RCZ check engine & possible stretched timing chain.

gordon twyford

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi there, first entry on the forum. I have a check engine symbol on my 2011 RCZ automatic dash, and a rattly engine at start-up. Also, very limited power on the highway (even for an automatic). I suspect stretched timing chain. Does anyone know of a reliable, not ridiculously expensive workshop who could diagnose and repair my poor old RCZ engine. I live 2 hours south of sydney. Cheers. Gordon.

If you get in contact with Peugeot you may be able to get them to contribute to the cost, if not cover the lot. This is a known issue with the 1.6T engine. I had the rattle in my 2015 308, but it turned out all it needed was a top-up of oil. I changed the tensioner ($95 part + 30 mins labour) anyway as a precaution and have had no issues since. I still suspect the chain will need to be done eventually. I have spoken with one other T9 308 owner, and he had it done at 120,000km at no charge at the Peugeot dealership. It seems like it is luck of the draw as to whether you will need to change it or not, and whether it happens early or late in ownership. If you are lucky, it might just be the tensioner.

Hey thanks pugtastic, you give me hope.only owned the car a short while, has just 83k kms, so a bit of a shock to be faced with a biggish bill so soon, and with relatively low kms. Had a manual petrol RCZ years ago, and found the h/power to be adequate, but despite the lower h/power of the automatic, it really disappoints. I'll try peugeot and keep fingers crossed. I'll really be impressed if they help out. Cheers.

A T9 is a lot more recent than a 2011 RCZ. I think it is very unlikely Peugeot will contribute at age 11 years, especially if you would be asking for help to fix a problem you recently acquired from a PO. However, it's always worth checking that there are no service campaigns left outstanding, particularly if the vehicle hasn't seen a dealer for some years. There were some vehicles where you might have ended up with a chain or a thermostat housing etc., but it is quite unlikely now, especially if there is a dealer service history. The Moss Vale dealer might be closest and is worth contacting. You really need to know how much the chain has stretched and how far out the timing is as a result. Don't mess about with non-genuine parts here.
As to the loss of power, there are a number of possible reasons - turbo wastegate issue, leaking vacuum circuit (=no turbo boost), high pressure fuel pump, turbo pipe leak, engine cover diaphragm ... . There are a few recent threads on these if you go looking. If the chain is very stretched, you should be seeing a cam 'synchronisation' fault along with the rattle.
Does it have any faults recorded? Checking the faults logged and ensuring the battery is good would be a good place to begin.

Last edited:
Hi there, first entry on the forum. I have a check engine symbol on my 2011 RCZ automatic dash, and a rattly engine at start-up. Also, very limited power on the highway (even for an automatic). I suspect stretched timing chain. Does anyone know of a reliable, not ridiculously expensive workshop who could diagnose and repair my poor old RCZ engine. I live 2 hours south of sydney. Cheers. Gordon.

These engines need knowledgeable mechanical experience. Not local garage.
Worth it, to find an independent Pug shop, or Dealership.

Hey Pal, I own a RCZ Mk2 THP200 and a THP150 207cc Sport.

I replaced the chain (full kit) at 100,000 on the THP150. Mechanic said it was bit stretched and timing was out.
My RCZ has done 80,000 k and when at 100,000 I'll give it the chain treatment.

Every 100,000 klicks.

This is what I purchased recently for the RCZ from eBay. My mechanic charges $600 labour.

You will need this one. These are excellent value for money.

Last edited:
I have a stellar RCZ 1.6
In Brisbane best garage to go to is Peugeot tech in Brendale.
They know Peugeot they know the RCZ.
Less expensive than dealerships and at half the price for a better knowledge and expertise of service.
Having stem valve and timing chin replaced plus other work at $ 3,500.

I have a stellar RCZ 1.6
In Brisbane best garage to go to is Peugeot tech in Brendale.
They know Peugeot they know the RCZ.
Less expensive than dealerships and at half the price for a better knowledge and expertise of service.
Having stem valve and timing chin replaced plus other work at $ 3,500.
Up sell up sell