R8/R10 Master Cylinder change.

R8philSA

Fellow Frogger
Hi there fellow R8/R10 lovers.

I'm putting this out there for your valued comments.

Is there a more difficult job on a R8/R10 than the MASTER CYLINDER change?? :cry::cry:

And I haven't got a hoist!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Phil

Changing the control arm bushes, but yours is a close second!

Changing a tandem master cylinder with the front radiator hoses restricting access even more, still without a hoist.

All character building stuff, just suck it up and get-r-done !

That's nothing :jiggy: Installing 2 master cylinders with a balance bar in a front radiator car (race car) without a hoist as well.

I don't want to rub it in guys..... Wait a minute, yes I do. Best thing in the tool box.
DSC_4108.jpg

I think adjusting the pedal to master cylinder clearance is harder, particularly as an afterthought (that was me!) with things in place hydraulically. Don't forget to check this and adjust it while you have the MC out/freed up. Getting it right is worth the effort.

I use a big socket, extension and breaker bar to get the big switch at the end undone - wish I'd learned that about three changes earlier! Easier and much safer with respect to fingers to be heaving from the front of the car instead of underneath.....

Some time back, Alan Moore suggested changing the retaining bolts from 10 mm to Allan-head bolts, an excellent suggestion, which I wish I'd learned about four changes ago.

If you had silicone fluid in mind, now's the time!

What diameter have you decided upon?

Do have fun!! :)

(Oh, and I wish too!!!)

After 35 years of having an 8G restoration in limbo, having installed tandem cylinders in A110's in the meantime...
Should be a doddle in the 8. It's up on the hoist after all.
Source a tandem, line it up, make all new steel brake lines including rubber hose protection.
Then realise the G runs a (single circuit ) vac brake booster in the boot...DOH!!

Not on the hoist Steve, that's the "I wish" set of comments! I keep looking at how I could fit one of those half height twin post ones in but there's a slight issue here with the combination of the second post clashing with where my wife's car sits.....

We all just jack them up as high as realistic and safe I guess.

I think Steve was sharing his own experience...

You can always put one car on the hoist and park the other undernieth. Or get some of the gadgets you put under wheels and roll one car sideways. Bit of a pain getting cars in and out that way I guess. But the 8 or 4CV if they are not driven often might work.

The only issue is working undernieth with all those up rights under the car and restricting access to the very spots your most likely to want to get to. I guess the engine weight would have to be at the front where the rams are. In the case of your rear engine cars you may have to reverse on.

The trick with some hoists with rear engines cars, especially Alpine GTA's is to fill the front boot with
weighty objects. Tyres, oil containers, scones baked last week by the wife, etc.

Hi there fellow R8/R10 lovers.

I'm putting this out there for your valued comments.

Is there a more difficult job on a R8/R10 than the MASTER CYLINDER change?? :cry::cry:

And I haven't got a hoist!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Phil

I ended up putting in my new MC in and out 3 times trying to figure out what was wrong any why it wasn’t bleeding. All on my back with car raised on jacks about 500mm off the ground. Ended up getting it towed to my mechanic with all my knuckles skinned. he confirmed an issue with the new (mecaparts) MC.
Got a new valve fitted and in again
His work was all done on a hoist!!

View attachment 102541

Last edited:
The trick with some hoists with rear engines cars, especially Alpine GTA's is to fill the front boot with
weighty objects. Tyres, oil containers, scones baked last week by the wife, etc.

Damn, I should have kept all that biscuit shortening. Mind you, I don’t have a hoist either.
I did wonder about the safety aspect of a two post hoist with an RER.

Damn, I should have kept all that biscuit shortening. Mind you, I don’t have a hoist either.
I did wonder about the safety aspect of a two post hoist with an RER.

I think two-post is OK, it is the support arms (four needed) and mounting that matters. My Citroen CX has 70% of its considerable weight over the front wheels and the rear fuel tank reportedly needs to be full to support it without it tilting forward on axle stands located as far forward as just behind the front wheel arches! For obvious reasons, I haven't tested this.

I definitely covet my neighbour's hoist!!

How's that master cylinder going Phil?