REGISTRATION PROBLEM

it dousnt have a steering wheel, just two levers connected to left and right brake drums on rears ,skid steer ,like a bob kat

The saga cotinues. I rang VIC ROADS this morning to inquire if there were was any news on sorting out rego problem, they informed me that they had sent my a E-MAIL outlining the course of action that i needed to take to resolve this issue. I said i have recieved no such communication . The E-MAIL was sent again, this time successfully, the letter informs to present the car at a Police Station for inspection and to bring any relevant paperwork. The Police would inspect the car, which if it was deemed to need further inspection it would be retained by the Police and sent to their Forensic Laboratory for further inspection. On presentation of said letter the Police inform me that they have no idea what that means. So the policeman rings VIC ROADS to clarify what VIC ROADS wants only to be told by VIC ROADS i don't know. So obviously nobody knows what to do so they're just hand balling the matter to each other.

On that basis, could you not have asked the cop to declare all was good and registration can proceed!

Surely, it’s just an identity check, confirm correct VIN and ensure it is not stolen or rebirthed.

The saga cotinues. I rang VIC ROADS this morning to inquire if there were was any news on sorting out rego problem, they informed me that they had sent my a E-MAIL outlining the course of action that i needed to take to resolve this issue. I said i have recieved no such communication . The E-MAIL was sent again, this time successfully, the letter informs to present the car at a Police Station for inspection and to bring any relevant paperwork. The Police would inspect the car, which if it was deemed to need further inspection it would be retained by the Police and sent to their Forensic Laboratory for further inspection. On presentation of said letter the Police inform me that they have no idea what that means. So the policeman rings VIC ROADS to clarify what VIC ROADS wants only to be told by VIC ROADS i don't know. So obviously nobody knows what to do so they're just hand balling the matter to each other.
I haven't lived in Victoria for many years but when I did the police had the authority to issue new ID numbers after verifying the car wasn't stolen.
Every second slant six Valiant had a new engine number (provided by the the local copper) stamped on the block where the water pump bolts on. For whatever reason the factory stamped the engine number on the distributor mounting pad and most times the number was partially obscured by the distributor and it's locking plate. Early Valiant V8s weren't much better with the number stamped up underneath the side of Vee next to the the engine mount. If you didn't know what it was there you would be hard pressed to find it, as it could only be viewed from below.
I'd have broke out my letter/number punches by now.😉

That's so bloody annoying... Let me know if I can help in any way as a previous owner of it... Between me and Bryce you can have stat decs covering the last 15 years of its life stating it isn't stolen!!!

That's so bloody annoying... Let me know if I can help in any way as a previous owner of it... Between me and Bryce you can have stat decs covering the last 15 years of its life stating it isn't stolen!!!
Thanks Haakon,but i am still wondering at this time if i should just give up and push it of a cliff.

Thanks Haakon,but i am still wondering at this time if i should just give up and push it of a cliff.
No!!!! At least let me come and get it first ;)

Seriously though, it’s just idiots. It’s been legitimately registered for 25 years, the y can’t suddenly now decide it’s illegal!!

I went through the same thing, I guess back in those days they were a bit more relaxed about things. Surely it just takes an inspection at the Vic roads office. They can run “both” VINs and neither will come up stolen. I can give a stat dec saying I had the same problem and it’s been registered since then ok. Or will the police do a stolen vehicle check for you to give to Vicroads?

It’s just one digit different I think yes? I mean surely that’s clearly a mistake. The compliance is clearly original and it’s not as if it’s a high value car that anyone is going to rebirthing or anything silly like that. The hardest part is finding someone in the system willing to exercise a bit of common sense…

I’d totally forgotten about it… I guess the roadworthy guy when I got the certificate to give to Bryce didn’t notice the difference.

No!!!! At least let me come and get it first ;)

Seriously though, it’s just idiots. It’s been legitimately registered for 25 years, the y can’t suddenly now decide it’s illegal!!
I had a similar problem with a Perrenti kit car.
One owner, 25 year continual history of QLD rego, de-registered at purchase due to club rego.
Had no ID plates, no mod/build plate (as they weren't in use back when it was built). Only had an engine number and a body number engraved into the fibreglass. RW guy refused to RW it as "it doesn't have a plate".
Phone calls to QLD Tansport engineer was even worse with him saying it would need to pass torsion, beam, brake testing etc, etc then blue plated before it could be registered in QLD.
There was a lot more said, (by me) but it's not fit for publication.😉

I started Googling found a QLD Transport document that actually said mod/build plates weren't required at the time it was first registered and therefore were not needed for RW.
Booked in with a different RW guy, he started to say "its got no plate", I whipped out the document I printed off, showed him the relevant rules, and he said "oh OK" and wrote out the RWC.
Took the RWC and an old rego slip to Transport, paid me money and left.

