Ray's Grenouille Verte R10 !!!!

geckoeng

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have been convinced today that I must start a thread on the R10.

It will be a slow build, and nothing fancy such as a Resto or Rebuild. It will be just stuff I do to up grade the car to where I want it. And I am not going to give a frame work as to what I want to do. It will be spur of the moment, and as I have time to do things.

OK, the car. The papers say it is a '68 R10 with 1108 motor in it. It came from the east, brought over by a friend, who thought he wanted to get into classic cars. I feel he had been done by the seller, as he was told it had been resprayed and was in good condition, and had a very recent warrant of fitness. Running wise it went well, needed a proper service and tune up. But it was an oil leak on wheels, it had stone age tyres on it, that were very cracked on the sidewalls and treads. It ran very warm and did not like long uphills. Pulled to one side, and even worse when you got the brakes to work, and one front and one rear calipers and the master cylinder were leaking. So it needed quite a bit of work to get a road worthy for registration in WA.

Motor and gearbox came out and and all the brakes were stripped off and parts were bought, full set of seals rear and front wheel bearings. When I took the boots off the side shaft tubes a mug of oil fell out of each side. So it was all cleaned and serviced and painted and re-assembled. A rad recore was done as it was very blocked. I also pulled the fuel tank as everything was out and had it dipped and cleaned. New top bushes in the front suspension. So in reality it was a mechanical re-build. When I got it running and went for a test, I was most impressed with the change in character. It was a very nice car to drive, and it went over the pits whit a pass first time, and the guys were most impressed, in particular not a drop of oil.

My friend drove the car a bit, but I think it was not what he wanted and the outside did look a bit rough. And I think he fell out of love with it. Also he had not put it on club plates so it cost a lot each payment time for a car that was sitting. So it was put up for sale, I made a reasonable offer which was refused, so I left it alone. Then it came up for sale again at reduced price, and after 2 weeks I sent him a text reminding him of my offer, he came back and accepted, and we did the deal. and so I have a classic car that is on the road, and Saturdays and Sundays are set aside in the workshop to do my Grenouille Verte.

And so it has started!!!!

Ray

20160526_164843.jpg

Today I used part of the morning to fit a micro switch unit for a stop light switch at the foot pedals. I had made the unit a few weeks ago, and it was sitting on the workbench.

I hate with a passion the pressure switches as they normally need a decent bit of line pressure to work the switch and hence the stop lights. And although my friend had fitted a new switch, it was still taking some time to come on. With the micro switch as you are taking up the play on the master cylinder the lights come on. Far better and I am much happier. All my other rear engined car have had this mod done, and I know there has been discussion on AF about it. Quick and easy and much safer !!!

20160617_145142.jpg20160617_151150.jpg20160617_145107.jpg

Hi Kim,
I know, I never had a set of Ricaro's lying around neither until last year. I will admit I have always loved the comfort of the R8/10 seat on a long trip, and I have done quite a few. But the form fitting comfort of the Ricaro's works very well with my mature body.

Ray

Today I used part of the morning to fit a micro switch unit for a stop light switch at the foot pedals. I had made the unit a few weeks ago, and it was sitting on the workbench.

I hate with a passion the pressure switches as they normally need a decent bit of line pressure to work the switch and hence the stop lights. And although my friend had fitted a new switch, it was still taking some time to come on. With the micro switch as you are taking up the play on the master cylinder the lights come on. Far better and I am much happier. All my other rear engined car have had this mod done, and I know there has been discussion on AF about it. Quick and easy and much safer !!!

View attachment 85809View attachment 85810View attachment 85811

I don't know whether I should tell you this but a few of the rally cars I have navigated in had a switch that disconnected the brake lights. Absolutely amazing results when another car is right up your backside.........

John - I just don't like the pressure switches !!!!

Never had a microswitch stop working - yet.

Ray

Odd, Ray, this year I had a really frustrating intermittent failure of the brake lights. I had fitted a microswitch (there's a thread somewhere I think) a couple of years earlier, agreeing with you about the sometimes poor performance of the pressure switches. My lights now come on before the brakes.

