Renault 1400 sleeves (used)

Frans

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi All,

I wonder if anybody have some old used 1400 sleeves lying around and willing to part with them. I need to have them re-bored for a new race motor, so it doesn't matter if they have scores or a ridge.

Regards, Frans

As Col has said and they are 76 mm bore.

Frans.

Hi Frans, are you in much of a hurry? Pretty sure I would have a set, but it's not great timing atm for me. Wife is at her home away from home again (hospital). I should be able to have a sniff around the shed on the weekend.

J-man,

That is fine. I'm away next week as well. (Going down to Queenstown to bring the Matra back)

Regards, Frans.

Okay, so Peugeot wouldn't be any good.
Do you think R17 liners would suit? The are probably 77 bore. Not sure outside dimensions but if you're going to machine anyway, I am sure they have enough material.

Okay, so Peugeot wouldn't be any good.
Do you think R17 liners would suit? The are probably 77 bore. Not sure outside dimensions but if you're going to machine anyway, I am sure they have enough material.
Can I take a rain cheque on that one? If I do get the right ones it will save me time. R17 is same as 807 I think and I have machined them to fit but there is a lot of turning work involved.
Frans.

I have three second hand and one brand new one (don't ask) - you are welcome to the three s/h but I would like to recover the costs of the new sleeve - which is about $100.

Can I take a rain cheque on that one? If I do get the right ones it will save me time. R17 is same as 807 I think and I have machined them to fit but there is a lot of turning work involved.
Frans.
Yep. R17 is 807. You need to machine a lot of the fitting register at the base, right? And probably the top and bottom shoulders?

What bore are you chasing?

My foggy memory tells me the difference was in the block seats (they're tapered for the o-rings) not the liners themselves, right?
Yes that is correct.

The M.R. 210 says "The "O" rings are used for sealing only. The liners locate directly on the cylinder block and correct liner protrusion is obtained by close tolerance machining dimensions for the block and liners."

The 807 liners is too long, so they get shortened, I cut the top so that it has a ridge similar to an "o" ring that squeeze into the gasket. The whole length needs thinning, the seat at the bottom I don't care about because they might need some shims for protrusion and I've never used 'o' rings or paper seals in competition engines. Some pics of the work required on 807 liners in Sierra block.
Sleeve2.jpg
Sleeve7.jpg
Sleeve8.jpg
Sleeves16TS.jpg

Frans, I checked this morning and have the 4 old 76mm liners out of Clive that you can have. Some have some very slight cross hatch remaining. The worst one has some bruising/marks from the piece of piston ring land that came adrift as they do, causing the need for rebuild.
I can box them up, but have no idea how to send them to you.
Perhaps pm me how you would like me to send them and where 🤔

J-man.

I sent you a "conversation". I'm not sure if it is the same as PM previously.

Frans, well cleaned O-ringed blocks are just sexy.

Have you got like large print outs of that attached to your shed wall?

I'm a bit jealous! I've never been out of Australia and yet old Clive's piston liners are not only about to fly to New Zealand, on a trip with all expenses paid but they're also going to get to go racing in a hot Renault over there 😳