Ren 10 uni overhaul in Melbourne?

hulot

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
HI All

Does anyone have any suggestions re getting R10 universals done up in Melbourne?

Thanks
rob

Depends what you are trying to achieve. If you just need replacements for stock ones - I have a couple spare - can check whether they are serviceable. If you are wanting a stronger universal for a performance set up - Richard Mann makes them.

Reactions: COL
Sounds like previous owner has already done the left to right swap trick

Hi
IWS Fireblade and Driven.
Thanks for the offer of spare ones Fireblade. I have a couple of spares but I am not sure how good they are. Not looking for high performance just something that will be reliable for (hopefully) a few years driving.
cheers
rob

Hi Rob,

My experience is that the standard universals are quite robust. I don't have a lot of specific experience mainly because I have had very few fail (Others on here may well chime in with differing experiences!). Clean and well lubed uni's have very little play, and while it may be hard to tell a good one, its obvious when you come up against a dodgy one.

Cheers, George

Back when I ran a warm 16TS on a standard R10 box, I sheared off seven sunwheel output drives, snapped two of pins that hold the spider gears in the diff in place, and one sleeve that goes between the spigot and input shafts, but never a universal or axle. The standard unis, even with the big hole in the middle seem fairly tough, although I guess if you try hard enough anything can be broken.

The only thing that will wear/go missing is the roller pin caps that go over the ends of the uni joints - they are available from mecaparts but are a bit pricey at 137Euro.
Just check all the roller pins are all there (they fall our easily) and they are well greased up.

Attachments

• 1627969043350.png
    1627969043350.png
    253 KB · Views: 94
The only thing that will wear/go missing is the roller pin caps that go over the ends of the uni joints - they are available from mecaparts but are a bit pricey at 137Euro.
Just check all the roller pins are all there (they fall our easily) and they are well greased up.
Those are the caps that the trunnions pivot on, not for the universals on the driving axle inside the trunnion tube.

Those are the caps that the trunnions pivot on, not for the universals on the driving axle inside the trunnion tube.
Of course! Sorry for the misleading post. The std ones are fairly robust, different if you are running 130Hp through a strongbox, then you need to speak to Richard Mann 😁

Hi
Thanks for the info; that's a lot of broken bits and perseverance Alan!

All those years ago I had gotten to the point of being able to remove the gearbox, replace the broken bits and refit it in 8 hours. I have had a “big” box in my 16TS powered 4cv for 25 years or so without problem. I have a 5 speed big box to fit to it sometime soon. It didn’t really need a 5 speed, it was just because I can.

My quest for a more powerful 4cv in the seventies only involved fitting a dauphine gordini engine and gearbox. 16 power in a 4cv must be a lot of fun.

My quest for a more powerful 4cv in the seventies only involved fitting a dauphine gordini engine and gearbox. 16 power in a 4cv must be a lot of fun.
In the 70's there was a 16 powered 4CV that used to race at the (long defunct) Mt Ginn dirt circuit in Canberra. It was built and raced by Alf (Noddy) Fripp - who was a Renault mechanic (originally from Corin Motors I think).

It was a potent little beast on that tight circuit. Used to leave the lumbering Holdens and Fords for dead!

Ian.

Many years ago on a chassis dyno the 16 TS motor on Webers in the 4CV had 116Hp at the wheels. Also many years ago with a gentlish start to hopefully avoid breaking yet another R10 box, it ran a flat 13 sec 1/4mile at I think 105mph.

I have only seen 180kph top speed mostly because of instability at these speeds. Given the gearing of the “big” box with 3.77 diff instead of 4.125 top speed I expect top speed to be over 210kph even with the bus like aerodynamics. I suspect wind is getting under the nose and lifting it to a point where there is some bump steer problems give it toe out, and thus induce the instability. There is a radiator and fuel tank in the front to help weight distribution. I would guess it weighs 670kg.

Next step after repainting the 4CV, is to fit fuel injection and the 5 speed big box. I may also then make the effort to develop the handling although it doesn’t handle badly, and I would think much better than a standard 4CV, just not as good as it could be. Just too many machines to work on.

Alan's is quite exciting...... You multiplied the power by about 2X and he's close to 6X I reckon..... Road legally what's more.