RCS Clutch problem... maybe ? Advice please :)

Clio clutch issue revisited

I'm thinking that maybe I do have a problem with my clutch after all. I said in my original message that the clutch only starts to grab in the last inch of pedal travel.... well its actually lucky to be 10mm and when the car gets hot it can be even less. After a few decent starts (i dont thrash it or dump the clutch) it can get so it hardly wants to grab at all in first. I'm getting Renault to check it next week some time but I've read posts on cliosport.net about the same problem and one guy said he had the pedal position reset.

Anyone know anything about this ?

Mine sits about an inch or more higher than the brake pedal. Normal ?

The thing is it never seems to slip one I've got any momentum up.

Cheers

Josh

I'm pretty sure the RCS has a cable operated clutch
Simply find where the cable attaches to the clutch fork and tighten up the nut a bit more ( you will probably have to lossen off a lock nut 1st).
The way you describe it the clutch will not slip but you may have trouble selecting gears
The demo I drove had the opposite problem the clutch did not bite until the pedal was almost all the way out.
Cheers
Ps rear belt is cool and functional especially with A 2YO , 5 YO and adult in the back

RSCLIO said:
The demo I drove had the opposite problem the clutch did not bite until the pedal was almost all the way out.

Yeah thats what I meant. Sorry I probably wasnt clear. It doesnt bite until its about 10mm or less from being totally released.

In that case you need to loosen off the cable
The tough part I think will be acessing the cable I haven't checked it out on mine
The point is my car was different to the demo so its not just like that

yea, I find the clutch is hella sensitive, but once perfected allows for some of the most supernatual traffic merging in T intersections witnessed by mankind! (good for takeoffs). But after driving my girlfriend's new Honda Jazz around for a week (while my european sports car stays in the garage to be played with on weekends ;) ) which has the most user friendly clutch every built (very light and long in release) I stalled about three times when I got back in the Clio to go for a blast! :mallet:

Another note - Blacklotus; how you mentioned that the Clio starts 2nd time every time in the cold, I have found the solution is to turn the key to ignition 2 (one step back from actually turning the car on) and letting the fuel lines prime for about four seconds. Then switch on! This has worked for me first time every time since i started doing it and I have successfully started my car in 4 degree cold on a typicall f$%king freezing Lismore winter morning. :)

The only other thing I will mention RE traction control; I heard that in the wet, doing a heavy dump from the standing stop will make it work a bit like launch control. Well, I tried it at the lights in Tugun (up the coast near Gold Coast) and got a whole assload of wheel spin and not much else - and was outrun by a doofed up excel in the process (oh the humanity). For cornering though, it totally rocks. I arrived at work so early today that the whole car park was empty and it was raining >:) so I gave it a dose of full stering lock and full throttle out of second. The result, you could feel the car loose all traction, but still went exactly where it was pointed. I travelled almost perfectly sideways into my park... shame no one was around to see my P plating act of greatness - not that that will be happening much as of next week when my licence suspension starts... :(

I test drove a RSC last night. Had 32,000 on it and I did notice that it had an unusually high friction point for the clutch. No where near 10mm, however I would say that it would only start to grab with about 20% action left.

I have seen a couple of rs' in my local area, lower north shore, specifically a red one and also a silver. Are these folks part of this forum? If so (or others in the local area) would be good to take a quick punt sometime. Get in touch. I saw two guys flying up the expressway in Maserati Shamal's (probably the most violently fast car I have ever driven.) the other week. Got me thinking.[/QUOTE]

I'm on the Nth Shore as well. Give us a wave if you see me, blue Mk1

Would be good if you can join us w/end 19th/20 June (not sure which day yet or where) for a RCS "drive day". Sedately, of course. Hopefully we'll get more than the 10 RCS from last time :eek:

Just list under the database of Oz_Clio_Sport on yahoo groups.

David

Is the drive a happening thing? Meeting place and time? If I'm not working, I'd be keen to be there.