Removing inner race 306 rear bearing

GRAHAM WALLIS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Has anyone managed to find a puller fine enough to pull the inner race of a 306 rear hub bearing? Very little space because of a round plate sitting behind the bearing.
I have tried a cold chisel on the surface and can get pretty good purchase with a pry bar but no luck so far. Maybe heat with a butane torch?

I have had very good results in tight spots with a dremel if that is feasible in your situation. It is now my first port of call if I need to remove something I don't want to keep. You need a steady hand and a few of the thin cut off discs, but if you put a decent groove through the race, it will eventually split and you don't risk damaging anything.

Heating stuff would be my last resort because I suspect the arms are cast steel, and they don't behave well when heated.

That said, a knife edge with a tough beam bearing puller sounds like it may do the job. Mine is a Repco and works very well. Total Tools have a few sizes available too.

You are going to love the tool shown in the 306 manual. hub bearing.jpeg
Extraire la cage intérieure (5) du roulement à l'aide de l'extracteur [3]
- Si nécessaire, déposer l'entretoise (6).
Impératif : Toute marque de démontage sur le plan d'appui de joint de l'entretoise implique son remplacement.
- Le moyeu roulement est un ensemble indissociable .

Depending on the ID , I've had success with a dyna bolt held with vice grips during tightening.

Sometimes you can wriggle the bearing out. Other times you need to use spacers and washers and use the dyna bolt thread as puller.

When repairing motion picture projectors I always carried a selection of dyna bolts in my tool kit. :wink2:

I have had very good results in tight spots with a dremel if that is feasible in your situation. It is now my first port of call if I need to remove something I don't want to keep. You need a steady hand and a few of the thin cut off discs, but if you put a decent groove through the race, it will eventually split and you don't risk damaging anything.

Heating stuff would be my last resort because I suspect the arms are cast steel, and they don't behave well when heated.

That said, a knife edge with a tough beam bearing puller sounds like it may do the job. Mine is a Repco and works very well. Total Tools have a few sizes available too.

Thanks, I was thinking that was a possibility.

Depending on the ID , I've had success with a dyna bolt held with vice grips during tightening.

Sometimes you can wriggle the bearing out. Other times you need to use spacers and washers and use the dyna bolt thread as puller.

When repairing motion picture projectors I always carried a selection of dyna bolts in my tool kit. :wink2:

Just the inner race, the balls and outer came out with the hub.

Just warm it up with the oxy-acetylene torch. It will slide off easily. Butane isn't good enough. You need to heat the race up quickly.

Last edited:
Just warm it up with the oxy-acetylene torch. It will slide off easily. Butane isn't good enough. You need to heat the race up quickly.

Thanks for letting me know that butane isn't good enough
Got the oxy torch still but couldn't afford the bottles. May try the dremel I think.

Run a quick tack weld on the ring about 10mm long. Should slide off easily like Peter says. :headbang:

Run a quick tack weld on the ring about 10mm long. Should slide off easily like Peter says. :headbang:

No electric welder either, usually get things done elsewhere but the car is on my hoist.

Is the arm off the car?

If so push the stub axle out of the arm with the press.

On the car and I don't like the idea of taking the stub axle in and out, could become loose with the rough roads this car is used on.

Graham, you can borrow my elec welder if it helps.

Grind the inner race with a flap disc or similar in the angle grinder. It will crack well before you get to the axle.

Tried the arc welder, thanks Jeff, but with no luck. In the end the Dremel got it.

That Peugeot tool seasink linked is just a single trick knife edge puller. I have always wanted one and when I got mine I never looked back. Invest in one, you won't regret it. The dremel is fine, but slow and if you can squeeze the puller in, it saves a lot of time. Not to mention you don't always have the luxury of being able to dispose of the offending bearing.

That Peugeot tool seasink linked is just a single trick knife edge puller. I have always wanted one and when I got mine I never looked back. Invest in one, you won't regret it. The dremel is fine, but slow and if you can squeeze the puller in, it saves a lot of time. Not to mention you don't always have the luxury of being able to dispose of the offending bearing.

Yes, that was my original question.