Raid Question

Renburg

Fellow Frogger
How do the Ducks get on with the hot weather on a raid

with the exhaust permanently connected to the inlet manifold , the carb must get very hot???

The only overheating problem I've experienced or seen is the fuel pump.
It needs to have airflow from the fan via a hole in the cowling/duct.
Otherwise all ok.

Generally road speeds on Raid are low, sometimes very low, and we tootle along at low revs in third gear. So engine heat output is not significant.

Raid is not a race for highly tuned race cars. It's an extended picnic in the bush.

The much greater issue is how to keep the beer cold!

One is more likely to have engine heating issues trying to get to the Raid start point on time (or not loo long after the start time).

Roger

One is more likely to have engine heating issues trying to get to the Raid start point on time (or not loo long after the start time).

Roger
We did drive flat out for 3 very long days, and caught them at dawn on Raid day 2.
Looking back we were lucky to not have any breakdowns, given that one of the cars was on the road for the first time in over 30 years, and had several dozen homemade bits in it !

Certainly, after that shakedown, the rest of the Raid was like a stroll in the park

It was quite a trip. The worst part was passing through a heap of Qld towns and not having time to explore them.

I suppose finding a lost air filter element in the main street of Winton does not actually constitute a breakdown.

I like the term, "extended picnic in the bush". Sounds nicer than a stroll in the park.

Roger