Relocating to Canada - take the pug along

Pug4eva

Fellow Frogger
So COVID times have resulted in seriously considering a move to Canada (partner is Canadian) with a secured job there.

Having owned the 206 since new makes it hard to part ways and hence I am looking into taking it along.

Has anyone done anything like this?

One path I am contemplating is getting a carnet with RACV, hence be able to enter and use the car in Canada on VIC plates. Part of the reason for doing so is that there is a chance of a further subsequent move to Europe in a year's time, but I will still be able to register it if we decide to settle in Canada.

On a related note, I heard that flipping RHD to LHD is a fairly straightforward job with the 206 and would entail sourcing a dashboard/airbag/brake-clutch pedals then opening a hole for the steering column (not sure if a new steering rack will be needed). The wiper mechanism and covering plate need to be exchanged. Not sure if the headlights need replacing too. But that's a job I would only do if I am certain will be staying in Canada for more than a couple of years.

Thanks

They will definitely want you to do something about the lights otherwise your car won't be allowed to drive around.
Importing and driving a RHD car in Ontario is possible without changing the headlights. Have come across few forums where the headlights thing isn't enforced. I would assume driving a foreign registered car would be less of a problem

Having owned the 206 since new makes me attached to it. It's a GTI180 with 67k on the odo, well looked after.
Let's do some calculations. Your vehicle may be worth say $6000 to be generous. The freight cost to Canada would be in the order of $4000, then the import duty , taxes, and shipping agents fees another $4000. After that is the actual cost of conversion , say $5000, then you have an orphan (Australian plated ) car that in Canada is worth maybe $3000. You would need to really love this car to want to go to so much bother when there are many more viable alternatives over there. Just my 0.2 cents worth.

And it will rust away in no time with salt they put on roads.

It is difficult to disagree with the above comments.

With great respect, Mr Pug4eva, you are thinking of changing your whole life. Country, accent, currency, friends, phone plan, health insurance, job, taxation and investment structure, clothing, warm climate where it may hit plus 35 to one where it does hit minus 35.

And you want to go to the huge expense and complication of taking your car? I would have thought that parting with a 206 would be the least of your considerations.

I am sure you will find Canada has some RHD rule like the 25 or 30 [whatever it is now] year rule here, about importing & registering LHD vehicles.
Here it is:
It is practically impossible to import a new right hand drive car. The only ones allowed in are old. If a car is older than 15 years, it is exempt from new safety regulations that ban right hand drive. As a result, the only right hand drive cars you see are old used cars.

I am sure you will find Canada has some RHD rule like the 25 or 30 [whatever it is now] year rule here, about importing & registering LHD vehicles.
I did see a rhd Mitsubishi evo in Vancouver in June 2019 when we were there, not sure of year model at a guess min 10 years old, local rego plate from what I recall. ....jim

Yes, speak to Api. He let me drive his RHD 205 SI a couple of months back here where we live, very nice!

Not all of Canada gets super cold. Where I live it rarely goes below 0°C and although they do put salt brine on the roads in winter when it's below 3 or 4, you would not have to use the 206.

If the car is here for anyone other than a tourist it must be officially imported. To the best of my knowledge you cannot drive on foreign plates for longer than a tourist is entitled to stay here as a visitor (3-6 months). To be imported it normally has to be 15+ years from the date of production, although exceptions could be made for "settler's effects".

Once in Canada, using BC as the example, the car has to clear customs and then get an inspection. The inspection in BC is a private affair at a provincially licensed facility and so choose wisely and nothing will need to be done to the car. Choose unwisely and you might have to mount side marker lights and have daytime running lights wired up.

Ask Api where his 205 SI was inspected. Once the car has cleared inspection you can do whatever you want with it - there are no technical inspections required for cars registered here.

RHD is fine here and I would not waste a cent converting to LHD. But I would definitely recommend getting right hand traffic headlights before the inspection, and also because they will be much safer and more useful at night. Back to the wild west theme, lots of trucks and some cars have HID bulbs fitted to reflector headlights that shoot light all over hell's half acre and the cops are boneheads about technical things and do nothing about it, but it's better to not be part of a problem like that.

Wipers on 206s are LHD pattern on RHD cars any way. You wouldn't have to change them, whether you convert or not.
If you do take your Pug with you, do change the headlights. A courtesy to other drivers even if you could sneak it past an inspection as is.

Thank you all for the comments.

Some clarifications:
1- My partner's work is covering the relocation (includes a generous allowance for freight of belongings)
2- I have no friends (particularly since COVID hit), no health insurance, no job. Moving is rather easy, and taking the car isn't that difficult.
3- I could source a wrecked RC from Germany and have the required parts shipped to Canada.

Complicating the matters is the effects of new quarantine rules in Canada on flight availability