Re-attaching Badges

PDJ

Fellow Frogger
I've got to re-attach some boot badges to the slatted panel on my 205.
Should I trust double sided tape or sack a tonne of silicones?

They are original badges so I don't want then to fall off

Thanks

Most modern cars have their badges stuck on these days with effectively double sided tape, but I would hit up panelbeaters supply companies for the right tape. People like VG Autos or KGP in Sydney or see if there are equivalents up the coast.

In my opinion silicone is a definite no-no because it will root the paint. The judicious use of Sikaflex is quite effective for badges but can be a little messy. The 3M double sided tapes do work a treat, it's the modern way. :2cents:

Last edited:
I would use double sided tape and 3M brand would be the way to go.

100% this. 3M VHB (Very High Bond) auto tape is what I used to attach my badges and the outer skirts on the 205.

Ebay is your best bet if you cannot find it locally (SCA/Repco/Bunnings didn't stock this when I was searching).

Link

Yes double sided tape is your best ber. I tried to buy specific car badge tape as the panel beaters use but its expensive. So buy either narrow ir wide 3M red tape for external use. And spend a fair amount of time trimming before peeling and sticking😁
Happy days

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

I've got to re-attach some boot badges to the slatted panel on my 205.
Should I trust double sided tape or sack a tonne of silicones?

They are original badges so I don't want then to fall off

Thanks

As others have said, 3M VHB is th way to go but spend a little time on preparation
of the mounting site.
Give the area a good clean with paint thinners or isopropyl alcohol to de-grease
the contact area.
Also the back of the badge....and make sure you have the badge properly lined up
as you apply it.....you only get one crack at it ;o))

I used paint thinners once to clean paintwork and the paint started dissolving. Prepsol may be a better way to go.