RATS!!!

Sorry, but I'm more interested in getting the car going. Anyone replaced the primer bulb and the crank case breather???
Looks like PSA make the fuel supply lines in one piece ie the whole line including the primer and return line come as a single part,
the bulb is moulded into the line. Absolutely ridiculous.

:blush: Sorry, we've hijacked your thread. The rodents themselves are a major concern for a number of us, and my worst nightmare has been that one of my vehicles would be affected like yours has been :mad:.

Armidale is not a grain-growing area, and our rodent problems pale into insignificance compared to Parkes, Gunnedah and Narrabri. We get some rats & mice every year - with a few acres, a big shed with lots of "stuff" in it and a few chooks in an adjoining pen it's hardly a surprise - but they've been the worst I've ever known this year, and the difficulty of buying bait shows that I haven't been the only one. Thankfully the onset of frosts seems to have stopped them - just hope they don't come again in spring.

We were very lucky that they never got into the house (well sealed after a full renovation 10 years ago). However we had plenty in the ceiling, and despite insulation, even mice can be surprisingly noisy! What was getting me down was the way they seemed to come in waves - you'd get them under control, then they'd be back, seemingly in greater numbers each time, and the search for more bait would start again. Each night I'd be worrying about what they were chewing, and each morning wondering which vehicle would be affected.

:blush: Sorry, we've hijacked your thread. The rodents themselves are a major concern for a number of us, and my worst nightmare has been that one of my vehicles would be affected like yours has been :mad:.

Armidale is not a grain-growing area, and our rodent problems pale into insignificance compared to Parkes, Gunnedah and Narrabri. We get some rats & mice every year - with a few acres, a big shed with lots of "stuff" in it and a few chooks in an adjoining pen it's hardly a surprise - but they've been the worst I've ever known this year, and the difficulty of buying bait shows that I haven't been the only one. Thankfully the onset of frosts seems to have stopped them - just hope they don't come again in spring.

We were very lucky that they never got into the house (well sealed after a full renovation 10 years ago). However we had plenty in the ceiling, and despite insulation, even mice can be surprisingly noisy! What was getting me down was the way they seemed to come in waves - you'd get them under control, then they'd be back, seemingly in greater numbers each time, and the search for more bait would start again. Each night I'd be worrying about what they were chewing, and each morning wondering which vehicle would be affected.
Yes, I'm sorry to continue the detour, but that won't stop me......

Or house is 140 years old, and the lime mortar has lots of holes in it, the hearths of the 7 fireplaces have secret tunnels, and the doors have gaps under them, and skirting boards don't always meet the floor. And behind the stoves it's impossible to look for holes...
16231146507685890482033405305382.jpg

And.....
1623114929213257346777758515034.jpg

Things that owners of modern homes just don't understand.

Sorry, but I'm more interested in getting the car going. Anyone replaced the primer bulb and the crank case breather???
Looks like PSA make the fuel supply lines in one piece ie the whole line including the primer and return line come as a single part,
the bulb is moulded into the line. Absolutely ridiculous.
Hadn't heard that Tasmania was in the grip of a rat or mouse plague lately. Sorry about your problems, hope you get them sorted out,

The last mouse plague experienced in Launceston was a few years back now and rats now and then mean purchases of bulk supplies, and my best killer block is the all weather Tomcat in the carry bucket, rodents love it and it works. Don't bother with the New Zealand rubber ring strangler Nooskie..its expensive and never worked (they must have less intelligent rodents there) I have seen what mice can do in a few months of household possession, the stink is impossible the damage is immense and it takes a lot of work to clean up and restore back to a liveable condition. The launceston ant infestations are much easier to endure and the reason big screw top jars sell at a premium in the Opp shops.

Interested in your quick return to enjoyment.

I assumed that the damage was going to be expensive to repair so I put in a claim with my insurer, Apia ( first one ever). My insurance covered car hire for the time the car was out of action.
After a lot of bother, one of which was finding out the whole of the fuel line must be changed to comply with insurance standards.
The parts where ex France and would take 12 weeks to get here via the dealer. So I submitted the claim only to have it rejected on the grounds it was a mechanical failure. I explained to the operator that the damage was caused by an animal. This info. was sent back to the assessors who then said it was an infestation (not covered?). I explained I live in Tasmania not NSW. They then said the claim will be reviewed, this will take 10 working days. I explained I am without transport. They would not budge from their decision.
So being faced with urgent medical appointments in Launceston we have to keep. I rang Baukie in Sheffield who explained its an easy fix with a outboard primer bulb, good quality fuel line and a few hose clamps. So I followed his tips an am now back in action.
Cost less than $50. Allan

Seems Apia car insurance is off the list and NSW motorists should check theirs to see if covered in the present mouse plague!

I assumed that the damage was going to be expensive to repair so I put in a claim with my insurer, Apia ( first one ever). My insurance covered car hire for the time the car was out of action.
After a lot of bother, one of which was finding out the whole of the fuel line must be changed to comply with insurance standards.
The parts where ex France and would take 12 weeks to get here via the dealer. So I submitted the claim only to have it rejected on the grounds it was a mechanical failure. I explained to the operator that the damage was caused by an animal. This info. was sent back to the assessors who then said it was an infestation (not covered?). I explained I live in Tasmania not NSW. They then said the claim will be reviewed, this will take 10 working days. I explained I am without transport. They would not budge from their decision.
So being faced with urgent medical appointments in Launceston we have to keep. I rang Baukie in Sheffield who explained its an easy fix with a outboard primer bulb, good quality fuel line and a few hose clamps. So I followed his tips an am now back in action.
Cost less than $50. Allan

:ROFLMAO: I said to try an boat tank primer a few days back .... it only works where the factory primer/filter (if fitted)is not the reason its loosing prime :)

G'day,

over the last couple of days we replaced three very tired exhaust fans, the little buggers had certainly had some fun with the old units...

DSC01553a.JPG

all three had been attacked at the black plastic plug, note this one they'd had a go at the windings encasement as well.

Black plastic also suffered in the shed. I had a PET bottle with a turps/linseed oil mix in it that lost it's black plastic lid - they didn't have a go at the PET bottle, just the lid.

cheers,
Bob

they seem to have gone off the red baits and gone onto the blue ones ,they last about a week tied down to the battery lead on my fiat ducato ,van they dont seem to be interested in the 307 ,,or 404 ,i was woried about attracting them but they dont apear to be chewing on the van just the bates ,i cut the base out of a 2 litre milk bottle then push the bait up with a wire attached up through the neck so pets cant get at the baits directly ,we dont have a plague up here, but this time of year they are looking for somewhere to camp for the winter .pugs ps i have had lots of experience with them chewing through wires ,how they dont get fried is beyond me ,although i have had a few fried between terminals in upright stoves ,[smelly ]