Renault 16 Australian Register - Discussion Thread

But one question from reading this, what's 'Electrophoresis'?

Electrophoresis was the application of a zinc phosphate paint undercoat using an electrically charged dipping bath, it was developed by ICI in Australia, but it was already a common process in European car manufacturing. In theory, dipping the body into the electrically charged paint bath (the bath was negative, the body positive) caused an even zinc phosphate paint undercoat that covered all normally inaccessible areas such as the interior of box sections. Apparently there was a time where the temperature of the bath was incorrect causing incomplete coating in places. Over time a lot of the cars involved (over the 1970 - 1972 period) rusted out prematurely, usually over a period of 12 - 18 months.

Also a secondary problem, not associated with the Electrophoresis process. Was where a number of cars over the same period suffered from excessive heat application, which caused the undercoat to peel on the interior of the box sections (such as the sills) that also caused premature rusting. The problems were resolved by 1973, and by 1974 there were further rust prevention measures introduced.

Renault 16 TX Box Where did you get it please??

:confused:
Hi Sarosa,

Yes I do have a R16TS, bought 2 months ago. Was originally brought over from the East about 9-12 months ago. Not sure of its history. Just that it is a very good base care to start a project with. It will not be a resto, but along the lines of a California Custom. I have just organised a 16TX box for it in the UK. It will have minor body change, upgraded suspension and lowered (hence the questions to Simon) 2 tone paint, with all the bling polished up. It came with 14" Dunlops. Interior will be completely updated. I have just taken a lot of stuff off of a 20TS, including a very nice small air con unit. Was an Auto. Need front and rear window rubber stainless trim.

Oval 1154 9643
Diamond 7061393

Not able to see the Oz plate as it has immobilizer and car alarm in the way. Is repainted (long time ago) in very light grey. Is not registered at present. Will sit till Dauphine is very well on its way. Instruments are Jaeger, so a KPH speedo required.

I will enjoy !!!!
Thanks, Ray

TX Box !!!

Hi Greg,

I found mine in the UK, where it is at the moment, waiting for other stuff to be parceled so all can come back in one box of freight.

Be weary of ones in France they are very expensive and not always in decent condition, and because of the supposed difficulty of getting are expensive.

Ray

Just an update on the register. We had our first newsletter out a few weeks ago and second one due out in October. If you have an R16 OR are just interested in receiving info/newsletters from the register please send an email to the register with your details. So far we have 37 cars and 25 members.

Some stat's from the first newsletter:

Break Up by Model
16 R1150 5
16TS R1151 17
16TL R1152 4
16TLA R1153 1
16TSA R1154 7
16TX R1156 1
Total 35

Break Up by Year
1968 1
1969 7
1970 2
1971 2
1972 5
1973 4
1974 4
1975 0
1976 8
TBP 2
Total 35

Top 3 Colours
Alpine White 6
Trak Yellow 5
Sage Grey 4

australianR16register@yahoo.com.au

:cheers:

Is this one of mine that's missing? A 1976 R16TA R1154

I'm really struggling to find the engine number, and VicRoads is expecting 17 digits??!!

VIN 7089713
Oval (R1154) 33813 (761)
Any ideas where the engine number is likely to be??

Couldn't find it on the exhaust side up top where I normally do.

Simon do you have my car on your magic list?

Thanks Col, great to have a detailed story. Interestingly we have another 69TS on the register just 20 cars before yours, 67,687.

So far we have:

3 R1150's (Renault 16, 1470cc)
15 R1151's (TS, Manual)
3 R1152's (TL, Manual)
1 R1153 (TL, Automatic)(Havn't confirmed)
5 R1154's (TS, Automatic)
1 R1156 (TX, Manual)
-----

Plus waiting for another 7 cars confirmed but need to send in their numbers + following up another 5.:)

I'll send out an email with all the registrants on soon (When I get the next 7) listing all the cars, numbers and contact's etc and put the list in here (AF) if I get the owners permission.

:cheers:

I'm really struggling to find the engine number, and VicRoads is expecting 17 digits??!!

VIN 7089713
Oval (R1154) 33813 (761)

Sounds like everyone is getting confused. Vicroads seem to be expecting a 17 digit VIN, of which that era Renault (and many other cars) never had. The chassis number (Diamond Plate) is the equivalent of the VIN.

The engine number is normally on a riveted rectangular tag on the side of the block above the starter motor, and stamped on the top of the alloy block engine block where it is sandwiched between the starter motor and the bellhousing.

Your cars isn't on any list that I've got, magic or otherwise, but a stab at the original engine number would be circa 190xx

Sounds like everyone is getting confused. Vicroads seem to be expecting a 17 digit VIN, of which that era Renault (and many other cars) never had. The chassis number (Diamond Plate) is the equivalent of the VIN.

The engine number is normally on a riveted rectangular tag on the side of the block above the starter motor, and stamped on the top of the alloy block engine block where it is sandwiched between the starter motor and the bellhousing.

Your cars isn't on any list that I've got, magic or otherwise, but a stab at the original engine number would be circa 190xx

Thanks Simon, I'll take another look so your magic list can be updated. ;)

Thanks Simon, I'll take another look so your magic list can be updated. ;)

Legend aka Foot again Simon.

I had real problems reading it as my car has a heat shield above the starter obscuring access to clean the grease off.

So obscured I couldn't get a photo.

I could get to the last three digits, and after staring a while first 3 looked like 190.

