r4 fabrication date

noddy

Fellow Frogger
my r4 was delivered in cornwall in england early 1974 but was it fabricated in 1973;? if it was and i can prove it,i would be able to historically register it here in SA now. I have heard a rumour that cars registered or fabricated after 31.12.73 will no longer be eligble for concessional (historic) rego ... diamond plaate no is5356241 oval plate is r1123 42600 ,1508078 and eng no is2725631. has anyone out there any info on these numbers with regards to actual fabrication date in france??? thanks

Depending on your car, and its Diamond and Oval plates..

There is a 2 digit number in the bottom of the diamond, this may hold the last 2 digits of the model year, this started in about 74. Your hoping for nothing there I guess.

The oval plate should be like:
R0000
00 000 000
The bottom line may indicate the model year as well. Can't find my full build by year listing right now. I just have how many were made in each year up until 1971 by type.

De club registrar usually gots'ta de final say on de datin' uh de wheels based on available evidence. What it is, Mama! Check de PR808 fo' de build sequence uh yo' R4

Ray Bell:
I have no idea on the numbers, but isn't Club registration now uniform across Australia?

And available for any car thirty years old?
Down here it's 25 years and they check too. I did an inspection and passed a 16TS that was 25 years old and when the owner went to register it he found it hadn't quite turned 25 yet so he had to park it for a couple of months.

David.

So the laws aren't uniform yet?

I'm thinking of going that way with the 404. It's a bit of a toss-up at the moment, and I'll have to find out all the rules on usage.

But it's no newer than a 1970 model, so it's outside the 30 years.

Just to respond to Ray's statement -

In NSW it is 30yrs definately. To find out the rules you must contact the club you are/intend going with. They must be a part of CMC and registered with the RTA as a club eligble for Concessional Registration (what the new scheme is called). The only exception to that are Hot Rods (who seem to have a non-RTA scheme sanctioned way before the RTA got their act together; and people who want tractors; forklifts and other machinery registered on a similar scheme which is still part of concessional registration).

The CMC/RTA has set broad guidelines for what is acceptable usage and it is up to the individual clubs to document these rules for their club in a suitable manner (eg in the constitution of the club). They can vary from club to club with regard to administration but won't vary too much on usage.

Having said that the vagueness extends to using wording like an "acceptable distance is allowed for conducting a service run" separate to notifiable movements or use for club events.

in the city where I live 5-10km may be considered acceptable. In the country, that may not even get you to your front gate in some extreme examples - so the club has the final say.

The original limit when the concessional scheme started in NSW was 8kms. It has now been extended to up to 50kms because country-folk complained that the nearest petrol station was sometimes not as close as 8kms away. My R10 is on the scheme.. works well.. and its just had its first reregistration under the scheme too. $53 including greenslip I think it cost, plus the pinkslip. RCCA decided to keep the pinkslip check as standard as then the cars have a chance of being checked at their normal times and not all on one day by the appointed club, and less admin hassles. Seems to be working quite well for the RCCA, now having more than 10 cars on the scheme, I think maybe 15 now, and last year in April we had none.

If you can find out when it was delivered, ie maybe in Jan or Feb then it would be pretty reasonable to expect it was made in 73 given delivery times back then would have been slower than today I guess.

noddy:
my r4 was delivered in cornwall in england early 1974 but was it fabricated in 1973;? if it was and i can prove it,i would be able to historically register it here in SA now. I have heard a rumour that cars registered or fabricated after 31.12.73 will no longer be eligble for concessional (historic) rego ... diamond plaate no is5356241 oval plate is r1123 42600 ,1508078 and eng no is2725631. has anyone out there any info on these numbers with regards to actual fabrication date in france??? thanks
Simon - where are you??

JohnW

Down here in Tassie there is a new scheme called Special Interest registration. It costs half what normal rego does, and you get a log book. You can go any distance at any time, but you only get 52 days per year. If you are stopped without that day filled in you are in trouble.
I might go that way for the 404.

From the fabrication number of 1508078 it would indicate that the car is a 1975 model year car.

Fabrication number starting points for each model year as follows:

MY 1973 1239157
MY 1974 1357386
MY 1975 1494029

The model years start in September of the previous year.

Thinking that the car has a rego plate that resembles your handle, it does have the black square grille of the 1975 model too.