Really good hand cleaner recommendation - 'Reinol'.

A PS - we used it for greasy hands, but Mother used it to scrub the pine kitchen table and the veranda floor - something else lost in the past. Perhaps the Navy still uses it.

Bucks night black balling or terrors missed..1960's style

Pearson's made it - it looked like a brick in a pink paper wrapper. Solvol is the soft-skinned wimps' version.

In my teen years the sandsoap clean you mentioned was preceded by a boot blacking. Reserved for the truly objectionable.

It wouldn't happen today.

In my time, the bootblacking was somewhat rumoured as a traditional bucks night initiation to embarrass the groom as he tried to explain the black balls on his wedding night. Whatever, that didn't happen on my bucks night out, much to my relief, perhaps it was just a threat to hold in the back of the mind,:wink2:

Worst I got was tipped up and held by my ankles and confetti poured down the trouser legs and as it was 104 degree f hot summer day in December, the confetti stuck to everything and after releasing most of its colouring it then redistributed itself to every nook and cranny in the Morris minor we drove on our honeymoon. (found bits everywhere for years later) and we still have the car parked in the back yard.

Even after restoration there is faded confetti in that car. Oh and I used Fertan to kill rust when restoring the Morrie Minor so it could be driven by my daughter as her first car.

Result of course was a multi coloured spotted me,:eek: when I undressed that night and the shower wouldn't shift the dye spots, they had to wear off.:roflmao: I wasn't going to try sand soap......:rolleyes:

Ken:)

I get my stash off eBay

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I have never seen Reinol or sand soap in Bunnings. Here you can get Reinol from major tool suppliers like Blackwoods, and from some of the commercial cleaners' suppliers.

My son's workshop has it delivered by the rep Shane, so I can't help you with anything other than what can be Googled, or eBay. I reckon they could do well if they were picked up by Bunnos or Supercheap to establish their name here (it's South African I think).

Hi,

I contacted them via there website (see entry #6). The Queensland agency is based on the Gold Coast. They contacted me the next day. The agent will deliver the product to my house. Free delivery! Delivery is usually a day or two after making a direct deposit into their account.

Being slack, I've missed a delivery before Christmas.

It is $33 a cartridge and allegedly has a couple of hundred washes per unit. The agent claims an amount the size of you finger nail is all you require.

When it arrives I'll post my thoughts. It has to be better then stinging washing powder.

Cheers.

Dano

Last edited:
Excellent Dano. I use more than that, though. About a 20c piece size, rub it all over without water and rub it in, then a tiny amount of water and more rubbing on stains, then rinse. It has the texture of abrasive firm mousse.

The Reinol, was delivered about a week ago.

I've used it a few times now and it is a great product. As the agent said " a fingernail size, rub you hands together and add some water" It does work and my son-in-law who runs a panel shop, has asked for the contact details. He likes it as well.

Yeah, there is pumice in it, but lathers up with a touch of water. Certainly not hard on the hands.

For what it is worth, I would recommend it to anyone...

Cheers,

Dano

My experience similar - ordered from site, guy contacted me to clarify and sort out payment and it was delivered within a week

I got the wall dispenser, which works well and which comes with all necessary fitments. Drill two holes in masonry, screw in, job done

All very painless and the product is the best cleaner I've had so far for both garage and garden muck

Thanks for the tip

Andrew

does anyone know if any of the major places sell this ( eg: total tools/bunnings ).

OK, obviously you guys have not come across CHEMTOOLS - 'HEAVY DUTY GRIT HAND CLEANER.
Magic stuff just like Reinol.

Discovered it a few years back and buy it by the gallon now (jesting).

John

A couple of days ago i changed the starter on my wifes 307 hdi ,used gloves i had baught at supercheap, ,something i would not have entertained in the past ,apart from getting caught up in hose clamps etc ,they allowed me to get a couple of nuts by feel ,which i thought would be problem ,finished the job pealed them off washed hands with liquid soap ,no scrubbing ,no crap under my nails ,although i found myself the next day ,with grease all over my hand ,forgot about the cloves ,old habits die hard ,im also finding that my skin is not as tough as it used to be ,gloves gave some protection against cuts and nix ,pugs ps have used sworfega at work in the past but at home, laundry detergent ,effective although it gives your skin some curry

Wow. Reinol service is superb. I have my cleaner and boy it works well. I lashed out and bought the dispenser, which you can operate by elbow for one serve of cleaner. Friendly home delivery.

Highly recommended. I'm presuming now I'm finally organised like this I'll have no dirty hands work for some time, like the effect that carrying an umbrella has in keeping rain away.....

Wow. Reinol service is superb. I have my cleaner and boy it works well. I lashed out and bought the dispenser, which you can operate by elbow for one serve of cleaner. Friendly home delivery.

Highly recommended. I'm presuming now I'm finally organised like this I'll have no dirty hands work for some time, like the effect that carrying an umbrella has in keeping rain away.....

I’m starting to regret not purchasing the dispenser with my order.
Ah well, next time..

Also get a box of the nitrile protective gloves.
One step ahead is to not get dirty.
The more you wash your ha ds the less oil is left and darn the dirtier they get as the oil in your skin dries out.
Jiff works a treat as well as wd40

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Agree about nitrile gloves, although they are sweaty and a little fragile. These are a habit acquired after only about 50 years ( despite being well acculturated to rubber gloves in my other life ), but a good one. Does deal with the issue of having to pretend to be respectable for the rest of the week with deeply ingrained grease and dirt on the paws.

Another tip is that Blackwoods sell slightly tougher, woven backed gloves with neoprene fronts which are a) tougher and b) less sweaty. They give good feel when scrabbling around down/up a dark hole and give good protection, while breathing well, so it is no great trauma wearing them for hours.

They are about $5.00 a pair and Blackwoods can get them out in a couple of days

On Blackwoods website

they are : GLOVES ECO ULTRATECH PRO W9620P WB/PU M

Come in medium and XL

Best Wishes

Andrew

Also get a box of the nitrile protective gloves.
One step ahead is to not get dirty.
The more you wash your ha ds the less oil is left and darn the dirtier they get as the oil in your skin dries out.
Jiff works a treat as well as wd40

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thanks Andrew. I'd expect you'd know all too well about clean hands! :)

Must go to Blackwoods next time I'm in the area - I struggle a bit with nitrile gloves.

The cleaner in this thread is really good. It's dry-ish and stiff but rubbed in the hands come out squeaky clean with a bit of water. Very impressive. I love having a lever-action hand dispenser on the wall.

Cheers

The only issue with gloves is (in my 20 odd years in the trade) when you get a slice that nice sweaty hand opens up like nothings business. Good for safe dirty stuff though.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

My glove use is generally of the "bend over, this might hurt a bit" type

Interesting that it's taken me so long to translate the habit to cars

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I'd expect you'd know all too well about clean hands! :)

Must go to Blackwoods next time I'm in the area - I struggle a bit with nitrile gloves.

The cleaner in this thread is really good. It's dry-ish and stiff but rubbed in the hands come out squeaky clean with a bit of water. Very impressive. I love having a lever-action hand dispenser on the wall.

Cheers