Anyway, it's all a bit fiddly in there and I had the whole thing in and out three times, testing all the bits separately, and all was always perfect until I reassembled. Then it would be u/s. "Bugger" many times!!

It was the microswitch in the end, and a new one fixed the problem. It is the first time I've seen one fail.

I haven't connected the pressure switch in parallel either.

Reverse Lights ???

I have lately been doing quite a bit of driving at night because I now have the lights and hooters running off of relays, and they are just so nice. But one bug bare has been no reverse lights on the R10. So there were a whole box of spare lights in the R12 I sold last year, and in the box were a set of well used reverse lights for the R12. So I stripped and cleaned and plated all the parts did some repairs and they were back together.

So I installed them in the rear panel, and did all the wiring to get them to work. Then came the bracket for mounting a micro switch at the gear box nose. Spare box out measure all and start making brackets. Eventually last week my plater was back from a long Christmas break. So on Saturday morning I did the nasty and installed the switch system. And connected.

DSCN0165.jpgDSCN0168.jpgDSCN0123.jpgDSCN0169.jpgDSCN0170.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0168.jpg
    DSCN0168.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 484
You are a pussycat, Ray!

My R10 and all my rally cars used a Hella 550 as a reversing light. 75k km/h (at valve bounce) backwards at night anywhere......

Hey Kim,

I am an "Old Man" and all I want to do is see where I am going at night when reversing ............ !!!!

Ray

Thanks for the detail on the switch Ray, I was thinking of adding reversing lights on the R8G and Alconi.

Its a problem reversing around the race car collection sometimes when I want to get one of the Renault fleet out of the shed without turning on all the shed lights. I tend not to valve bounce at 7,500 when reversing unless I forget to lift off the accelerator. Short term memory loss another problem when we get older.

BTW, is that white R10 with the red stripe an Alconi clone ?

Last edited:
Do I have to clear the workshop completely before taking pictures..... !!!

No the White R10 is a seized 1108 with all standard fitting, that has been standing for about 10 years and is now being revived for a client. He and I have ideas for it down the road. But the immediate plan is to get it running again, to have fun with. It is extremely good condition just that it has been standing for a while.

Ray

Sorry Ray however it was hard to miss if you have a soft spot for interesting 10's. The colour is the reverse of mine which is red with a white stripe so it grabbed my attention. I look forward to seeing the specs when that project comes together. Maybe a supercharged 16TS motor ? Bretts project could prove to be a reliable unit.

Neat switching Ray. I run mine off the spare rocker switch under the steering shroud - radio one way, reversing light the other! Needed it last night, as it happens. I'll be in touch about your plater too!

Cheers

Grenouille Verte has a new Steering Wheel

Thought you would appreciate the rebuilt steering. It was the one I had in the Off-Road car, and all the water and mud had made it very second hand, and the rough work had it rather rickety. And so when the R10 came along it was ideal for this project. I had to remove all the rivets on the old spokes, and put in some incannel rivets so they would not react with the alloy and would not rust, what was the problem with it before.

Then to recover, and what style. Graeme's G had a nice bought wheel with black suede and red stitching, which looked very good but not the suede, and I like 2 tone. Found leather in my bag and did some trials to get a picture, and the style of stitch. and it all came together. Then the actual making of the sleeve and spats. I am not cleaver enough to make one piece spats. But if this was good enough for old Ferraris then it is OK for Grenouille Verte. The hand stitching is murder on the eyes and hands. Last weekend I started the "lacing" and after 3 hours my eyes and hands were so sore, I finished when the top segment was completed and all the spats were done.

Yesterday was a 40C day here, and they said today would be hotter, so I took off Australia Day to complete the steering. I will admit I am very happy with the outcome. It looks "hand made" but I like that, just adds something.... !!!

Take care,
Ray

Moto Lito - Offroad.JPGDSCN0120.jpgDSCN0121.jpgDSCN0123.jpg

a beautiful thing you've made. a steering wheel that looks
and feels good makes a real difference to driving pleasure,
so well worth your suffering!