Don't lose heart 27of85, there's some f#ckheads
out of there.👍

I have already had an inspection at VIC ROADS, and they referred me to the police who pretty much referred me back to VIC ROADS. part of the problem appears to be that the are staffed by Counter Monkeys and not by people that actually know anything!

part of the problem appears to be that the are staffed by Counter Monkeys and not by people that actually know anything!
Unfortunately the above statement is ALL of the problem.

You just need a RWC with a VIN on it that matches the old rego slip/Vicroads records right?

Just Google and print off a document with a VicRoads letterhead, scan it and delete the content. Type up a very official sounding spiel regarding how;

"The department is aware of the compliance plate being erroneously stamped"
"Ivestigations revealed the vehicle details have been incorrect since date of first registration"
"Federal ADR legislation does not have provision for the re-issuing of a compliance plate".
"Department authorises licenced testing station to record the VIN number stamped on the compliance plate as the number to be used on the RWC for purposes of registration".
"The VIN number on the compliance plate matches the VIN number recorded on our data base".
"Blah blah blah blah blah blah".

Call a different RW guy, if he notices it's a different VIN too, go " oh wait a minute I've got a letter from VicRoads". Get your RWC and shred "the letter".

Take the RW and old rego slip to a different Vicroads office and register the car. Job done.

I heard a rumour this will work.🙈🙉🙊

Alternately if you want to try and do it the "right" way ring VicRoads and ask if you can speak to the engineer's or compliance department, they may be of more help than the counter monkeys.
Maybe call a VASS for their opinion?🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately i think i have to do it properly, as both the police and VIC ROADS now have a copy of the paper work.
I know a VASS engineer reasonably well i am going to ring him on Monday and see if he can suggest a course of action to resolve this problem.

Unfortunately we live in a world where no-one wants responsibility for anything.

When your provide a piece of paper that effectively "let's them off the hook" on a decision, it's suddenly becomes problem solved!

Let's hope the VASS can help you.🤞

I spoke to the VASS engineer today, he is going to take pictures of the relevant plates and write a report to VIC ROADS.Hopefully that will solve the problem.

That sounds sensible. At the risk of labouring the point, let the VASS dude know previous owners are willing to weigh in if that helps.

Need a plate no worries :headbanger"

plate.jpg

The saga continues, When i went to the cop shop the Constable i spoke to said that he would look in to the matter and get back to me. I of course thought that would as usual never happen. To his credit he did get back to me , and he asked me to present my car again at the cop shop.Where he took more photo's of the car . The photo's were sent to the car theft department. The constable rang me almost 2 weeks later to inform me that they were satisfied the car was not stolen, The police have informed VIC ROADS of this fact and that they will be in touch with me to tell me this startling fact and hopefully tell me how to proceed with the permit process.

The saga continues, When i went to the cop shop the Constable i spoke to said that he would look in to the matter and get back to me. I of course thought that would as usual never happen. To his credit he did get back to me , and he asked me to present my car again at the cop shop.Where he took more photo's of the car . The photo's were sent to the car theft department. The constable rang me almost 2 weeks later to inform me that they were satisfied the car was not stolen, The police have informed VIC ROADS of this fact and that they will be in touch with me to tell me this startling fact and hopefully tell me how to proceed with the permit process.

Its progress I suppose!

Eureka its finally sorted and is now on club plates. I rang VIC ROADS and said that the Police had rung me three weeks ago and informed me that the car was not stolen, and was okay to be re registered, whats going on . i gave them the names of the persons that i had been dealing with, and was told that they didn't work at this branch any more. Automatically i am thinking here we go again. Fortunately they gave me the number where they now worked. I rang the person that i had been dealing with to find out what was going on They informed that a new member has been appointed to my case. and i would have to make an appointment for another vehicle inspection (i think that would make it 4 inspections) The first available inspection was on the 4th of Jan, by this stage i am getting close to losing it ! oh and my roadworthy was no longer valid. I informed them that i didn't think that i should be required to get another roadworthy as it was not my fault that it had expired. T