Reconversion from Weber to Solex

Hi all,

Many years ago, when I considered myself a bit of a Boy Racer, I had my 504’s Solex carby replaced with a Weber. This included a change of the air filter type, form oil bath to a foam one.
More recently, the foam has started to disintegrate, leaving lots tiny foam pieces in my carby (not surprising given that the filter is about 25 years old).
Now, a through clean will be required, and given that the carby will need to come off, I figured I would treat it to a rebuild.

So the two questions that comes to mind are:

Should I go back to the oil bath filter to prevent this happening again and;

Should I refit the Solex, for originality.

Is there really that much performance gain achieved from these two modifications?

0df7fc46564a705af22cb9f3969a26ff.jpg

19e22af992fc217b18bcc97e21bfa178.jpg
Hi there, newby here. I have one of these on my 505 wagon powered by XN1. Do you know the Solex model ID for these. I've struggled to find much if anything online. Cheers. PS it was put on to replace a problematic auto choke model.

Hi there, newby here. I have one of these on my 505 wagon powered by XN1. Do you know the Solex model ID for these. I've struggled to find much if anything online. Cheers. PS it was put on to replace a problematic auto choke model.
Have since idendentified it as a 32 35 SEIEA

I believe the Solex double barrel carburetor you attached the picture above is one of the easiest carburetor to tune and service. It looks similar to the Solex 32-35 MIMSA. Mine never gave me headache back then, even though it was very old, compared to the single barrel Solex Carburetor.

I wish I could find a new original Solex 32-35 MIMSA to buy for my new XN1A project, instead of the Solex 34-34 Z1 I have gotten already. Will still use the 34-34 Z1, if the 32-35 MIMSA doesn't pop up.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.
The MIMSA is available new at Der Franzose. I just paid $600 AU which is what it would cost to have one rebuilt here. This seems to be a manual choke, simplified version of the TMIMA? The early one needs a little bit of fiddling to fit on a square port manifold and would still be a 50 year old carby, so thought I would try the MIMSA.