Background to Grenouille Verte

The green frog is a clone of what we had before.

Mings R10-002.jpg

In the late '60s my friend in Johannesburg bought a "round light" R10S, partially on my advise. She then became my "girl friend". And on many visits to Jo'burg we went out in the R10, and although I had driven many before, I began to like the R10S very much. "Ming" and I began to like each other very much and became very close friends. She worked for a consulting engineering company, and was offered a position in the Salisbury office in Rhodesia. Which she accepted as she wanted to be closer to me and see the new country. Ming brought her R10 with her. We drove the car all over the country visiting all the fantastic country. 2 years after her move we became engaged, and 6 months later we were married. At that time I had the Yellow R4, and because the R4 had more room in it that was used for our long trips and the R10 was our 'town car'.

Ming eventually sold the R10 to buy a '58 Chev Impala Sport Coupe, very rare in Southern Africa.

As I always liked our R10, in particular the way you could drive it in the Jo'burg traffic. So when the opportunity of having another R10 came along I snapped it up. I will keep it in the similar frame of the original, but the clone will be in metallic emerald green, with bright white roof and flash. 14x5 Brahim 3 piece wheels, 1.4 Alconi motor, and 4 speed "big box". Aluminium radiator and oil cooler. And of course Alconi badges on the "C" pillar. I have everything I need, just time........

Things are happening !!!
Ray

Last edited:
Aussie Renault Backyard Mechanics

I have a bone to pick with a Aussie Renault backyard mechanic. He advertised Grenouille Vert on a car site, and a friend bought it from the Melbourne area I believe. My friend was not overly impress with what he had bought and realised it would take a lot of money and time to make a good classic car. So I bought the car. I have been running it for just over 2 years, sorting out all the worn out stuff.

10 weeks ago I was out to look at a classic, driving it spiritedly, and mid song it went Phutt, phuttt, phutt and started to run on 3 cylinders. Well I stopped and checked what I could see and it was #2 that was down. ?Maybe a plug?? so changed plug with #4. Still #2. OK just see the classic and get back to the workshop. Compression ZERO on #2. Rocker cover off, valves working properly, no excessive clearance. It must be a ring broken !!!!

So I drove it on short local runs, as I enjoy driving it, and decided i couldn't do any more harm, so it went on the French and Fantastic run to Mandurah. And funny enough when it got some revs up it made enough compression to fire #2 and run on 4 cylinders.

No matter I put together a set of used pistons and liners and good used rings and a gasket set, all from off the shelf. The head gasket actually was bought in Rhodesis in 1978. The rest of the kit had been used. and then 2 weeks ago I had a weekend to myself. So Friday afternoon it was put in the workshop and I started stripping. Saturday all was cleaned and prepped for assembly. Sunday morning it all started to go back together, and started and run just after lunch. Radiator was all put back in and filled and let down on the floor and final tune and setting and I took it home Sunday evening. It needed a bit of playing with as the distributor was not right, hunting on part throttle running.

Monday morning first thing distributor was changed as the diaphragm had packed in. Reset the carb and timing, and it runs like a new one.

My BEEF is the pistons and liners I took out were disgusting. This car was sold to an enthusiast with, "No Mate !! the engine is beautiful was only rebuilt a short while back". All 4 pistons had picked up in the bores extensively and #1 massively. It had new top rings in (with no bore honing) oil rings were so smeared with aluminium from the seizure, that they could not be removed. After the seizure the car was left for a long time with the pistons half way down the bores, because #2 would have had a huge rust ring in the bore where water had been sitting. With all the driving this rust ring had turned into a 0.5mm deep groove. And with a bit of spirited driving is what destroyed the rings.

20180622_152630.jpg20180625_161710.jpg

It now runs almost like a new one !!!
So Buyer Be Ware !!!

Ray

Ray showed me the old sleeves - I can't imagine putting an engine together with bores like that. Quite surprising it ran for 2 years on 4 cylinders....