190xx BINGO

Thanks Simon.

Vivid what about combining R15 with R17 as a register.

I've often wondered if my R16 still exists.

1976 16TS (plastic grille)
Vic reg: IUE840
Avocado Green
Manual
Chassis & Eng no. unknown

Distinguising feature were some s/steel replacement inserts which were rivetted in to the inside corners of the tailgate where it had had a small amount of rust that a mate made up & fitted for me.

Purchased from a chap in Beaumaris who was selling it for his school teacher daughter living in Geelong where the car used to reside. I was the 2nd owner.

Electrophoresis was the application of a zinc phosphate paint undercoat using an electrically charged dipping bath, it was developed by ICI in Australia, but it was already a common process in European car manufacturing. In theory, dipping the body into the electrically charged paint bath (the bath was negative, the body positive) caused an even zinc phosphate paint undercoat that covered all normally inaccessible areas such as the interior of box sections. Apparently there was a time where the temperature of the bath was incorrect causing incomplete coating in places. Over time a lot of the cars involved (over the 1970 - 1972 period) rusted out prematurely, usually over a period of 12 - 18 months.

Also a secondary problem, not associated with the Electrophoresis process. Was where a number of cars over the same period suffered from excessive heat application, which caused the undercoat to peel on the interior of the box sections (such as the sills) that also caused premature rusting. The problems were resolved by 1973, and by 1974 there were further rust prevention measures introduced.

I had a guy in here the other day saying he use to work there and the problem with some cars rusting away within 12 months and the next in line lasting 40 years was that the power was switched off at the end of shift or at night and sometimes a body shell would be submerged over night or all weekend.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Couldn't say, David, I was always halfway home before the power in the plant was switched off!

My 16TS details

Alpine White manual 16TS 1972
Model: R1151
Fabrication Number: 224 409
Diamond plate number 2730209
Engine Number AT 16054423
Previous Vic reg LDY 059 (until 12 July 2006)
Distance: 43,231 km only.
I was able to verify this from original dealer service records. Upholstery etc fit with this. Owned from new by a grandmother and briefly her grandson, before my purchase in 2006
Unregistered but in excellent order. Stored. Will go to club reg when it’s turn arrives

Trak Yellow manual 16TS 1975(?)
Fabrication Number: 376 672
Diamond plate number 2892 722
Engine Number AT 16585139
Previous Vic reg IBK 328
Distance: 93,687 km believed correct
Owned from new by a local elderly gent, before my purchase in ~2000
Unregistered, was in good order but has been forced to live outside for a decade. Very salvageable.

Avocado 16TS 1975
Fabrication Number: 376 688
Diamond plate number 2892 738
Engine Number AT 16585175
Previous Vic reg ICO 367
Distance: 43,735 km, suspect 2nd or 3rd time around
Owned from new by a Melbourne family, before my purchase in ~2000
Unregistered, was in going order but tired, bought as spare for parts for Trak Yellow car. Has been forced to live outside for a decade. Very rusty, not salvageable

Scarlet Red Automatic 16TS 1973
Model: R1154
Fabrication Number: 10954
Diamond plate number 7062654
Engine Number AA 16R9645
Previous Vic reg LSS 505
Distance: 60,675 km, known to be correct
Owned from new by a local elderly gent family known by me, before my acqisition in 2001
Unregistered was in excellent mechanical and interior order, but faded paint (not garaged), has been forced to live outside for a decade. Very salvageable

I finally got round to getting the details of my 16 together!

R16TS Special Manual
Model No: R1151
Fabrication No: 409632
Diamond Plate No: 2940032
Engine No: 8070440111796
Year: 1976
Colour: Deep Flamingo
Distance: Approx 230,000 kms
Any Prev history (if known): Bought new in Perth, was owned by John Waterhouse in Perth and then Max Schier in Shepparton Vic. I purchased the vehicle in August 2013. Vehicle was featured in Australian Classic Car magazine in 2003.
Status: All original, excellent overall condition, on Vic Club Plates

View attachment 50062

Last edited:
Hi Simon,

Good you are back. I never knew that lovely metallic bronze colour was called "Deep Flamingo"!

Do me a favour and change John Waterford to John Waterhouse please. I will try and get a bit more history together when I bump into the right person.

Enjoy the car.

Here are my details of my Renault 16 TS

R16TS

model number 1154 ( was Auto but has been converted to manual )

Fabrication R1154 9643

Diamond. 7061393

Engine 80703113033

Year. 8/ 1972

Colour. Alpine White

Distance 17565 many times over

Any History. Brought over from Adelaide from Perth in 2012. I believe it did belong to a Automobile Club Francais member at one
Time. I bought it last year with the intensional of restoring it to its former glory. It's not licensed at the moment.

Features. Electric front windows rear spoiler on rear tailgate.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 346
R16 memories

Hi all,

Always loved the R16, but never owned one. My father was a technician with PMG / Telecom and would always order one as a hire car whenever he needed one to go and check some of the more remote telephone exchanges in Queensland in the 1970's. he reckoned they were far better on the rough roads than the standard Kingswoods and Falcons in the Avis? hire fleet of the time. One of his passengers on one trip was so impressed he went out and purchased a R16 soon after! :)

The photo is of one of the RCCQ member's nice R16 at a recent track day at Queensland Raceway.

Attachments

• Laps QR R16TS.jpg
    Laps QR R16TS.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 572