R8G cylinder head.

The exact problem we had with Graeme's Gordini after it was sold. But the head was on its limits when I built the motor. The problem is the heads do not like continuous hard work. If left too long the cracks encroach on the water jacket and you get water into the bores and into the sump in small amounts. When the cracks grow some more they blow back into the coolant, and that can be soon after they get to the water jackets, or a while after. To the point a pieces could break completely, and fall into the combustion chamber, see FRANS, "2 new race cars in NZ" (it was around page 27) unfortunately a lot of the pictures have been deleted. That was a lot of welding and rebuilding. Frans we need the pictures of the piece of head that fell out.

Ray
Head is around at the head place now. He says it can't be welded successfully? Is that true?
I'm a bit worried now our water in sump might be from that and not the liner seals.
I guess we suck it and see.

Are you 100% confident in the head gasket? The car is living up to it's name..... :(

Are you 100% confident in the head gasket? The car is living up to it's name..... :(
It looks fine. Looks brand new, except it's to small. It's a standard 1255cc Gordini gasket not the 1296cc Alpine the pistons are so it overlaps a little but it's sealing fine. I will order the correct one from Mecaparts.

Next thing we're trying to work out is bearings.
Does the 1296 engine use the same BE bearings as standard 8G? Are these standard?
The numbers mean nothing in the parts book.

Attachments

• 8G bearings.jpg
    8G bearings.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 98
Head is around at the head place now. He says it can't be welded successfully? Is that true?
I'm a bit worried now our water in sump might be from that and not the liner seals.
They can be welded ! there is a place in France that does it as their specialty R8G heads ! From what some of my older Renault folk contacts here in Canada stated that when their heads back in the day went bad it was the dissimilarities in materials the head material and the welding material that made it difficult to repair so they started using filler material from other Renault heads of the same vintage and the weld process became quite successful .
I would pressure test the head's water jacket's by blanking off ends and apply 15 to 20 psi to see which is basically the rad cap pressure if their are any leaks you can go from there .
I had a 810 head that was sent out to a local machine shop a number of years ago for a valve job it came back looking good I replaced the head , filled car with water for test run all looked good until checked oil next morning it had gone milky and water was in sump . I pulled engine down re-did the liner seals repeated test run same thing next day . I eventually discovered that when they did the valves they had nicked the throat with the incorrect grind stone just enough for it be into the water jacket which open up when the engine heated up ! I was not a happy customer since Renault parts where scare back then .

If interested I can do a search for the performance shop in France that does that type of repair .

hope things get sorted properly with the engine !

Manic GT

Next thing we're trying to work out is bearings.
Does the 1296 engine use the same BE bearings as standard 8G? Are these standard?
The numbers mean nothing in the parts book.
Bearings are the same when you upgrade to the 1296 you are just increasing the piston size so still same crank and rods ! If engine has been built before it may have had the crank ground for under size bearings so you may have to mike the crank to confirm ! some times bearings will state 10 thou under or what ever the metric size is !

Chemiweld will most likely fix it. Won't be doing many kms? You could order a new one and fit in the future some time.

Hi Dave
Give Steve from CH Tooling & Engineering a call.
He is the real deal, one of the few left that are still casting heads and blocks in Aust.
He has built up a entire Repco Brabham engine and heads for a special he is building up.
He also routinely welds alloys and magnesium (safely).
He can also do dye penetration testing so he can tell you 100% what's up with the head (if anything).
Worth a visit as he is close by.

C.H. Tooling & Engineering
11 Hercules Street, Tullamarine VIC 3043
Phone: +61 3 9330 2050
Email: chtooling11@gmail.com
https://chtooling.com.au/

Bearings are the same when you upgrade to the 1296 you are just increasing the piston size so still same crank and rods ! If engine has been built before it may have had the crank ground for under size bearings so you may have to mike the crank to confirm ! some times bearings will state 10 thou under or what ever the metric size is !
Yes I thought there were the same but just checking. I also thought too that they would be marked but the numbers shown are the only numbers on them.

Hi Dave
Give Steve from CH Tooling & Engineering a call.
He is the real deal, one of the few left that are still casting heads and blocks in Aust.
He has built up a entire Repco Brabham engine and heads for a special he is building up.
He also routinely welds alloys and magnesium (safely).
He can also do dye penetration testing so he can tell you 100% what's up with the head (if anything).
Worth a visit as he is close by.

C.H. Tooling & Engineering
11 Hercules Street, Tullamarine VIC 3043
Phone: +61 3 9330 2050
Email: chtooling11@gmail.com
https://chtooling.com.au/
My fear with welding is that often they crack again next to the weld where the metal has been weakened and that could cause a bigger problem. Dario had Engine Solutions is vac testing it and if that's fine we will put it back on.

I do have another head at home just in case (also cracked) so I could get that ready in needed. Luckily there easy easy to change.

Chemiweld will most likely fix it. Won't be doing many kms? You could order a new one and fit in the future some time.
Pretty much my thoughts too. Although I don't like chemiweld. I use the Nulon radiator stop leak because it looks like coolant and mixes with coolant and stays there until it finds an air leak. That's what we used before the Yass trip and it sealed everything nicely.

They can be welded ! there is a place in France that does it as their specialty R8G heads ! From what some of my older Renault folk contacts here in Canada stated that when their heads back in the day went bad it was the dissimilarities in materials the head material and the welding material that made it difficult to repair so they started using filler material from other Renault heads of the same vintage and the weld process became quite successful .
I would pressure test the head's water jacket's by blanking off ends and apply 15 to 20 psi to see which is basically the rad cap pressure if their are any leaks you can go from there .
I had a 810 head that was sent out to a local machine shop a number of years ago for a valve job it came back looking good I replaced the head , filled car with water for test run all looked good until checked oil next morning it had gone milky and water was in sump . I pulled engine down re-did the liner seals repeated test run same thing next day . I eventually discovered that when they did the valves they had nicked the throat with the incorrect grind stone just enough for it be into the water jacket which open up when the engine heated up ! I was not a happy customer since Renault parts where scare back then .

If interested I can do a search for the performance shop in France that does that type of repair .

hope things get sorted properly with the engine !

Manic GT
I found the web site for R8G head repairs and other performance mod's if nothing else gives good info on what can be done !
https://translate.googleusercontent...2.html&usg=ALkJrhiYVmqW3YFCPKCPHN4FP4rujL7krA

https://translate.googleusercontent...2.html&usg=ALkJrhiYVmqW3YFCPKCPHN4FP4rujL7krA
1618402127735.png

An interesting read .
Manic gt.

The production of these heads is complete I think, after more than 2 years of different problems. The shop in charge has made some heads in the past, and even exposed them at shows. The Djet club has requested a serie for their members, but also open to non-members in order to get a suitable quantity. They cost 2110 euros in complete form (plugs tubes and gudgeons) or 2000 nude, same price for 1108, 1255 and 1255 big valves.
On the cracks side, I always considered the height of the head more important that the fatigue near the spark channels. If you have a go at welding, chances are that you have to go all the way to the spark seat, as the foundry is really thin and does not accept easily the heat. Feasible but quite an adventure, not for the fainted.

Sorry I in the South Island touring back to Auckland with the Matra.
Pressure test and use is what I can say. The one that I had requiring welding was under the valve seat and not into the water jacket. My race car head is in it’s 11 th year with cracks and all. I back at home on Monday.