regional tyre blogger

4cvgordini

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
One of the difficulties with being in oz & not Europe is that we are sold tyres which are not sold there & thus do not feature in European tyre tests. Hence the database for rational choice is thinner than I like.

Malaysia (which is also sold these regional tyres) has a tyre blogger who, despite deficiencies, is worth a read in partial remediation of this paucity of information.

Hi.

Had a peruse of the site.

It's a good start that the blogger claims he is a mechanical engineer, hopefully much of the information is curated to be more objective than subjective.

I found this an interesting statistic. I was surprised at how relatively smaller Pirelli & Hankook were to the others.

1651616509843.png

Hi.

Had a peruse of the site.

It's a good start that the blogger claims he is a mechanical engineer, hopefully much of the information is curated to be more objective than subjective.

I found this an interesting statistic. I was surprised at how relatively smaller Pirelli & Hankook were to the others.

The biggest five manufacturers are all of European or American extraction (Bridgestone is Dunlop). How did Pirelli get so far down the list?

Very interesting stuff. Yes, Yokohama further down than expected, and I noted in the comparison site listed in a previous thread, did not include Yokohama - it was a UK site I think.
Reason I was looking was that I have contemplated Yokohama Geolandar GD501 may be a good replacement for the tyres on my 2019 Koleos, size 225/60/18. Looking for safe but comfortable ride.

However (and nothing to do with the Koleos) I recently came across a new (to me) tyre name, the sponsor of the recent Bathurst 6 hour, MRF Tyres. I don't know how many cars were running their tyres, maybe it was everyone, maybe not.
Anyway, I researched them a little and surprised to find it is an Indian company, Madras Rubber Factory, been around for years, seem to do a lot of agricultural/tractor tyres, but to find they are quite big in racing tyres was an eye-opener.
I think they would be just off the bottom of this list of the top 8 tyre companies, but a revelation all the same.

Reason I was looking was that I have contemplated Yokohama Geolandar GD501 may be a good replacement for the tyres on my 2019 Koleos, size 225/60/18. Looking for safe but comfortable ride.
Hi Fordman.

For what it is worth. I had Yokohama Geolandar (not sure what model) tyres as original fitment on a Toyota RAV4, 2.2D, upon suggestion from 4cvg I replaced them with Goodyear Efficient Grip, (non SUV) and they were much better. The vehicle is still in our family and the Efficient Grip are still going strong. But that selection was several years ago now, so there will be new tyres to select from thesedays.

Cheers.

In 225/60-18, I have a short list of 2 (each around 240-250 for one tyre):

- Dunlop FM800

- Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance (SUV)
(The EG (non-performance) is also available in an SUV variant but it is an older design)

Each is comfortable & good in the wet but I'd prefer the FM800 on the grounds that Dunlop do fairly frequent "4 for the price of 3" deals (one has just finished).

I recommend dodging any Geolandar road-biased tyres on grounds of wet grip (& overly "soggy" steering response).

I had looked at FM800 but they are not listed as available in 225/60/18.
Quite a few other options though.

??? Jax still list them. (My own choice would be Conti's PremiumContact 6 but the FM800 would be more comfortable, especially as the PC6 is an XL version.)

I do note, though, that Dunlop no longer list that size. But, even if discontinued, you might findstock still available but stock age would be a topis of conversation with the retailer.

Another possibility is Michelin's PS4 SUV (non XL).

Given your priorities, the GY EGP is still probably the best bet then.

Last edited:
Another thought is Michelin's newish Primacy SUV+ (non-XL). A regional tyre but, according to our blogger, its predecessor is a good one & the "+" is seemingly with Michelin's excellent "Ever Grip" innovation.

Very interesting stuff. Yes, Yokohama further down than expected, and I noted in the comparison site listed in a previous thread, did not include Yokohama - it was a UK site I think.

However (and nothing to do with the Koleos) I recently came across a new (to me) tyre name, the sponsor of the recent Bathurst 6 hour, MRF Tyres. I don't know how many cars were running their tyres, maybe it was everyone, maybe not.
Anyway, I researched them a little and surprised to find it is an Indian company, Madras Rubber Factory, been around for years, seem to do a lot of agricultural/tractor tyres, but to find they are quite big in racing tyres was an eye-opener.
I think they would be just off the bottom of this list of the top 8 tyre companies, but a revelation all the same.
My 2008 Koleos came with Hankook Dynapro 225/60 R17. I have now replaced with the same type twice. They are marked M&S but look like a normal road tyre. They are quiet, comfortable if not overinflated, hang on well on the bitumen and are surprisingly good in both mud and snow.

In 225/60-18, I have a short list of 2 (each around 240-250 for one tyre):

- Dunlop FM800

- Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance (SUV)
(The EG (non-performance) is also available in an SUV variant but it is an older design)

Each is comfortable & good in the wet but I'd prefer the FM800 on the grounds that Dunlop do fairly frequent "4 for the price of 3" deals (one has just finished).

I recommend dodging any Geolandar road-biased tyres on grounds of wet grip (& overly "soggy" steering response).

??? Jax still list them. (My own choice would be Conti's PremiumContact 6 but the FM800 would be more comfortable, especially as the PC6 is an XL version.)

I do note, though, that Dunlop no longer list that size. But, even if discontinued, you might findstock still available but stock age would be a topis of conversation with the retailer.

Another possibility is Michelin's PS4 SUV (non XL).

Given your priorities, the GY EGP is still probably the best bet then.

Further to this helpful information, and generally shopping around, I have just had 4 x Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance SUV fitted to the Koleos. I found that the "good" tyres for this 18" size were all over $300 and up to $400. Bob Janes have the Goodyears at $247 each, I got a similar price from my very local Goodyear store, and so far they feel quiet and fairy smooth on the road. Standard price at Beaurepaires (main Goodyear dealers) was $358.
I probably would not have looked at Goodyear due to previous recent experience with their Fortera tyres, so thanks to this thread for expanding my shopping list from Conti, Michelin and Yokohama, price was a big factor also.
Cheers.