door & wheel archers with vinyl covers off, you'll notice the resprayed colour is too pinkish compared to the lovely deep Cab Sav colour it should be). So the main jobs will be cleaning, welding, respraying and interior work. I'll be going it all myself unless my respraying is too poor for the outside of the vehicle, then I'll get that outsourced.

The first photo's are of the car getting mostly stripped out. As you can see it's very dirty even though the photo's were taken after I had removed quite a bit of dirt already!!

Attachments

• 16TS Inside.jpg
    16TS Inside.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 602
  • 16TS Engine Bay.jpg
    16TS Engine Bay.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 668
  • TS Door colour.jpg
    TS Door colour.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 582
SaRosa,
Man you bring back good memories !!!!

And it all comes back to being a fantastic car again.

Keep us in tune please.
Ray

I'm with Geckoeng! Makes a man go quite misty. Restoration to "good daily driver" ticks my boxes too.

Have fun. I do look forward to the photos as they come over the months.

Cheers

More cleaning, scraping and wiping....and probably another weekend or two of the same to come. A good thing about taking photo's is you get to see the change. I checked the rear brakes and they looked surprisingly clean after a spray of cleaner. I'll leave them for now. Found some writing in the engine bay of the re-spray done. Rego sticker states probably last registered Oct 1986, so only a relatively short time road registered.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 740
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 557
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 533
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 558
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 516
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 545
I bought a 16 in 1969 because I was told I would have to wait a year for a 16TS! The only red to chose from for my 16 was a colour named Cherry Red. It was a fair bit darker than the reds that followed. I was peed off that the TS arrived only 8 months after I traded my R10 in on the 16! I rallied the 16 for a couple of years and it always looked a kind of muddy brown.....

More cleaning, scraping and wiping....and probably another weekend or two of the same to come. A good thing about taking photo's is you get to see the change. I checked the rear brakes and they looked surprisingly clean after a spray of cleaner. I'll leave them for now. Found some writing in the engine bay of the re-spray done. Rego sticker states probably last registered Oct 1986, so only a relatively short time road registered.

That looks pretty sound to me. Great! the rear brakes look very much like Dauphine, don't they! You have one good buy there I reckon.

Cheers

A 16 would look sick with 2 longer doors...

Looks really good alright. Well done.

I hope the rear brakes on mine are in as good a nick as that when I get to them.

That looks pretty sound to me. Great! the rear brakes look very much like Dauphine, don't they! You have one good buy there I reckon.

Cheers

Yep! Having just renovated front & rear brakes, I can say they are just about identical!

I had a go at some rust repair to the front headlight area. The patch panel was OK but I cut it a bit undersize, despite checking a few times. Welding was a bit skewwhiff. I changed my welder over to flux cored wire from gas for convenience sake but it was a bit horrible to work with. I'll be changing it back before I do any floor welding.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 415
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 413
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 433
I hate going wheel arches. Most hard on the body and hands. I scrapped and brushed off what I could. The good old, close to 50 years old!, electrophoresis has held up and done it's job extremely well and will continue to do so. I POR-15'ed the seam line, front face of the A pillar and headlight cowl. Were the existing coating stubbornly held (say 20% of the total area), I let it be, but marine cleaned it all and then sprayed a rubberized coating on, including on the lower wishbone.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 467
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 470
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 472
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 471
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 470
I did the engine bay today and despite the windy weather I'm really happy with the result. Nice gloss off the gun with the Protec Acrylic paint.

Attachments

• Engine Bay 2.jpg
    Engine Bay 2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 521
  • Engine Bay 3.jpg
    Engine Bay 3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 466
  • Engine Bay 4.jpg
    Engine Bay 4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 497
  • Engine Bay 5.jpg
    Engine Bay 5.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 511
Before and after!

Attachments

• Engine Bay before.jpg
    Engine Bay before.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 438
  • Engine Bay Post.jpg
    Engine Bay Post.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 442
Nice painting, but your masking needs work!
Looks really good. Well done.

Such a good colour! Reminds me of red devil grease. :D

Sarosa !!!!

You are making me want to get into the TX.........

AAaahhhh for some time.

Ray

John !!!!

You have got to seek HELP ............!!!!!!