Rally Oz 2006 - any idea what's happening?

106 Rallye

Fellow Frogger
I know that WA does not want to host the 2006 event and there is interest from some other states, but does anyone know if there has been a decision? I haven't seen anything.

106 Rallye said:
I know that WA does not want to host the 2006 event and there is interest from some other states, but does anyone know if there has been a decision? I haven't seen anything.

I'm sure that WA wants to host Rally Oz (I know I do, as do a lot of others), it's just that the WA Govt does not want to put up money anymore to support the event because it does not give them a big enough return, hence it's probable move elsewhere.

To be honest, I haven't heard anything, but I am nowhere near close to the source. Where ever it goes I hope it stays in Australia.

Troy.

I'm pretty sure the old WA WRC committee are still looking at holding the
round in Perth. xTc would be able to fill us in on this, I'm sure, but he is
in SA for the Pug GTi fest. Stay tuned!

cheers, :)

It has been reported in the papers here that SA are looking at it. But who knows if that's just speculation or if it has any basis.

TroyO said:
I'm sure that WA wants to host Rally Oz (I know I do, as do a lot of others), .... Troy.
OK - point taken, I was meaning the Govt.

I went to WA in 2003 and enjoyed it a lot. Some good access and vantage points, and was I treated like an intelligent adult at 'enthusiast points' (which was a very welcome relief after the RoC of the same year).

For me (based in SYD) somewhere on the east side is always going to be more convenient, though if they get too 'safety-nazi' about it, then it may just be too frustratiing to bear.

We'll see if XTC can shed any light.

From what I've heard, if no one picks it up soon (if WA pass on it), then Australia will lose the round altogether.

gti138 said:
It has been reported in the papers here that SA are looking at it. But who knows if that's just speculation or if it has any basis.
That option is now closed, but I've heard a rumour about it being run in Ballarat by Octagon, the people who run the Australian Safari and Targa Tas.
Graham

Sorry missed this while on holidays.

OK .. Yes WA in it's current format is contracted to run 2005 and 2006, the WA govt has committed the funds for BOTH years. But IF possible the WA govt will try and palm it off to another state for 2006. The private WA bid and the other 2 bids failed. But there is still negotiations going on (inc some late night flights taking place for some "interesting" meetings).

It's not unusual for other countries to move the rally around (like the UK and Finland - but the whole management team moves as well, much harder in AUS to do that), so as much as it pains me WA may loose it, better it go to another state then lose it outright ... there is plenty of other countries lining up. So CAMS better pull their fingers out, or as mentioned the FIA will get jittery and consider withdrawing AUST from the 2007 calendar. There is still time to move in 2006 IF the event stays in November (the second half of the FIA 2006 calendar is not set in concrete yet), you need at LEAST 12 months prep, but if it's moved in 2007 that's plenty of time.

I predict something close to Rally NZ time frame and on east coast say somewhere between SYD and MEL in 2007, if it stays downunder.

We have a pretty big "surprise" for Rally Aust 2005 and the internet, a first for a WRC, so stay tuned.

- xTc -