Rear drum brakes

Renault17

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

just spent a very frustrating 2 hrs on the rear drum brakes on my R17. I have lubed everything with some of that antiseize stuff as Stuey suggested as the handbrake action was always pretty terrible.

However as soon as the drum is put back on the same thing as before happens- on the left hand rear the drum binds (sometimes!) when the wheel is spun backwards. Forward it is fine- there has never been a problem. At times it has been like the handbrake is on on that side when reversing. Upon dismantling I have found a spring that holds the 'quote from Haynes manual' shoe strut with the tension spring- this was broken, is there any chance that this is the problem?

I figure that the lack of a tension spring is allowing the 'shoe strut' to move and the shoe is touching the drum- occassionally.

I am buggered if I can think of anything else- now all I have to do is get another spring- yeah right- anyone know which other reno models shared these rear drum brakes?

Cheers Ben :mad:

Ben, Caravelle sold me an original full set of rear brake springs (Bendix) a year ago so they shouldn't be too hard to get.

Stuey

Hi Stuey,

how much did they charge for the complete set of springs? Did you change the whole lot - I think there are about 5 from memory- did you then have to replace the springs on the other side too- i.e causes a brake imbalance otherwise?

Cheers Ben

Ps I got the original underbonnet stickers remanufactured by a local signwriting company. If you (or anyone) likes I can scan them and put them on the bulletin board..... Probably onyl worth it if you are going the original route..

Ben, looked it up in their catalogue - it is currently $15. This is for the 12 though - they only list their faster moving parts in the catalogue.

I replaced all the springs when I had a brake pulling problem - which turned out to be the front sliding calipers siezing on their slides. BTW that copper grease is good for this, too ! Never had a problem since.

As for the stickers - I'd be interested in seeing them at least - how much were they to get made?

Stuey

Hi Ben,

I've got a set of new Bendix springs/clips for the rear drums of a 15/17/12 Wagon. Let us know the oval plate number and I'll check if they are suitable for your car. Willing to do a swap for NZ Renault brochures new/old etc to say the $15 above mentioned value? How does that sound?

Simon

Hey Simon,

sounds good, what sort of brochures are you talking about? The only things I have are some 17 manuals and these stickers that I have had reproduced. The stickers cost me about $20 each (NZ$), I am happy to scan them and e-mail them for nothing- it's the vinyl stickers that cost the money!

I am about to get hold of a spare parts manual for 17's from a dealer in the next few weeks, there may be something else valuable along with that..... ;)

Anything else (smallish- I am thinking about postage here) that you are after from 12's 17's or 18's? - between me and my brother we have got a fair stack of bits and pieces......

Cheers Ben

OK, before we get too excited.

The spring set I have is for a 15/17 with manually adjusted rear drums (Part no 7701 004 644). This is not the same as the set for the self adjusting rear drums, and they appear are quite different as well so they won't interchange. Back to square one I guess, does your car have manually adjusted drums?

Simon

PS. If you are visting the dealer for spare parts books see in there is a Derniere Edition (final edition) R1135 parts book. I'll be happy to buy it. The spare parts books really are quite useful!

Well,

damn and bugger! Yes they are the self adjusting ones, I'll try the parts guys over here and see what they reckon. As for the spare parts manuals- I'll let you know as soon as I get hold of the one for the 17. I get the feeling there may be some more come available here shortly.

Cheers Ben

Howdy again, Ben.

My car is a R12 Wagon, so from what Simon said in his first post, it appears that the 17/18/12W have the same rear brakes. Mine are self adjusting, so the price (and availability!) from Caravelle still applies. I assume they would've moved to self adjusting across the board at about the same time. If you do order, ask them to whack a catalogue/price list in the post as well - it's free. BTW I've never gotten the wrong parts from them - they're great at knowing when things changed etc.

(While we're on the rear brakes, have you ever comtemplated or heard of anyone lightening the rear drum? They're a hell of a weight and would add a lot to unsprung weight. I reckon if you're tweaking your suspension (like you have) getting 'cooling' grooves machined in the outer circumference would be a good tweak to lighten them and aid cooling, as long as you don't go too deep. The wheel would have a much better chance of following the road, especially where it's bumpy, and the grooves would maintain rigidity. Just a thought.)

Stuey

Hey Stuey,

sound like an interesting idea- only problem is I have just painted them up to look all nice! The better way to go would be to use the entire rear axle from an 82 onwards turbo fuego or r18. We have just wrecked one and it's donating it's fully reco'ed rear end to my 18 'rally car' (i.e too rough to call a road car anymore).

The axles on the 17 and 18 are exactly the same width ( I have measured them), only problem if I use it is I'd have to throw away those 15" superlites and I've kinda grown attached to those!! (- going from 3 stud to 4 stud hubs....)

Thanks for the tip though, I'll run it past the engineer friend of mine who is helping me with all this stuff.

Oh another thing- what is the web address for Caravelle- I know I have come across it in the past but can't place it now and searches just turn up b-y stupid answers!! HELP........?! :confused:

seeya Ben

Ben, yeah the only reason I mentioned it is that on mine, at least, the drum is about 10mm thick at and weighs about 10-12 kg I reckon ! First thin I thought of was machining a 5mm square set of grooves 5mm deep to reduce weight, if I was to modify the car to that extent. I dream a lot but don't do much at the moment (got two small kids...)

I don't know Caravelle's web address, but from memory there isn't much on their site anyway. I usually order by phone - VERY reliable and efficient. (03) 9890 9061.

Cheers

Stuey

Hi,
I have tried to source those handbrake springs over here but no luck, they tell me $70 (at least) and several weeks to come over from France! I tried to do a bodge job and swap the handbrake springs from an 18 rear axle setup that I had lying around but it made no difference (bugger!) although I did find something interesting- the 4 stud (100mm PCD) hub from the 18 rear drum fits straight onto the 17 hub- hey presto!!- instant 4 stud hubs that are easier to get nice wheels for!

Altho' for the front it would require the hubs, calipers etc from the 18- probably easier to change the whole lot over - a-arms etc. :D

Anyway, back to the brake springs thing- I'll have to try Ken at Caravelle- you haven't got an e-mail address have you Stuey? It's just a lot easier to send an e-mail than phone at times...:roll eyes:

Cheers Ben

Yep. Sorry, Ben, forgot about the distance thing when I recommended you phone Caravelle.

Email is caravelle@blaze.net.au

Cheers

Stuey