Really good hand cleaner recommendation - 'Reinol'.

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

My son has just started in a marine engine workshop and brought home some of their hand cleaner - what a revelation! This stuff called Reinol is just brilliant. A pleasant smelling slightly abrasive white paste, it removes everything I can throw at it and washes off really easily in water, unlike many hand cleaners which leave a slimy residue or hydrocarbon smell. This washes off leaving your hands like they were never dirty and you'd never used hand cleaner. It's the best I've used for sure.

For example, I've never been able to remove the tannin staining from using Fertan rust treatment, so used to go to work on Monday with black stained hands. This takes it straight off, completely and quickly. And if your hands are cut, it doesn't hurt them either.

Very highly recommended, but the only issue is that it's a bit hard to get but it is out there. If you can find it, try it!

Cheers

Stuey

100% love that stuff only one shop I ever worked in had it but always have it at home you can get it off eBay one tub will last years

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I guess you just got him sacked thou

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Victron at Wetherill park distribute it in Sydney. $38 per pack.

Nah, I'm friendly with the boss and he had permission! He kept telling me how good it was so the boss gave him a clean Castrol grease tub full to take home.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

My son has just started in a marine engine workshop and brought home some of their hand cleaner - what a revelation! This stuff called Reinol is just brilliant. A pleasant smelling slightly abrasive white paste, it removes everything I can throw at it and washes off really easily in water, unlike many hand cleaners which leave a slimy residue or hydrocarbon smell. This washes off leaving your hands like they were never dirty and you'd never used hand cleaner. It's the best I've used for sure.

For example, I've never been able to remove the tannin staining from using Fertan rust treatment, so used to go to work on Monday with black stained hands. This takes it straight off, completely and quickly. And if your hands are cut, it doesn't hurt them either.

Very highly recommended, but the only issue is that it's a bit hard to get but it is out there. If you can find it, try it!

Cheers

Stuey

That stirs some memories especially with the original FERTAN, can't seem to get that strength of product now. Looks like I need an investment in a large tub of Reinol to keep in the garage.

Any Melbourne suppliers known and pricing?

Soft hands and warm hearts.. the ladies dream.

Interesting article:

https://www.wynnssc.com.au/Consumables/ReinolHandCleaner-407/

Not sure about Melbourne, Ken. I think 2 litres goes for about $39. This would last AGES as you use about a 20c piece dollop to wash your hands.

That looks to have a Lanolin base to get that soft and silky look.

It was a always a topic for the ladies that shearers have the softest hands and bricklayers the worst!:eek: if you listened to the young ladies at the local country dances years back.

Thanks for that information Stuey. Looks good. I used to buy 4 litre tins of the better hand cleaners, so I guess for a product like that it is worth spending the $39.

Might need to get two tins, one for in the house and one strictly for the garage.:headbang:. Mother will be happy as I won't need to pinch her bottle of swipe cleaner...any more.

Ken :D

There are several brands of pumice hand cleaner, and most are more readily available than Reinol, not only at motor trade places but also at cleaners' suppliers. Solvent-free can be a misnomer when citrus oils are included.

There are several brands of pumice hand cleaner, and most are more readily available than Reinol, not only at motor trade places but also at cleaners' suppliers. Solvent-free can be a misnomer when citrus oils are included.

Got a few tubs of those, most not as good as they used to be, yet to get one that is effective on stubborn stains (like on Fertan staining for instance) Maybe they have had their effective chemical ingredients removed.

Ken

It's certainly not the pumice that makes Reinol good; that's not even a factor in my rating. Whatever chemicals they use really work, but as I wrote above, the best part is that it then rinses really quickly and cleanly and leaves your hands smooth and totally residue free. All other hand cleaners I've used leave a residue of some sort and usually some sort of smell. I won't be using any other products from now on.

Last edited:
Ah the smell. Stuey you will remember "Swarfega" Using this took me back a few years working in the UK. Memories of Ernie from Kenya furiously scrubbing his hands with Swarfega. I told him his hands would never get white! You could say things like that back then.

Ha ha ha!

My Dad has a pump pack hand cleaner in his servo workshop called 'Quick Smart'. It worked great, but your hands smelled like turps...may as well have used turps!

I once used sand soap. Our older members will remember the blocks it came as.

You mean it was more coarse than Solvol ? :eek:

Well lets say that the original was a larger block more like a small brick and solvol was the smaller personal soap size marketing exercise.

We used to get the smaller soap bar size solvol (AKA sand soap), issued at 6 bars at a time, unwrapped of course, when I was an apprentice at the Gov. Ordnance Factory Bendigo, they used boxes and boxes. I think half of Bendigo used that issued soap.

I went to school in the WA Wheat Belt and we had this tan coloured sand soap in the toilet block. I think it was used so one bar lasted two years, because it was like rubbing your hands with a slightly slippery brick.

Of course, the more inventive bullies used to roughen up their victims' testicles with said brick. You always knew who was being bullied by the just-got-off-a-horse walking gait on the way home from school as a result of a friction modified throbbing scrotum. Fortunately I was never the recipient of the old 80 grit block on my privates.

Edit: Thinking back, maybe it was normal Govt issue soap which had been dropped in the sand...

Last edited:
Pearson's made it - it looked like a brick in a pink paper wrapper. Solvol is the soft-skinned wimps' version.

In my teen years the sandsoap clean you mentioned was preceded by a boot blacking. Reserved for the truly objectionable.

It wouldn't happen today.