Rear Discs for the S1 205 GTI

Le Jim

Fellow Frogger
What's involved in converting my '87 205 GTI's rear end from drums to discs?

I have replaced my rear drums with the rear disc set up. The discs fit into the 14" wheels, so there is no problem there. Are you having the whole trailing arm replaced? If so, this all fits in the same. I think the only question is the master cylinder. When i had the disc rear end put on i shortly afterwards had the master cylinder replaced. I think this was due to the old one being faulty rather than the new rear end, but i am not sure. The same mechanic did both jobs. The brakes work fine. Does anyone know whether a new master cylinder is necessary?

I have replaced my rear drums with the rear disc set up. The discs fit into the 14" wheels, so there is no problem there. Are you having the whole trailing arm replaced? If so, this all fits in the same. I think the only question is the master cylinder. When i had the disc rear end put on i shortly afterwards had the master cylinder replaced. I think this was due to the old one being faulty rather than the new rear end, but i am not sure. The same mechanic did both jobs. The brakes work fine. Does anyone know whether a new master cylinder is necessary?

I'm going to replace my rear drums with discs shortly. Replacing the whole arm is not nessesary you can get away changing the stub axle for a longer disc one. I'll be putting a 306 setup on (same disc & calliper/pad size). These are more easy to source locally as all the late model cars have the same rear brake setup.

The issue with the master cyclinder is: S1 205's have 3 outlets 2 for the fronts and one for the rear. S2 has 4 outlets with 2 for the rear (a dedicated line per wheel). Apparently the master doesn't have to be changed and a single line will suffice for the rear, but I don't know what effect this has on pedal travel/feel. If your patent I'll be writing this change over up & posting it on torquesteer.net though I don't know exactly when.

Guys, what's involved in terms of rough cost (parts and labour) for conversion of a 205 rear drum arrangement to discs?

its not so much the$ but its a lot of stuffing around for not much benefit unless of course your going just for the looks/pose value. the majority of a cars braking is done on the front [80%] so the best thing to do is upgrade the FRONT brakes. 306 gti-6 is def the way to go or maybe dba. only my 2 cents worth tho!