Removing tree sap from PV panels

N5GTi6

1000+ Posts
Yep. Those citrus based cleaners are great. I've noticed a few lichen spots starting to take hold on some of my panels. I'm wondering if you could add gelatin or agar agar to any liquid solution to achieve the same effect as the sanitizer gel.

Cheers

Justin

jaahn

1000+ Posts
Yep. Those citrus based cleaners are great. I've noticed a few lichen spots starting to take hold on some of my panels. I'm wondering if you could add gelatin or agar agar to any liquid solution to achieve the same effect as the sanitizer gel.
Cheers Justin
Hi Justin :)
From my experience I would say those "lichen spots" are actually bird shit that has dried out and then goes to that lichen look over time when it rains a bit. We have trees and plenty of birds around. I find a hose off occasionally usually works OK. I have never used anything more than a bit of detergent to clean mine and a broom and not often either.
Jaahn

N5GTi6

1000+ Posts
Looks like lichen, feels like lichen, tastes like........

I'm going to mix up some Sodium polyacrylate with some '30 Seconds Roof Treatment' - Benzal-C12-16-alkyldimethyl, chlorides - and make a Gel version - similar to the Alcohol Gel Hand Sanitizer. I can then spray - possibly paint if I get carried away - over the lichen on the sloping panels PV panels. See how we go....

Cheers

Justin

JoBo

1000+ Posts
Lichen are easy. An old roofer told me years ago to mix Black (actually looks more brown to me) Phenyl 1:3 with water and brush it onto the rooftiles on a stinking hot day. They rain will wash it off over the next few months.
I did that and it worked perfectly - cheap as well and not ruining the gutters.

Last edited: