R8 upgrade project

Bowie, is Gerry one of those Lewis Brothers you speak of ?. Please explain.
The car is a replica for road use. The last one I tried was a little hard to fit into and about half the legroom of a real one. Brett's seems to have ample room under the steering wheel to get your legs in. The seat really needs the proper trim with the ventilation to take the edge off the heat soak. Knowing Brett he will probably come up with some genius aircon, ventilation and seat cooling system.

Ah I was think Aaron Lewis had a GT40 replica recently, he sold, or did he? Ah I get confused.

Not an ideal time to be driving home from work.

Sounded like a midget on crystal meth was outside the car with a ball pein hammer going bonkers.

20211014_155718.jpg

Eek indeed.

Hope all's well and that you are hiding under a tree - that's all that saved our Peugeot 306 when we had the big hail in Perth.

Like your digital speedo.

Is that the G from Perth, by the way?

I once came to a Greek island where all the cars looked as they had been masacered with small ball hammers. A hailstorm half a year before…

I once came to a Greek island where all the cars looked as they had been masacered with small ball hammers. A hailstorm half a year before…
It happens every few years in one part of Australia or another. About 10-15 years ago they reached the size of small oranges and damaged hundreds, if not thousands of cars here in Perth. Similarly up the east coast. It's quite exciting if you are caught in one, we know from experience. Machine gun hammering on the car, the smell of shredded eucalypt trees, waiting for the windows to smash.....

Hi Brett. Have not heard from you for awhile. Is the R8 turbo still running and survived the hail storm mentioned in your post 26 November 2021? Guess you are busy playing with your new toy - the GT40 - awesome bit of kit.

Hi Baz, I last saw Brett before Christmas 2023, the Gordini was on the hoist for a new axle to be fitted. He is probably still on holiday and not checking the AF site. The turbo motor was a Nissan turbo now replaced by an equally fast supercharged, EFI, Renault 807 motor running a very efficient modern technology blower from a Mercedes. Brett’s car has clocked up a lot of miles as a daily driver and seems very reliable.

I have not seen the GT40 yet, but we went on a drive for lunch a few months ago when he took his very fast Datsun 240Z for a run, it has a lot of subtle mods as you would expect.

Hi Chris. Thanks. I guess he needs a holiday after all the work he put into the R8 upgrade. Great it is still running reliably as I was interested in the longevity of the replacement coils.

Hi Brettr

Noted you used ignition coils from a Toyota Yaris/Echo Engine INZ-FE post 16/1/2017 but then discarded them for Chinese ones off eBay. Looking at getting the Toyota coils as they will have specs for engine mapping. Ones I got off eBay are an unknown quantity and had no specs accompanying them. So just wondering why you discarded the Toyota coils?

Thought i share my R8 rebuild and customisation project with the others on this site - this just helps me stay sane because all my other friends think i've lost my marbles playing around with this "weird old car".

Even my son (who is 10) cant get over the fact that the speedo only goes to 120 and that you have to turn this "lever thing" on the door to make the window go down. And to tell the truth i dont know how to respond to him when im working on the car and he walks past and says "How's your gaybo renault going dad?".

Before i put this up i know some people are going to cringe when they see what i am doing to this vehicle (such as cutting up an original 1135 steering etc) but to me driving around a stock standard R8 (even an 1135) doesnt do it for me at all as i have been there and done that when i was 20 (i had about 6 R8's and 3 R10's a 16TS and 17 that i chopped into a convertible etc etc - the 8's ranging from 1132's to a 34 and a 35 and they were always my favourite).

First part is the purchased car which arrived in May 2011.
Sharp rebuild!! Great job 👏

Hi Brettr

Noted you used ignition coils from a Toyota Yaris/Echo Engine INZ-FE post 16/1/2017 but then discarded them for Chinese ones off eBay. Looking at getting the Toyota coils as they will have specs for engine mapping. Ones I got off eBay are an unknown quantity and had no specs accompanying them. So just wondering why you discarded the Toyota coils?
No answer came the swift reply?