Removing auto gearshift knob - P206

renault8&10

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
The gearshift knob on my daughters 2003 206 Auto just fell apart in my hands. The black plastic outer, leaving just the white plastic inner shape. Obviously I’m going to have to replace it, as it feels a bit soft and fragile. I’ve done a google and YouTube search but they all seem to demo the manual, not the auto. Does the auto knob remove in the same manner - straight up press fit, or does it need the quarter turn some of the manuals have.

I need the car for her to drive tomorrow so don’t want to risk immobilising it today, so any help appreciated from those who have done it on an auto of similar vintage - I’m assuming a lot of the pug autos of the era would be the same?

Many thanks
Kevin

In case it's helpful, here is a diagram from www.catcar.info:

Peugeot 206 shift mech.jpg

On the site, it's possible to specify the exact model you have. I made a guess.

It was surprisingly easy in the end - quarter turn clockwise and it came straight off. The SAAS replacement from autobahn is on but a fraction loose. I didn’t think it even worth while getting a quote from Peugeot for a new one.

Mine didn’t have the plastic piece you see in the diagram above, it has a cut out slot on the stick itself.