R8 at Shannons

Lovely brochure shots of new cars from the manufacturer don't always reflect the quality of the item to be auctioned!

Interesting. No R8 details yet but I can see one of the common rust spots and that it has been repainted at an average standard. Were any R8s sold in Oz as late as 1967 with those hubcaps?

Will be interesting to read the spiel on them and see the extra photos when they're added. Was this Fuego for sale a while back and discussed on here? The side mouldings look familiar. I seem to recall Jo saying they're not right. I'd love that Fuego, looks like a pearler to me :tongue:
I had a standard 64 R8 in that colour, that went to Clive Atkinson. He did a great job of restoring it and his blue Virage :approve:

Hi John,

I had wondered if that might be Clive’s old car but the wheels (and hubcaps) and indeed interior look wrong. I think Clive’s had a light tan interior? Strange that an 8 in that condition pops up and no one can place it.

Front and rear mudflaps are interesting too - surely that must help ID it for someone - certainly not on Clive’s car from my recollection.

Hi KB, definitely not Clive's, as you are right, Clive changed the original red interior to the tan colour. Looks like R10 hubcaps.

It must be a very late R8 as it has R10 c pillars same as the gordini's
Wow, that's observant! I know of a couple of R10s that have been retrofitted as R8s. I wonder? Otherwise it must be an import I guess.

Maybe someone finally took a Gordini shell to reshell an 1132!

I guess oval and diamond plate numbers will tell all.

I’ve got some inner rear wheel arches that can turn a 10 into an 8 somewhere but I may need to utilise them on an 1134 that is somewhat holy

Screenshot_2021-11-30-23-28-32-61_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Looks like old Renault's are finally on the price hike band wagon! Great for owners, not so great for traditional Renault buyers who're used to buying them for nix. Old cars that're still cheap seem to be getting fewer and fewer. Even the nice red Fuego surely must have set a price record for one of them!

Looks like old Renault's are finally on the price hike band wagon! Great for owners, not so great for traditional Renault buyers who're used to buying them for nix. Old cars that're still cheap seem to be getting fewer and fewer. Even the nice red Fuego surely must have set a price record for one of them!
It's interesting isn't it? Old Renaults have always been cheap relative to some other vehicles, which is good for enthusiasts trying to acquire one and some people have always talked down the prices - you know "I'd never pay that much etc etc". An original, unmolested (more or less) R8 is a pretty rare car. There are far more 4CVs and perhaps R10s lurking out there and perhaps more Dauphines. So the price isn't really high but there are so few orginal ones sold it's hard to see a trend. Certainly a running and reasonable (not concors) Gordini would fetch 3-4 times that price and I'd argue they are more common!
Again, not that many change hands, and few at public sales, but "good" 4CVs certainly can exceed $15K these days. Of course it only takes one buyer who really wants a car (or two at an auction).

It must be a very late R8 as it has R10 c pillars same as the gordini's
It actually looks like the ex-Phil Thompson's car from Adelaide. This car was sold privately in 2019 following Phil's death in February of that year.
As with all of Phil's Renaults, they were all in immaculate condition.

Kev.